Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things
Seems like 1/4 and 1/2 marks of the race.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Peanut President posted:

I want to but they haven't announced when the segment cutoffs are.

Pocono is 40 laps/40/80.

It's different, but at the same time I can think of a bunch of short track events that use the seem format.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

dentist toy box posted:

I like that they already have an faq up like questions are already frequently asked.

Is the first question "What the gently caress?" because I'm 100% sure that's the most frequent one.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Jim Noble is posting dissent on Twitter, including pointing out there's apparently a scenario in which someone leaves a race with more points than the winner?

:rip:

E- Jeff Gluck says the best way to watch is to not care about anything other than "playoff points" because that's all that's going to matter.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Jan 24, 2017

Elitist Bitch
Sep 13, 2007

We'll miss you Jim. Keep fighting the good fight.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

CBJSprague24 posted:

Jim Noble is posting dissent on Twitter, including pointing out there's apparently a scenario in which someone leaves a race with more points than the winner?

:rip:

E- Jeff Gluck says the best way to watch is to not care about anything other than "playoff points" because that's all that's going to matter.

There's absolute certainty we see multiple races this year where the winner doesn't get the most points with the segment point bonuses, there's 110 points available for being in the top 10 at the end of a segment. Weird soapbox to choose to die on though.

Gluck is 100% correct.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

Slickdrac posted:

There's absolute certainty we see multiple races this year where the winner doesn't get the most points with the segment point bonuses, there's 110 points available for being in the top 10 at the end of a segment. Weird soapbox to choose to die on though.

Gluck is 100% correct.

Remember when people used to complain that this could happen in the pre-chase points system even though it couldn't happen?

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
how do you award prize money?

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

Top Hats Monthly posted:

It's based off of final finishing position.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Top Hats Monthly posted:

With giant checks, obviously

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Harveygod posted:

Remember when people used to complain that this could happen in the pre-chase points system even though it couldn't happen?
Um excuse you but it's the playoffs.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

BMB5150 posted:

Now I'm waiting for someone to do this points and racing format for the whole history of NASCAR just to know what stupid things happen, like a Steve Park in the championship race stupid.

This confirms that Brian France has been trying to get Jayski to work himself literally to death for years, now.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Y'all are going to keep watching and buying merchandise so does it really matter what insanity they do

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Y'all are going to keep watching and buying merchandise so does it really matter what insanity they do

I've been saying this for years, NASCAR fans are like battered wives that think he's gonna change this time, he says so

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I read like half of the description of the points system and then gave up because I was confused. This is retarded.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Unless SRA finally puts some god drat merch out I'm not buying poo poo.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

With Gordon done and no heir apparent to this fan's favorite driver throne, I have nothing to buy. With a new job, I may not be going to Daytona this summer, so there goes that expenditure. Eldora might even be tricky and I'm an hour away.

I'm still whipped as gently caress to NASCAR, though, let's not kid ourselves.

L_Harrison
May 22, 2007
I'm watching for the self-implosion of the sport, because that's more entertaining than the actual racing product.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Considering the empty seats last year, i dunno dude

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

I'm fully convinced that the constant stream of new paint schemes we see on cars every year is a shameless cash grab for merchandising and to keep selling poo poo.

Speaking of merchandising, Nature's Bakery is apparently holding out before it commits to sponsoring Danica this year.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

CBJSprague24 posted:

I'm fully convinced that the constant stream of new paint schemes we see on cars every year is a shameless cash grab for merchandising and to keep selling poo poo.

how loving dare this failing company try to make money

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

kidcoelacanth posted:

how loving dare this failing company try to make money

I guess making changes to how many of the cars look annually is appropriate for the territory.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

back in the days where you had to send the cars/parts to the paintshop and used bodies at multiple races, gently caress changing schemes

but in the days of vinyl wraps that they peel after every race anyway, why not change the scheme? especially these days with every team using 4 primary sponsors through the year to cobble up a big enough budget.

it is sorta frustrating to never know who the hell is who on the wideshot until like 3/4 of the way through the race when ive memorized whatever dick pill energy drink brand is on everyones car

Cygni fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jan 24, 2017

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

I haven't watched a nascar race in over 1 year so get hosed hombre.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i have not watched this dead gay series since march of 2015, i'm just here to laugh at them anymore

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home

You think people in the NASCAR thread actually watch the races? Hahaha, you've got a lot to learn my friend.

...I actually watch the races, don't tell anyone though. I will say that the last few years I've been ok with skipping some races/watching 90% of the race on FFWD on the DVR. So you can take that for anecdotal evidence that they are losing the core fan base albeit a little at a time each year.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Last two races I watched: summer Daytona and Miami last year, if only because A. nothing else was on for sports, and B. I give playoffs priority over other things at work.

Indy, however, is a different story.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

i watch the first like quarter of the season before burning out and watching the rest on fastforward or while sleeping or just the highlight videos after or if bored at an airport bar.

also if i remember a truck race is on, ill check the T&S and see if SRA is top 10 with 20 to go before turning on.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

I'm still going to take naps during the race.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

gret posted:

I'm still going to take naps during the race.

Now you have convenient time to do so!

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
I watch every lap because I'm a huge loving idiot.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

I like chatting with like-minded goons in IRC while watching racing.

Also, so if you take body damage in the race, you're done?

http://blackflag.jalopnik.com/nascar-is-going-full-sportsball-with-races-divided-into-1791524142

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

CBJSprague24 posted:

I like chatting with like-minded goons in IRC while watching racing.

Also, so if you take body damage in the race, you're done?

http://blackflag.jalopnik.com/nascar-is-going-full-sportsball-with-races-divided-into-1791524142

Possibly unless your aero isn't hosed, or we could go back to the 90s and see cars with just an exposed roll cage and engine again if they make minimum speed.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home
Wow that is loving stupid if that is true. Seems like they really want to take pit road out of the equation. Segmented races making pit strategy useless and possibly no body repairs on pit road or at least in the garage? How many times have we seen a car make a shitload of caution lap pit stops, tape and screw body panels onto the front end of a bashed up car and then somehow come back and finish top 5 or 10? That stuff makes races interesting. I'd hate to see that kind of thing go away along with all the other nonsense they are up to.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
On the plus side that will really gently caress over the 48 team.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

VikingSkull posted:

On the plus side that will really gently caress over the 48 team.

I would say Tony Stewart, too, but he already retired :newlol:

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

I doubt anything will ever gently caress over the 48 team

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

I've started working Sunday nights and between that and the full retard that has become NASCAR I think this might be the year that breaks my back.

At the very least I'll be sleeping through even more races.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

VikingSkull posted:

I watch every lap because I'm a huge loving idiot.

Same. And there are plenty of folks in IRC during these races, don't be shy to admit you still watch NASCAR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Ungratek posted:

I doubt anything will ever gently caress over the 48 team

Yeah. They could have a rule that says "the #48 isn't allowed to win" and Johnson would be champion from finishing 2nd every single week.

• Locked thread