Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

i'm 'fantasy waterboarding', because thats what fantasy nascar feels like lately, but i may change my name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Daytona 24 fans are icecold

https://twitter.com/GerryBundle/status/693646651861368832

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

apparently crashed an ATV, lol

he really is trying to emulate AJ. next it will be a tractor roll over, then... well... then come the killer bee attacks.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

lol yup, NASCAR is cutting the cup field down

Jayski posted:

NASCAR expected to announce charter system Tuesday: NASCAR will hold a press conference Tuesday afternoon at 1:30pm with NASCAR CEO Brian France where they are expected to announce the details on a new charter system for Sprint Cup teams. The agreement is expected to guarantee a certain number of starting spots in the field to certain owners and shrink the race field to 40 cars. The system would provide owners with additional revenue and give them more value for their teams.
The press conference will be shown online at NASCAR.com.(2-8-2016)(2-8-2016)

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

kidcoelacanth posted:

The cup field has three less backmarkers, guess American racing is basically doomed

:allears:

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

kidcoelacanth posted:

There's a pretty big difference in my mind between "a good decision" and "not the end of the loving world" but this thread operates entirely in hyperbole so I guess I should stop bothering to argue.

It's "fixing" an issue that's not an issue at all, solely for the benefit of the soulless corporate mega teams and at the detriment of the small teams that actually embody the fun and spirit of the sport. Yay.

Nobody in this thread said its the end of the world, we all just said what it is: loving stupid, probably their clearest statement that they only care about the corporate teams, and a 7% reduction in the grid. That all sucks.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

You done good.

I'll add that the "performance standard" for charter teams adds to the current terrible points system (which is statistically MUCH more harsh on poor finishes than the old points systems) to further make consistent boring 15th places far more desirable than shooting for the moon and getting a few top 5s and a bunch of 30ths for the fringe charter teams.

Cause god knows what NASCAR needs is people taking less chances or doing interesting things and more consistent mediocrity.

I think the most frustrating thing for me is that its a clear statement that the playing field is not level, and they don't want it to be level. Like F1s comically lovely payout structure or when MLB teams blow the softcap. That inherently makes me lose interest in the competition a bit.

Cygni fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Feb 10, 2016

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

L_Harrison posted:

Hey guys, check out these high-tech digital gauges. Bet you haven't seen anything like that before.

Except in every racing series around the globe.

i still hate this

also 43 entries for daytona, if only there were some way for them all to run at the same time. if only...

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

VikingSkull posted:

crying about the 43 starter thing is a bit dumb because for the bulk of NASCAR history starters varied by track

right and there are plenty of stalls at daytona so they could start the cars

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I turned on FS1 and it was Kenny Wallace screaming at me about DW dancing and i just turned it right the gently caress off. I'll wait until the race actually starts.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I like the dude who has his eyes closed in the intro picture and they just used it anyway. ARCA, baby.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

kidcoelacanth posted:

That was a good clean lap

lol

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

were they hooked together wth

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Good to see Jeff Gordon settling into the Larry Mac role of trying to share actual insights while DW screams dumb poo poo over him.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

CBJSprague24 posted:

RTA/NASCAR vs. Drivers' Council would be a really fun grudge match.
Some of the terms in those quotes from the smarter drivers are purposefully from the collective bargaining arena. Although Kes should have said conditions of employment instead of "terms of their employment change", but they are learning!

I do Labor Relations stuff for a living on the management side, but even I would say they should think about a union, or at least saber rattling to that effect. The Charters have effectively made the money pipeline an unambiguous TV->NASCAR->RTA, with the RTA working in a collective fashion to divvy up revenues. I'm sure they would argue that they are just a "trade advisory group" or some such poo poo, just like the NFL tries to pull, but that poo poo walks and quacks like a duck and the NFL just lost that case in court to the NFLPA. As it stands, they can easily collaborate to push down wages or lock people out (which they already actively do on the crew side).

The teams and NASCAR just split up an $8.2 billion dollar pot of money and left the dudes the fans come to see, who are literally putting their life on the line, wondering how much they are going to get paid THIS WEEKEND. The days of the "ol' Bill France came down with a monkey wrench and busted our union ha ha ha" poo poo are over. Drivers should think long and hard about how they respond, and they should do it together at least.

Also they should hire me cause that would be dope.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

gently caress DARREL WALTRIP

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

be nice wicka posted:

what happened bro

just my normal rage everytime he says 'lets go racing boys AND DANICA'

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

maybe if people were better drivers they could beat him, the 2015 Champion

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Boomer The Cannon posted:

The transam series we have now is more comparable to ARCA dollar-wise.

thats being very generous to trans-am

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

i dont understand duck dynasty or why people watch it

that is my input in the convo

watched like 20 laps of the race last weekend then went and got a burger

ok cya pals

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Oh cool, those dumb people that got all upset when Marshawn Lynch didn't want to talk to reporters are in NASCAR too

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I mean he signed with HScott, not totally sure what he expected. I know he didnt have much of a choice but still.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Spungler no :( Had a good top 10 goin.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

HahahahHhhahaa

(Sorry GMS)

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

tater_salad posted:

How about treating it like they got disqualified from the race, give up any prize money and 0 points from race.. in the world of one win gets you in.. you can try stupid poo poo and hope you don't get caught.. especially early in the season.
This was a blatant cheat not a "bend the rules a bit"

DQing a race winner for missing a lug nut, which they could do legally like 2 races ago, would be extra dumb even for nascar

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

tater_salad posted:

Maybe it's kuz I hate the super buschio bros, but it's not a "missing lug nut" it's a glued on lug nut so that when they put the tire on it looks like all 5 are on and they don't get black flagged. It's not an oops we tried to get by with 4

For now it's here give us a nickel and now you have to call your crew chief on the phone.

Right but you forget that literally nobody gives a poo poo about the lugs and its a silly situation in the first place

Also, Kevin Harvick had a fake fuckin gas tank in the car and he got 25 points, at a time when last place was worth 34 points. In the current system, thats .7 of a point. The only people I can ever remember really getting creamed are Carl Long (lol) and MWR. NASCAR doesn't take away wins, ever, and even if they did, it wouldn't be for a goddamn lug nut.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

it's like a perfect pictorial representation of this thread, or racing fandom in general

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Larsowns. (there is a race on btw)

efb

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

looooooooooooooooooooooooooooool

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

What an incredible race, but goddamnit i wanted the 42 or 24 to get him.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

The Cup race this weekend had the lowest race ratings in a decade. Of course its the best race they've had in a while, of course.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

larsowns

e: oh god loving damnit

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

At this point, it really seems like the only way to get a different winner is to penalize the Gibbs cars (including the 78) a cylinder per win.

Also I know this really doesn't need to be said, but 1 dominating win and NASCAR is ringing the 'CHANGE EVERYTHING' alarm? Where the gently caress were they the last few years with MONTHS of actual bad races?

Cygni fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jun 1, 2016

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

well hes not wrong

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

FuzzySkinner posted:

e2: I really believe that there's not one city better than the other in this country.
There are so so many cities I hope to never have to go to again. Like the entire San Joaquin Valley (to include Fresno, Modesto, Madera, Corcoran, Bakersfield, Turlock etc). Or Orlando. Phoenix. Reno. West Texas as a whole. Heck ill switch to whole states, Iowa. Missouri. Nebraska.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

lol gonna go out on a limb here and say they are gonna impound the 2

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Kurt had to know the kind of responses he would get, and thats great

also thats a pretty mosque

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post