Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

I'm super late the party - bought Enemy Within on iPad years ago only to find it didn't really run that satisfyingly on the one I had at the time.

Got a new big iPad pro and thought I'd give it another go - and I'm totally hooked.

I'm not very good at the micromanagement of recruiting/buying weapons/outfitting though, and next playthrough I need to get more satellites up quickly.

Is there any way to lower panic in a region by intervention (other than buying a sat)? Rather than waiting for an invasion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

BlazetheInferno posted:

Placing a Satellite, doing well on a Terror Mission, and occasionally Council Missions are the main ways to lower panic. The Alien Base assault will also reduce worldwide panic, but that's a one-off.

Beyond that, you're out of luck. Getting Satellite Coverage as widespread and fast as possible is the number one objective in the Strategy Layer. And as a note on Satellites - the best time to place them is *right* before the month ticks over use them to knock down panic on anybody who's currently panicking, then shoot for continent bonuses. Abduction panic can spill over to countries on the rest of a continent - if, say, Canada has 4 panic and a Satellite, ignoring an abduction in the U.S. will push Canada up to 5 panic. But once a full continent has coverage, that continent is officially secured and safe, unless you let the enemy shoot one down - which requires you to either be *SEVERELY* behind in power-scaling, or actively trying to screw up.

The bold part makes it sound like 'leaving' events all happen at the end of the month? I hadn't noticed that. I think I might restart this game and try and get a bunch of satellites up quickly - from reading around that helps with your credits as well, which I'm constantly constrained by.

Also, squad sight is... incredible.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Hahaha!

I'm playing Enemy Within and have managed to purge the EXALT base and finally had a mission to assault the Alien base.

Spent a little while getting ready for this final push, getting the right units into the right loadout, researching the tech I needed, even accelerating through a couple of months just to get missions where I could get some Meld for my mechs.

Finally invaded the alien base and this isn't the end of the game? I had assumed it was all over at this point! This game.....

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Right?! Right?

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Der Kyhe posted:

If you are playing unmodded, you are probably way ahead of the power curve by now. Now would be an ideal time to invest in a reasonable B- or C-team.

I've honestly been thinking that - I have a great squad of 7 people who are pretty much at the top of their game, good kit and even a few bio-mods in there. But if one of them gets injured they're out for a round and I had a very sticky engagement a few weeks back when my main team had been injured and I faced an event straight after.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

illectro posted:

On my second play through on iOS, only disappointment is tactical legacy is not included.

Is the iOS port worth it then? I love EW on iOS but X2 is about 3 times the price (£24)

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Red Oktober posted:

Is the iOS port worth it then? I love EW on iOS but X2 is about 3 times the price (£24)

Ended up buying it on Steam because it's like $5, if anyone is looking. (Through a third party key site).

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Bloody hell, for a pretty old game XCOM2 does not run well on a MacBook Pro. I know it’s a laptop but it’s a pretty good one.

Any tips for not having it take a while at the end of each turn to move on, etc?

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

I’ve now used boot camp to boot into windows on the Mac, and the game runs amazingly. So it’s not the hardware as such.

My guys still can’t aim for poo poo though.

Red Oktober fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Apr 16, 2021

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

I’m new to XCOM as well (only started with EW a couple of months back or so), and the “slow is fast” mantra is the absolute truth.

Your troops should never be out of cover (ideally full, but certainly half) after the first couple of moves - that’s what’s made the huge difference to me.

Honestly cover makes a huge huge difference- try to avoid shooting at enemies in full cover - better to spend a turn flanking them or destroying it.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Rohan Kishibe posted:

This is good advice, but remember full cover is only a +40 defense so it's not a guarantee by any means. If you can, it's even better to park your guys so they aren't in the line of fire at all.

And don't sleep on hunker down, if you have a move left. Overwatch is fine, but you take a hit penalty so a lot of the time you were probably better just trying to shoot them. And hunker down makes you immune to crits, which makes it a bit easier to know your guy will survive a hit if it comes to that.

I never hunker down, I just can't resist an overwatch. I know that's not good and pretty much the opposite of 'slow'... but I'm no good at missing up the chance to cause damage.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

I know we're just speculating, but I would imagine it would have to be more like "you play random people / damage control etc, but can call in support fire from supes occasionally." Because I just can't see a Disney/Marvel game where one of their properties can die at any minute, and that's core to XCOM as we know it.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Serephina posted:

So in other words, Mavel XCOM would be great if you removed the Marvel part? Superheroes are a generic concept!

I mean yeah, having 'special' units that you can maybe bring one of on your squad could be a fun take. The problem with Marvel, is that as Disney, I can't see any way they'll allow a hero to die in a playthrough. And XCOM is all about 'losses are a part of winning'.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Alchenar posted:

Firaxis dipped their toes in 'this is a game where your units aren't allowed to die' with Chimera Squad. They've already tested the concept and audiences are fine with it. Just like everyone was cool with a roster of pre-made heroes rather than having recruits develop naturally.

Permanent loss isn't necessary at all. There just needs to be a cost to failure.

I did not know this! I haven't played Chimera Squad. In that case I'm reconsidering my view. Was CS good? It's down to under a tenner for a couple of days.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

W.T. Fits posted:

Chimera Squad is real good, so if you can grab it on sale definitely go for it.

Nice one, bought it.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Alchenar posted:

Looking at CS and the MS it feels like Firaxis are trying hard to feel their way out of the design straightjacket that is 'first and foremost everyone must be in high cover'.

CS objectives emphasise momentum and aggressively killing/disabling enemies as they come up in the turn order, MS looks like it does away with cover entirely and invites the player to play freely and experiment with the interactions between their characters and the battle environment.

I did really enjoy the way that the turn ordered worked in CS - you had to put a lot more thinking into exactly what you were doing each turn than in X2/EW. Things like seeing you can't actually do the optimal moves, because you really, really need to take out that enemy before it gets its turn even if that means massively overkilling it with a unit you'd much rather use to send a rocket into someone else in a pure DPS way.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Rynoto posted:

MECs were so good. They're the one big thing I wish oldcom and its mods could replicate as tanks just don't feel the same.

I’m playing Enemy Within again, and always love when Control says “We trust you will handle this with discretion.” As my three MECs with full grenade launchers and power fists suit up.

Uh, sure buddy, going to discreet the gently caress out of this one as I punch a man through a wall and lay down the grenades. Right on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

PostNouveau posted:

Been playing EW Long War for the first time, and I just hit what I think was my first "trap" UFO. Pretty sure I'm still in early game (maybe late early game), but it had 2 cyberdisks in one pod, a mechtoid (1st of the campaign), and a berserker (1st of the game).

I think the worst part of it though is all the pods charging you when they hear a fight. Does that become a fixture later or is it just trap UFO behavior?

A few notes on trap UFOs.

Only landed UFOs can be traps.
They're more likely towards the end of the month (chance of a trap is threat counter / 30, so if the threat is low at the start of the month less likely.
The smaller the UFO, the larger the relative increase in units - the smallest size (I can't remember names) has roughly double the number of units, the largest size has maybe another 1/3.
You can estimate how many pods you're looking at by the amount of time the turn takes and any sounds you can hear - then when you encounter your first pod, multiply the number in it by the number of pods you think there might be to see if you're looking at a trap.