Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
You buy those? It's a good looking wheel on 8th gens IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

PaintVagrant posted:

You buy those? It's a good looking wheel on 8th gens IMO everything, ever.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
For me it really depends on the size/offset. The high offset ones do not look nearly as good

Good:

Not as good:

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled
I'm about to, trying to decide on some rubber to wrap around. Going with 17x9 +45 because:

jamal posted:

For me it really depends on the size/offset. The high offset ones do not look nearly as good

Good:

Not as good:

They fit very nicely in that size. I shamelessly stole this from facebook:

I don't plan to drop mine as much but they should still look good. Even at 2" wider than stock, they're significantly lighter than the stock wheels (23.5lbs vs 15.6lbs). Plus black and gold

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWF-hH1nloo

DELETED fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Aug 19, 2016

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

I know 9" wide didnt really fit 8th gen, you ended up having to stretch the tire (ugh) or buy a weird offset that stuck out. I assume 9th gens have a little more room? That pic looks good, I like the non-stretched tires and the general fit of the wheel in the arch. The front looks like it has about a millimeter of room though, thats got to be a super tight fit if its not actually already rubbing.

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled
From my research they'll just barely squeeze in there. The fronts might rub the strut but most of the people who had that issue seemed to be slammed 2-3". Worst case I'll have to roll the fenders but I only plan on lowering an inch or so. I'm eyeing the HFP suspension kit, it's pretty pricy though(800 bucks from College Hills) so I might just go with coilovers.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

DELETED posted:

From my research they'll just barely squeeze in there. The fronts might rub the strut but most of the people who had that issue seemed to be slammed 2-3". Worst case I'll have to roll the fenders but I only plan on lowering an inch or so. I'm eyeing the HFP suspension kit, it's pretty pricy though(800 bucks from College Hills) so I might just go with coilovers.

If you only want ~1" of drop, tein s-tech + a good strut might be the way to go. I would do a shitload of research on the 9" wide wheels, when I was looking every 9" wheel car had some fucky offset or stretched tires or tons of camber.

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled
It's tight, I may need a very small (3mm) spacer to make my effective offset +42 in the front, but it seems to be one of those things where the tolerances are loose enough between cars that you just have to try it and see. I've heard good things about Tein, I've been watching classifieds because the early 9ths are getting to the point where people are parting out their setups to trade them in. I almost pulled the trigger on a lightly used CT supercharger kit for 3,800 bucks but that fiscal responsibility thing kicked in

Only registered members can see post attachments!

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Ive got a pile of 8th gen parts, including a set of teins. But youve got a 9th gen right?

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled
Yep, 9th gen. Some of the stuff might kind of work but my understanding is that everything suspension-wise is just different enough to be a pain. Space valve cover does call to me though...

In other news, I've fully broken in my Q300 so it's nice and crackly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Po-OByhDxOA

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled
I'm dumb and bad and didn't post the right one, here's the K24 singing its siren song :butt:

(it's actually a lot deeper in person)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrjnZIU8IE4

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

DELETED posted:

I'm dumb and bad and didn't post the right one, here's the K24 singing its siren song :butt:

(it's actually a lot deeper in person)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrjnZIU8IE4

Nice. Ive always thought that was one of the best exhausts for K-series.

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled
I'm pretty happy with it overall, it's louder than stock without being too farty or obnoxious. Due in part to the larger diameter I have scraped it a couple of times but it's built like a brick shithouse so I'm not too concerned. Once I do a catless downpipe I expect it to get a fair bit louder and raspier, but with a tune I'll also pick up a respectable amount of power. Maybe flames as well.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

jamal posted:

Good:

Not as good:

All wheel designs look better with some dish. These really are no different.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Im trying to sell these 8th gen parts on facebook. I have had like 3 requests for shipping costs on every item listed, and have sold only 2 total things. Killllll....meeee....

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Yeah the thing about RPFs that bugs me is the faces arent perfectly flat

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled
Pulled the trigger on those Enkeis. +35 might clear the inside a little better but they poke too much for my liking. I'm thinking I should be good to go at stock ride height, we'll see what happens when I lower it

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled
Next mission: find black 73mm Honda centercaps

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled
:neckbeard:

I almost forgot I needed TPMS sensors, fortunately Amazon has OEM Honda sensors. I had them shipped overnight and still beat the local dealership by 50 bucks. Tomorrow, I'm taking them to get dressed in some Goodyear Eagle F1s

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

poo poo yes.

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled
Hard Parking Lvl 2 unlocked! :rice:

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

I've still got space valve cover :wink:

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled
The K24z7 is a strong independent woman who don't need no parts interchangeability. I guess the K20 valve cover almost fits except by the cams, where it leaks like a sieve on a Z7. I really wanted a spacetacular engine. Oh well, I should be saving for springs or coilovers, this thing looks kinda funny at stock height

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Ah bummer. I thought it was the same valve cover. Wheels look great.

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled
Thanks, definitely a lot flashier than I'm used to but there are already 2 black 9th gen civics with black wheels in my town so I had to mix it up.

