Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Good stuff.
Even though rotaries are not longer competitive with piston engines, back in to 70s, 80s and 90s, they were magical so I have a soft spot for them.
Mazda is partly named after a Persian god, and they also survived being nuked as they were based in Hiroshima. So they are a tough lot. One day I might be able to drag one of my 70s mazda project cars out into the world, but I doubt it if things carry on the way they are.
Spenta Mainyu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Yeah, plugs and heat range. In my experience certain brands of '7' heat range will foul, but others won't. Sometimes a '8' in ngk is OK and best for standard ports but I'm not sure how a frankenstein turbo will affect that
'9's and higher are just for thrashing on high speed race tracks full throttle and if he's got them he just might need an '8' heat range unless it's high boost on standard compression.
Being it's some Frankenstein turbo set up it may be just trial and error. Also ignition, I gather he's using a 12a elec dizzy? what coils and have they bypassed the 7v resistor. Maybe new modules might help otherwise if they're NLA look at an ignition box like MKJD suggested.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Aug 18, 2017

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
You could always try places like ausrotary. Rotaries are bigger in Australia, NZ and places outside of UK and USA.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
I try to keep out of drama because my own life sucks so much, but seriously, man, don't know what the gently caress to say but I'm very sorry to read of your lost child. :(

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
BTW that rotary model is of the OG 10a in the mazda cosmo 110s.
It's based on the NSU design with the starter at the top, and with the twin dizzies just chucked straight up on top because..whatever
Later twin dizzy 10a's, for like the r100 had them on an angle towards the sparkplug side with the generator/alternator in the middle (similar to common more modern rotaries, just two of them)

By the time the 10a rx3 came out the starter was at the bottom, same dizzy anle and starter location for the rx2 twin dizzy( with tilt to the side for dizzy and alternator - I think they were alternators by then and not generators)

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 17:00 on May 20, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Yeah, just edited my post because I found a top starter r100. My first car was originally a 12a twin dizzy rx3 but had the motor replaced before I got it, same for a mate's rx2. I don't think we ever paid that much close attention to them besides seeing the others with originals while in car clubs back in the 90s.