Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009
Wow how am I just seeing this thread?

So... how's that tube frame mock up work out for a Z? I'm asking... for a friend you see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009

I love Blackhawk- what event was this? I recognize some of the cars from other events.

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009
Doing The Loooong Race with Council? Low Farm should be at CHUMPCar at RA this weekend.

What are you trying to flow bench that you bought plans to build one?

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009

mekilljoydammit posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjy4cMUD9Xk

First short one. Diesel doesn't vaporize well in Wisconsin winter (or my oil burner is slightly jacked up) so been using some auxiliary methods... kerosene!

The fire tornado effect is an added bonus.

:thumbsup: It should be a bit warmer this week during the week before we plunge down to sub 30 temps.

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009
That's awesome, how many slices are you taking?

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009
Nice to see some progress! Doing the Hawk at RA this weekend?

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009
I'll be doing the NASCAR thing this fall because a few of us want to go see the trophy trucks jumping downhill into 5.
What are you looking for workwise? Want to stay in the area? They are hiring like mad around my area (Janesville) 100 jobs at a metal place building fuel tanks.
Goex (plastics place) looking to add an entire shift I think. There is a print place in Sun Prairie that's adding another line and another shift.

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009
Nice wheels, I say go for it!

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009
I live vicariously through your engineering and noodling. I know we are in the same general local and would be up for talking poo poo about cars in person over a beer or something since we travel near the same circles.
I was in Waukesha two weeks ago for a wedding and spent most of my day at Veloce waiting for the event to get going. It was well worth the money spent and really got me charged for working on car stuff over the winter.

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009
Stupid question time: Why the door bar laterals, x-bracing, plus the anti-intrusion? ... and the v-braced windshield area?

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009

mekilljoydammit posted:

The windshield V is huge for stiffness - dropping those tubes alone cuts stiffness by something like 20%

I'm genuinely interested in what lead you to here given the field of view tradeoffs. Care to say what that 20% means in terms of chassis flex? Is it a safety rating thing?

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009
Suppose I should get off my rear end and stop going to the old stuff races and check out some of the new stuff races. Looks pretty interesting and that there is a lot to learn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009
The Mustang GT cars from the BRIC Hawk Redman Challenge in group 10 are always rad as hell. The Morgan +8 GT-R was an aluminum monocoque development mule and while I got to see it up close and personal for years the only thing that had tubes about it was the cage.

I'll keep you posted this year on what events I'll be attending. If we are doing council weekends it's always wheel to wheel. Typically the VSCDA/Council weekend at Blackhawk, BRIC, Fall Festival.