Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

I wouldn't be too shocked if Gordon came in to do martinsville or anything but a plate race. The list of drivers to fill in are short to say the least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

Overtime line I'm fine with if its not going into 3. It closes off what happened at Talladega happening again.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

What pissed off that old fat dude with Jimmie?

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

Oh just dawned on me on that faux traffic chase. One of my father's good friends posted of pictures of Gordon's last race car in a warehouse in southern California. So that was used as a prop in that.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

SpitztheGreat posted:

Ugh...I swore I was going to tell her I was done.

I was never going to come back.

I was moving on, putting our abusive relationship behind me.

And here I am...excited for another season of NASCAR.

I wish I could quit you!

With Gordon retiring, we just said we're friends now. If something great happens, enjoy the fun times and if poo poo happens, I'm not affected and can just see it burn.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

Man they're getting monstrous runs on each other tonight. And yes do a commercial at 10 to go.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

Or Hendrick cars still have the monstrous restrictor plate engines. Editing 1995 500 qualifying video and funny enough when Chase was qualifying Gordon was just finishing qualifying. Fun fact today is going 1 second faster than 1995.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

CactusWeasle posted:

You can't really compare though because the track wasn't a Stadium back then

True forgot to take that into account.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

Possibly Chicken posted:

I'm just half joking sorta

You sure about that? Also hey upgrading to Windows 10 fixed encoding within Premiere Pro and Audition from some of the bugs I had.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

L_Harrison posted:

Yeah I didn't say he'd be in the 14. I fully expect him to show up though, in one of his own cars with a different number.

Edit: Then that'd be a 5 car team. Eh, who the hell knows.

What's not to say they make and prep a car for Smoke and just slap a 15 and HScott Motorsports sticker on it.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

Seems like even years has the most bizarre poo poo to happen during speedweeks.
http://www.motorsport.com/nascar/news/todd-gilliland-wins-k-n-season-opener-in-bizarre-finish-673422/

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

dennyk posted:

What the hell is this caution clock poo poo? Did NASCAR finally accept that we've been on to their "debris" caution game for ages and decide they might as well just make it official?

Dunno if you can really blame it for Spencer's wreck, since odds are someone would have managed to crash trying to pit under green in any case, but it's still a dumb gimmick.

quote:

I was in one of the discussions when they were first thinking about the caution clock and their rationale was literally "we already throw debris cautions when things get boring but that's shady so let's just codify the poo poo into the rule book"

I wish I was kidding
- From the driver who got rammed in the rear end in thanks of the caution clock

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

Harvick is short as poo poo. Standing on a box and Michael was slouching on a stool.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

I do believe by next year, grass will be gone.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

CBJSprague24 posted:

It's more the fault of the splitter than the grass, so yes, NASCAR will dig it up.

True but getting to the point going into the grass means your doom and doesn't do a good job slowing down cars as say pavement. Hell take some pages from Paul Ricard and have more and more abrasive pavement in areas. lovely that even the smallest amount of a splitter going into the grass will destroy it.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

Wet fart of a race except the last half lap.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

I'm not a Ford fan but this makes sense. There are too many teams attached to Chevy let alone Hendrick. Ford has only Penske so they can grow.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

Damned if you do damned if you don't. I'd say bitterness would be more later on.

Did see they would build their own chassis' which they have got theirs from Hendrick. I'd say money and not being in the shadow of Hendrick.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

So I have family come out here who knows NASCAR and sometimes watches, mainly Sprint Cup watched the Xfinity race and probably the most proud thing I've heard as a fan. My cousin said "Michael Waltrip sounds very gay." I was very proud of hearing that.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

So looking up an NPR article which was a summary of 3 good articles of the week and a facebook comment opened the world to me that there is a conspiracy that Dale Earnhardt never died. :wtc:

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

mearn posted:

Brian France donated $2,700 to Carly Fiorina, $2,700 to Jeb Bush and $50,000 to a Jeb Bush SuperPAC earlier this month. Everything else he touches has turned to poo poo so maybe he can turn the Trump train around too.

If stumping the Trump is Brian France funding him then that'll be amazing. Also I like how they ditched Trump months ago and now kissing his boots. Sad to see the Elliott's endorse him though, not Newman but more of course he would. I'd die laughing if Gordon endorsed Hillary.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

IceAgeComing posted:

seriously from a business perspective this seems like the worst thing that you could do: it certainly doesn't do anything to challenge the public perception of nascar which, at least for drivers, is rather outdated. i'd be saying this regardless of who the guy endorsed though; whoever it was there'd be lots of people who'd get annoyed and that's not good for a sport that's losing sponsors and which is struggling for attendance and tv audiences at the moment. the guy could have given the guy some money and i don't think that people would care (he's done it loads before, you can have a look here: i'm not an expert on specific american political figures but there seems to be an interesting mix there, not sure if it includes every donation with america's unique political funding system), but actually appearing with the guy is something that's only going to cause more harm than good for nascar and that's something that should probably be his main concern.

