Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Jane Kelly is undoubtedly the best piece of lore that came out of the entire X-com franchise. When you have to reevaluate what was an idle video game moment into "Actual combat horror moment of watching your entire small squad brutally gunned down meters away from you, and escaping by seconds, I wonder if they got PSTD?" And now she's some composed veteran playing parent figure to a bunch of kids going through the same (hello Claymore you monster), it's great.

Or you can just ignore all that and have a giggle every time the name is dropped by the Chosen etc. Lovely easter eggs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
That was kinda retconned in, I liked Vahlen in the first game =/

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Yea, the air game in Xenonauts seemed interesting at first, but I quickly realized it wasn't what I was there for, and just added a point of campaign failure, especially if I just hit the autoresolve button.

Minigames are 'mini' for a reason, could you imagine playing the first X-com if (eg) you had to worry about plumbing in your base layout?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Yea I feel that 2's base game has the mood all over the place, so the Chosen didn't bother me. I still prefer XCOM1's mood and visual style, especially with the armour designs.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Funny, I viewed meld as a "You have two options, robots or frogmen" so of course I chose robots. So when I ended up with a meld surplus lategame... I just made another robot. Had maybe one frogleg'd guy, so I got to keep all my sexy titan and archangel armour dudes.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Interceptor had absolutely no merits, I'm sorry man. Its combat was the worst part of the game by miles, and all the rest was just vanilla base-building stuff not much differed from the originals. It deserves to be forgotten.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Yea, my advice for XCOM2 has always been: Buy and play vanilla, finish the game, *then* go back and buy literally everything and enable it all at once. The new content can be quite overhwelming, and so one benefits from a less cluttered playthrough first.

Vanilla is a perfectly complete product, so it's a good representation to just buy the base game before finishing the bundle.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
What kind of bullshit are we talking about? iirc the 'must have' mod list was only like four or five long and installed with a click from workshop.

edit: Steam remembers my subscribed mods:
-Stop Wasting my Time [wotc]
-Gotcha // Gotcha Again [wotc]
-Instant Avenger Menus
-Evac All
-Idle Supression

The last is me just being silly, the first two are the 'must haves' iirc.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Apr 15, 2023

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Is that the one where you're grounded, perhaps with some sentries (if you build the base module), and there's some big cannon in the distance you have to disable?

If so, take it slow, the time limit was pretty generous iirc. Secure the starting area and with the huge amount of extra bodies you have just slowly sweep towards the cannon, overwatch gangbusting whoever you come across. Archon king is easily the biggest problem there, by a mile.

If it's a different mission, Archon king is still a whole load of trouble and you kind of have to accept that his big aerial "hit every team member in one turn" is total bullshit and you'll probably lose a guy to it.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Nobody died, no man left behind, sounds like a great mission good work!

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Sparks suffer from not being the impossibly butch MECs from the first game, which is fine by me but understandably a let down.

They also have the interesting position of being a huge opportunity cost, as all the DLC addons are parallel upgrades and you only have so much money to go around. I typically skipped psi, not because it's optimal, but because I didn't like how can't-use-me-yet, but-win-more-when-you-do they are. So all that money goes into other techs (and not wasting avenger power on the expensive psi room), so Sparks get a shoe-in from all the extra money, with only EXO armour providing competition from the cores.

I like them, they eventually fall off after everyone gets to colonel (+wotc extra skills), but having mister reliable in the midgame is nice.

edit: Also, Julian.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Nono, you're totally right, the Tier3 aesthetic is nowhere near as cool at XCOM1's titan & archangel stuff.

edit: Just looked it up, and drat, even the Tier2 stuff looks ways better. Shame.
edit2: Know what would fix this? COSMETIC MODS.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
The game was shoved out the door literally days before lockdown, I'm amazed there even where post-release patches. Also, ten bucks.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Arven posted:

That's almost the plot of Silent Storm

The good half of it, sigh.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Joke Soloman, the lead dev of the nuCom, has oficially moved on after like eight years of polishing the same game. So the series is probably gonna sit in the chiller for another few decades, until mankind gamers needs it again.

Oh, and as far as I could tell, snek never kicked door, she only punched them open =/

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Elblanco posted:

I'm about to give xcom 2 a shot for the first time and I was wondering if there's any tips I should know or mods I should grab before I start. No dlc though.

Advice I've given over the years and will stand by: Play the base game first, no DLC whatsoever. Then, once you've either won (on your second attempt, typically) or are far enough in that you feel confident in knowing what you're doing, buy all DLC and turn it all on at once for another playthrough. It throws a _lot_ of poo poo at the wall, which can be hugely overwhelming for a new player. But it's all great content that you eventually want to experience fully!

Suggested mods:
Stop Wasting My Time - Speeds up a lot of animations and pauses, but will also cut out a few nags from Bradford regarding timers and civilian deaths which could be a bad thing. Enable it after a few missions imo.
Numeric Health Display - Less pretty than vanilla, but once enemies show up with 10+ hp it's too drat hard to figure out if they're in 2-hit range or not. So enable when you see those huge health bars.
Gotcha Again - Adds a lot of useful infographic symbols which tell you about lines of sight and stuff. Might be super esoteric when still learning the controls, but borderline essential once you're getting good at things (WotC even stole a few things from this mod!). So enable it after a few missions.

There's a few other personal preference mods out there (evac all, etc), but those are the "big must-haves", imo. Note that the game plays good w/o them and you're fine to do a few missions first and then enable them to notice what's different - they play nice and can be enabled/disabled without breaking any save files. Be careful in subscribing to the right ones tho, as there are WotC and non-WotC versions of all three iirc.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
With 300 hours in you're probably doing yourself a disservice with not playing Alien Rulers. Them being bollocks is mostly sticker shock at an enemy that can honestly (threaten to) win a 1v6, but if you're aware of their gimmick and are good at the game they all go down with at worst a few injuries.

For sword mods I don't know of any, and honestly the Assassin's sword and Psi Blades (?) all have 100% so it's no big drama imo, just spec your WotC rangers for shotguns first and swords only once you spot the Assassin maybe?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Yea there's a reason Alien Rulers where released alongside cryo grenades.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
He's joking, it has nothing to do with tactics games. It's a 2d subnautica/farmville game.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Jamsque posted:

Since there is no soldier-level progression beyond stat increases there is no individuation or personality to them, all your troops are fungible cardboard cutouts to attach different loadouts to.

The quoted part seems very deliberate, alongside the batman cowl vision (lol good expression), but yea all of that and more is why I bounced from Xenonauts1. Its like... yes, I've played this game. 20+ years ago. We can take the good stuff and improve upon the rest, slavish apery isn't really appealing.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I give them credit for the air combat thing. It wasn't my cup of tea, at all, but at least it was something they saw in the original that they felt could be upscaled into something fast & fun. If the rest of the game was littered with such attempts, hit or miss, I'd have most respect for the game.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
As much as I enjoyed Mechanicus, it was really ruined when I noticed that there was a man behind the Oz's curtain: Necron default behavior is to shoot at the closest guy, no rng involved. It really sucked the air out of the room, much more than breaking the action economy with OP skills did.

WOTC is still the gold standard, which is great and all, but slightly disappointing considering how aggressively the knock-offs came out of the woodwork. Probably a commentary about the modern gaming industry, really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Enemy Starfighter/HotDS is excellent, yes.

But Interceptor was terminally flawed, any sort of interesting mixed-fleet combat with persistent fleet shenanigans would end up looking a lot like Homeworld or Enemy Starfighter etc, you'd have to rip out everything that connected it to the Xcom IP in the first place, such as squaddies etc.