Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

mekilljoydammit posted:

I'll take some detail shots. What the hell, electrons are free.

The problem with just replacing the RX-8 transmissions whenever I break them is two-fold. One is the question on what breaking them costs me in addition - best case, I lose a practice or qualifying session or something and a bunch of frustration of swapping the trans in the paddock, middle-bad I lose an entry fee and cost to trailer and everything because I can't finish the race, worst something bad locks up and leads to a collision. All of those are also demoralizing - my dad and I ended up backing off from the EProd 1st gen because we spent more time at the track fixing poo poo than racing. The second one is that the purpose built race transmissions are faster too and not just more reliable. RX-8 box, shifted at a 9k RPM (arbitrary but whatever) ends up at an average of 2k RPM rev drop per shift on the track gears (ignoring 1st) - the gearboxes I'm looking at are sequential dogboxes that can be shifted faster, and get the average RPM drop to around 1300 RPM by using all 6 gears.

I mean, I still can't afford it to start with, but drat.

quote:

drat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
are you a wizard