Apparently the older K24s will take K20 valve covers but Honda decided to make everything just a little different when they designed the 9th gen

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled
This makes me feel some type of way

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled
Under the hood, apparently he's got about 16k in this setup

quote:

CNC_Werx Cylinder Support System
87.5mm bore (.5mm overbore)
Modified girdle by PRL Motorsports
Modified K20A2 oil pump by PRL
Stock crank
Golden Eagle oil squirters
ACL bearings
Manley Turbo Tuff I-Beam Rods
Wiseco 10.2:1cr Pistons
Upgraded .225 wall Wrist Pins
Oem Headgasket
Custom ARP Head Studs
Machined head
Supertech Valves
Supertech Springs
Supertech Retainers
Supertech Seals
Oem Cams
Rbc Manifold
ZDX Throttle Body
Block is built and assembled by Derek Robinson at IMW in Carlisle, PA

Comp Twin Disk Clutch
MFactory 1-4 gear transmission
Oem 5-6 gear
4.3 FD
Oem LSD

Walbro 450 fuel pump (10gauge wire, 50amp relay)
8an fuel feed line
6an fuel return line
Aem fpr
South Bay 2200cc injectors
Golden Eagle fuel rail

Makspeed custom fabbed sidewinder manifold. (First ever k24z7 with a sidewinder)
Precision 6262 JB turbo .82A/R
Tial 50mm BOV
Tial 44mm Wastegate
Treadstone TRV125 750hp intercooler
2.5in Roller Built charge piping
Roller Built hood exit exhaust
IAT sensor
4bar map sensor

Hasport 94A motor mounts

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

That's a pretty big turbo :stare:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

DELETED posted:

Under and over the hood, apparently he's got about 16k in this setup

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled
He should have no problem hitting 600+ at the wheels with that setup. There are guys with similar builds and are making 500 with a returnless system and smaller injectors.

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled
Trip report: the first actual performance modification for my Si

After getting the tires broken in and finding a decent air pressure, I'm definitely happy. I removed approximately 32 pounds of unsprung weight and rotating mass, and got a much wider contact patch so it's a win across the board. The car feels much more solid in bumpy/rough corners. On smooth roads it feels like it's on rails compared to the stock 205/45r17 Michelin Pilots. When you reach the point that the Pilots would break loose, the Eagles are only at 2/3rds. I got the asymmetric all seasons and they are amazing in the rain as well, even with a wide tread they don't show a hint of hydroplaning. They grip better in the rain than the Pilots grip on dry pavement.

Some suspension work is definitely needed to make the most of the tires, it bumpsteers a good bit more thanks to the extra width. I'm thinking some strut bars and stiffer sway bars may be needed and should really help cornering stability. I really enjoy the handling of this platform, it's surprisingly balanced for a FWD.

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled
Another 600+whp turbo K24z7. I wish these engines didn't have such crappy heads, there aren't even aftermarket cams because the heads are all inconsistent and flow poorly. In true 9th gen fashion, it's also a special unique cylinder head so top end swaps are very difficult/expensive. The single exhaust port does make it nice for a turbo since you just need a pipe from the exhaust port to the turbo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sUSveHFz9A

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

DELETED posted:

Another 600+whp turbo K24z7. I wish these engines didn't have such crappy heads, there aren't even aftermarket cams because the heads are all inconsistent and flow poorly. In true 9th gen fashion, it's also a special unique cylinder head so top end swaps are very difficult/expensive. The single exhaust port does make it nice for a turbo since you just need a pipe from the exhaust port to the turbo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sUSveHFz9A

I never would have guessed it had a single exhaust port. WTF was the thinking behind that? It doesn't even look like it has a decent collector setup inside the "head"er.

Maybe they meant for it to have a turbo all along. Or it's water cooled?

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Sep 21, 2016

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled
I believe their main goal was getting the most low end torque out of it, which they did achieve quite well. It makes 170 ft/lbs at 4,500rpm, which is incredible for a Honda engine. Replacing the stock downpipe with a catless aftermarket version and getting the the car tuned for it will pick up around 30 or so horsepower at the wheels. Swapping out the intake manifold with the 8th gen RBC manifold, adding bigger injectors, an aftermarket throttle body, and a good 3.5" intake with a tune will get you another 20 or 30 and then you're done with N/A bolt ons at around 230whp. You could probably blueprint this engine and get a little more out of it but the head is always going to hold you back. That's enough to turn an Si into a mid to high 13 second car, but if you want to pass that mark then forced induction is the only sensible path.

Does make me wonder if turbocharging did play a role in that design though. The K20C1 from the Type R has the turbo attached right at the head and seems to have the same style exhaust port.

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled
Forgot to attach this image, it's the butthole of the Z7

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

It also reduces the number of parts that need to be assembled, and greatly simplifies the only place you can have an exhaust leak at the head.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
The big thing is that it heats up faster - which sucks less heat out of the exhaust stream - and puts the cat converter closer to the exhaust valves. It's almost entirely a cold startup emissions thing.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

How do you not put a turbo on there I mean come on!

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled

IOwnCalculus posted:

It also reduces the number of parts that need to be assembled, and greatly simplifies the only place you can have an exhaust leak at the head.

Also a good point, you have a quarter of the fasteners, a much smaller piece of gasket material, and much less time installing.

mekilljoydammit posted:

The big thing is that it heats up faster - which sucks less heat out of the exhaust stream - and puts the cat converter closer to the exhaust valves. It's almost entirely a cold startup emissions thing.

That also probably plays a big factor. I know Honda pulls all kinds of tricks to maximize efficiency and reduce emissions (the new Earth Dreams engines are an example). The Z7 has economy i-Vtec, which is actually kind of cool. It doesn't kick as hard as normal VTEC, but that's because of the way it's set up. Basically at low RPM 1 valve opens all the way and the other opens just a bit to allow for a swirl effect in the combustion chamber. When VTEC kicks in yo, both valves open all the way to maximize flow. Unfortunately, economy i-VTEC excludes the exhaust side, which you can see in the picture above.

PaintVagrant posted:

How do you not put a turbo on there I mean come on!

The 310hp K20C1 from the FK2 Type R :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

DELETED posted:

Forgot to attach this image, it's the butthole of the Z7

Point made, but I'm nearly certain that that's a head from a J30A4. Or at least some flavor of J30.

...Unless the k series grew to include three cylinder blocks while I wasn't paying attention.

E: Yup

glyph fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Sep 22, 2016

• Locked thread