Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

You want some slightly longer write-ups for the characters I like? No? Too bad here you go:

Cyclops: You shoot a lot of lasers all day and can make Beast roll into people or Angel swoop at people or Jean throw cars and poo poo at people. Eventually you get your signature, which lets you blow up anything you're facing for a few seconds, and "Optic Devastation," a power where you more or less erase half the screen on an 8-second cooldown. Cyclops is straight-forward and fun to play, but still ends up feeling more interesting than "guy with laser eyes" would sound.

Doctor Doom: Doctor Doom will always be great. You pick a specialization on him that more or less dictates the rest of your skill build, at which point you choose between "Blow up people with all lasers and foot dives," "erase people with magic," and "let the robots do everything while you occasionally dome kids with a pistol." He has an instant, no-cooldown teleport that regenerates one of your resources. Not costs. Regenerates.

Gambit: Gambit is the first character I prestiged through red 60 (this means playing him 6 times from level 1-60, new people). You can build him to either throw exploding cards all day that make the screen explode in purple bursts, or pole vault around smacking people with a staff and blowing up the ground and making the screen glow purple instead. He is fun.

Moon Knight: Moon Knight throws stuff that makes people bleed, then punches people and makes them bleed, then punches people and does extra damage based on if they were already bleeding. He is not the most mobile character, nor the smoothest to flow through his moves. But his signature power is hammering the poo poo out of a button and doing enough damage to probably kill whatever boss is in front of you basically any time short of the most end of end-game content. And then he's just taking a huge, visible chunk out of their lifebars. Also he has great costumes.

Nova: Nova has a weird "lay glowy mines you can dash over or shoot ranged beams over to blow up" mechanic and a signature that makes your powers do more damage + be free for a duration before you blow up and deal a bunch of damage, and while trying to play him the first time you'll get annoyed and hate it. But once he clicks, you have someone who zips around every zone at high speed while doing terrific damage and having a build based around using movement powers more than anything else. Also he does for yellow-orange on screen what Gambit does for purple.

Punisher: Very easy to pick up and play, has a unique non-Spirit mechanic: Your attacks use Ammo and you have a button to reload, on a cooldown; some powers deal more damage at low ammo, you get a boost to stuff after reloading. It flows nicely. He shoots a nuke. You can also choose between a flamethrower and a gatling gun. He delivers on the fantasy of being Hank Scorpio in that Simpsons episode.

Rogue: If you want one character that can be leveled in any way at all ever, whatever, and is a different experience every few months, pick Rogue. Hubs are your buffet line and you can eat your fill of other character's moves. Her endgame boils down to one of two (maybe more, after her soon-to-come-supposedly rework) builds, but more important than anything else, she's just god drat Fun getting there.

Spider-Man: He has a melee build where you feel like a god, a ranged build where you feel like a movie star and a movement-based build where you do nothing but press "do all the damage" buttons while ping-ponging around the screen. Spider-Man is loving Legit. Also he has a ton of costumes (good and bad), including 2 that use his 90s cartoon VA.

War Machine: You have a button that gives you back Suit Power (your primary resource) and a button that dumps Heat (your secondary resource). If you play him ranged, the Heat dump is a giant flame cannon. If you like the idea of "resource management means if I pay any attention, I always have whatever I need for the job," War Machine is pretty drat fun to play.

Winter Soldier: His melee build is knives and punching, his ranged build lets you headshot someone, roll into invisibility, headshot them again. His signature power vacuums enemies in and then blows up for a shitload of damage. His ultimate power is jumping off-screen and firing on the area from a turret via HUD. He was so bad at release I quit the game for a few months and his rework/rebalance was so good that I won't shut up about it. Winter Soldier is a good time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bacon flaps
Mar 1, 2005

every day im hustlin

Eonwe posted:

someone give me impressions on the following

deadpool
dr strange
punisher

Review soon
Cool but gotta bind all the keys
Good, better if you play Rachel

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Eonwe posted:

someone give me impressions on the following

deadpool
dr strange
punisher

Deadpool is currently getting reworked from the ground up, so I'd hold off on him. Rework is looking good and they went whole hog with the crazy powers (shooting exploding hulk hand arrows, summoning alternate dimension deadpools to fight alongside you, shooting your guns out of a handstand etc) but we don't know quite yet how it;ll be in actual plau.