I looked up what France gave to and was confused why my house rep (Norm Dicks) got a donation from him. I just remembered NASCAR wanted a track here and that donation was in 2005 which corresponds to the time when that interest was piquing. Definitely see all the contributions to the more powerful politicians where tracks are like Debbie Wasserman Schultz and etc... Did laugh he also donated to Marco on top of Jeb, Carly, and now Trump endorsement. But I agree it sounds super stupid that you'd endorse the candidate which one of your title sponsors CEO really hates and all but asking him to say gently caress you I'm out and having to find 2 title sponsors in a time where it's hard to find sponsors.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

He's funded within 5 years Harry Reid and Mitch McConnell. Funded both DSCC and NRCC. Seems like he wants to be a winner so bets on all of em.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

I agree with you LASTCAR. This seems more like trying to get in the limelight with Trump by saying "Hey we're relevant see, we got an evangelical driver (Ragan), an old favorite southern driver (Bill) and his rising star son (Chase), and dumbass conspiracy theorist (Newman), so hey we're just like you so watch us." I wonder if they planned this a few weeks ago before David Duke and the KKK got involved so yet again NASCAR got hosed hard.

Looking at the replies on Jeff Gluck's twitter is full on saying gently caress this sport, but who knows since I'm guessing 90% of who follows NASCAR doesn't have a twitter. Man never thought the two threads I read most would combine in the dumbest way.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

Seems like that just restricts an Indycar like split and making sure they don't get any big tracks to run at. Makes me think of that loving SMI funded series that was DOA.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

Cubey posted:

Years and years ago I remember they did some kind of survey of the top 10 drivers in points and Jeff Gordon was the only one who was a democrat. Too bad he's in the booth now so he can't run a Hillary for President paint scheme.

Years ago when Twitter just started and had his Twitter just started, he followed Obama. Now he doesn't which is either now doesn't like him or NASCAR fans would blow a gasket. He does help out Bill Clinton's Clinton Global Initiative so probably some political aligning to him.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

CBJSprague24 posted:

Rumors are starting to pop up that Harvick is going to Hendrick Motorsports next season. He denies them, which means it's probably going to happen, isn't it?

Kahne is signed through 2018 so unless an agreement comes from that or Harvick does a Kahne/Bowyer of going to another team for a year then going to Hendrick then possibly.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

10 years ago if we were told California would be the best track on the circuit in the next 10 years, no one would've believed it. A tale of oh hey low downforce is better for racing and unneeded paving jobs.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

Someone's tire is going to burst.

e: Well I was right cause of Blaney.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

LASTCAR posted:

The CoT and the Evernham team's implosion really set him back from 2007-2010. He basically went through the same skid as Junior, but despite joining him at Hendrick, still hasn't pulled out of it. Maybe his own career resurgence is still a couple years away.

He had one good year his first year but time is ticking and also doesn't help rumors of Harvick coming in and taking his ride. Doesn't help today Kimi Raikkonen has been linked to go to NASCAR with SHR next year which gets more pressure on Kahne who is starting off the season pretty terribly.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

be nice wicka posted:

i suppose there is some logic in leaving for hendrick, if possible

You'd think making your own chassis might take a hit on being Hendrick quality and I can see Harvick wants to stay in a proven good ride by going to Hendrick.

And whoever went what!? to the Raikkonen rumor, some guy in autoweek is reporting this.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

tater_salad posted:

More like caution cuck.

Thank you primary season for running that into the ground.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

I'm surprised you all didn't know about that until now. Think I found it on wikipedia or something and went oh really.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

Peanut President posted:

With ratings in the low 3s for Bristol they aren't going to be signing many more.

Well they got til 2024 to worry about that... For better or worse.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

I'm on the boat of liking Bowyer. I could see HScott being collateral between Hendrick giving info to SHR and thusly on their own and welp kind of running around with your heads chopped off not having the extra insurance from a big team. It sucks and can't blame any driver getting mad for being in a poo poo ride knowing you'll get a better one soon. Maybe by the end of the year they might right the ship a little.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

Just tuned in right when Logano got nailed and saw Poole cross the line and thought that's pretty cool and turned off... Huh that's ummm interesting call there NASCAR.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

tater_salad posted:

So wait.. jolo won?
I watched Poole win then turned it off.

Sadler won.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

That was the most mild multi car crash with a barrel roll.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

Boomer The Cannon posted:

I AM HYPED AS gently caress FOR EVERYONE TO RUN SINGLE FILE TO THE END

Well that wreck will guarantee that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

Ummm Newman... why are you still going after you were on fire and spewing out oil?

• Locked thread