Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

Are you chopping off the front end of the donor and simply welding it onto the new shell at the factory seams? Does it then require reinforcement to make it a non-death-trap? I'm not educated at all as to how that works for unibody cars, and I... may... need to do something similar soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

mekilljoydammit posted:

No pictures right now, but status report. Got the NA shell into the barn and started drilling spot welds. Plan is to follow the FSM guidelines for where to cut and weld to replace the bits that are damaged because... well, look, why not? And then add stitch welding.

Looking forward to seeing how this goes so I can be inspired to pursue it on my own car. Good luck!

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

What year though, 2004?

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

Camber on a live axle... Could you make a few extras? That's ridiculously cool.

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

Dope. Is that the starter up on top of the transmission? I can't identify which engine that is off the top of my head.

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

Has anybody been crazy enough to try making their own Wankel irons and housings? I'd imagine that casting irons wouldn't be too far removed from what you're doing, but you'd have to figure out how to chrome the combustion chambers as perfectly as possible...

Larrymer posted:

Neat, but what's your end game here? Do you have any sort of simulation software to show that changes you make will actually be beneficial? Moving ports sound like a huge pain because then you're designing me manifolds too. Otherwise without changes, you'd probably be better off buying used heads than backyard casting them, yeah?

I don't mean to constantly sound like I'm busting your balls, but you appear to like taking the complicated route vs cheap and easy (my specialty :v:).

Automotive Insanity is the name of the forum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

That's a neato engine stand, did you make it?