Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Good thread. Carry on. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

mekilljoydammit posted:

Assuming the water brake is in perfect condition and has a pump... well, I'll sort of present it in "minimal" to "best" steps.

Minimal, I need to fab a frame to hold the engine up to the pump and flywheel adapter, get a driveshaft coupler solution, have a way to measure force from the dyno (and calculate torque) and need a bunch of water storage - it basically converts horsepower into hot water and if I have enough of it I can just heat up water and then wait for it to cool. Oh and radiator / fuel / etc for the engine, plus ideally some fuckoff huge mufflers. This will mean I'm controlling load with a manual valve and manual throttle and recording numbers by hand.

A step up for control / ease of use, I add a data acquisition system with instrumentation (load cells) and automated valves and throttle controller. This will mean that I can program it to just run the test - "sweep from idle to redline at 100rpm per second". I have the data acquisition hardware, but need to program it and buy/make the valves.

A step up for reliability and longevity, I add radiators to the water circuit to dump heat out of that, and add heat exchangers / valves to dump heat from the engine coolant and oil into the dyno's water circuit. This means I can control coolant temperature and oil temperature to whatever to test that.

Past that, there's no end of sensors and stuff I can add - thermocouples, pressure sensors (think not just manifold pressure and exhaust pressure, but looking at manifold pressure waves vs crank angle) and I want to write code to have the dyno DAQ computer interface with the ECU of whatever's being tested.

My target is having the basic mechanics plus DAQ / valves done by spring. Dealing with a thousand gallons of water is going to be problematic during winter anyway...

It's posts like this that make me believe you'll never finish any of your projects. :allears: Seriously, what's all on the table? You're doing a tube frame first gen RX7 with custom everything, this, and what else (because that can't be ALL)?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

mekilljoydammit posted:

I mean probably this isn't a new thought - I'd be surprised if something like that didn't exist at the OEM level - but I haven't heard of hobbiest grade stuff working like that.

Oem stuff is fairly automated. Lots of manual testing needed though, too. Airflow is a tough one since it's very different from dyno to vehicle so I wouldn't spend a ton of time trying for perfection (since that will affect torque/boost/etc.). It's hundreds and hundreds of hours of calibration on a new engine, and even more once you get the power train in development vehicles.

E: Auto tune is pretty sweet for VE tuning. It uses closed loop afr feedback and is pretty simple coding wise I'd think.

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Nov 23, 2017

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

drat, what a way to start a post. I'm so sorry man. :smith:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Neat, but what's your end game here? Do you have any sort of simulation software to show that changes you make will actually be beneficial? Moving ports sound like a huge pain because then you're designing me manifolds too. Otherwise without changes, you'd probably be better off buying used heads than backyard casting them, yeah?

I don't mean to constantly sound like I'm busting your balls, but you appear to like taking the complicated route vs cheap and easy (my specialty :v:).

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

kastein posted:

I think that's called being an engineer sometimes.

I do my own version of dumb poo poo as well, but usually try not to reinvent the wheel.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

It's a very cool time lapse if nothing else. :haw:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Reinventing the wheel ITT

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

My favorite quote from a former boss:

"All models are wrong, some are useful."

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

mekilljoydammit posted:

Another bump.

Kid due in about a week - scheduled c-section. Excited as heck.

GL!

And :lol: about those race car plans taking shape any time soon now. (but still sounds neat)

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

What's your plan for model loads for your FEA, and where? Testing for rigidity or crash worthiness, or both? Do you have any criteria/numbers you're trying to hit or avoid? Just curious how you're going about it.

Dunno what your background is as an engineer but how you create the mesh has a big impact on accuracy. Not sure how much has changed since I used to do this 10 years ago (with already antiquated software back then), though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

What's special about Miata brakes? Just looking for something low weight? I know when I had an NA a bunch of track folks would upgrade to wilwoods due to the stock ones not being great in regards to heat or when you had more than stock power.