Dr Strange is very complicated and has lots of one point wonder buffs and triggers and stuff. You will NEED multiple power bars and a complicated rotation to play him, but if that appeals then he is very powerful, has good healing and aoe damage and some of the most visually impressive powers in the whole game.

Punisher is really great. Uses every gun imaginable, from mini nuke launcher to assault rifle to sniper. Doesn't use the default spirit/mana resource, instead you can "reload" all of your ammo with a long cooldown power, but have to manage a resource that doesn't regenerate in the meantime. Crazy damage and lots of fun. Can focus more on direct damage and ballistics, or spec into a flamethrower/gas grenade build that focuses on DoTs.

e: Punisher's sniper power will one shot some end game bosses if you score a brutal strike with it. Good feeling.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Kainser posted:

I do like that Jean Grey gets a whole bunch of remade costumes. Gaz knows which side their bread is buttered. also:

the nerfed cleavage. . . the oforums were right

I'm the sniper about to shoot her in the crotch.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

Kainser posted:

I do like that Jean Grey gets a whole bunch of remade costumes. Gaz knows which side their bread is buttered. also:

the nerfed cleavage. . . the oforums were right

lol that gun

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Mover posted:

Deadpool is currently getting reworked from the ground up, so I'd hold off on him. Rework is looking good and they went whole hog with the crazy powers (shooting exploding hulk hand arrows, summoning alternate dimension deadpools to fight alongside you, shooting your guns out of a handstand etc) but we don't know quite yet how it;ll be in actual plau.

Dr Strange is very complicated and has lots of one point wonder buffs and triggers and stuff. You will NEED multiple power bars and a complicated rotation to play him, but if that appeals then he is very powerful, has good healing and aoe damage and some of the most visually impressive powers in the whole game.

Punisher is really great. Uses every gun imaginable, from mini nuke launcher to assault rifle to sniper. Doesn't use the default spirit/mana resource, instead you can "reload" all of your ammo with a long cooldown power, but have to manage a resource that doesn't regenerate in the meantime. Crazy damage and lots of fun. Can focus more on direct damage and ballistics, or spec into a flamethrower/gas grenade build that focuses on DoTs.

e: Punisher's sniper power will one shot some end game bosses if you score a brutal strike with it. Good feeling.

i might buy punisher, and then deadpool

i dont want to mess with multiple bars so no dr strange for me

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
thanks guys

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy
Skrull Cyclops is the best costume. Make sure to buy lots of cards!

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

They're reusing assets from the LEGO marvel games

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Gaz ran out of polygons for her costume, so they only had 10 left for her gun.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

Cyclops: You shoot a lot of lasers all day and can make Beast roll into people or Angel swoop at people or Jean throw cars and poo poo at people. Eventually you get your signature, which lets you blow up anything you're facing for a few seconds, and "Optic Devastation," a power where you more or less erase half the screen on an 8-second cooldown. Cyclops is straight-forward and fun to play, but still ends up feeling more interesting than "guy with laser eyes" would sound.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Erdricks posted:

ph for dontbelievehislies.gif

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Jan 29, 2016

bacon flaps
Mar 1, 2005

every day im hustlin

Eonwe posted:

Wait til probably tomorrow, you'll get a lot of new feedback on Deadpool.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

ur a trol

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

bacon flaps posted:

Wait til probably tomorrow, you'll get a lot of new feedback on Deadpool.

ok!!!!!!!!!!!

rizzen
Apr 25, 2011

Gotta love that new thread smell. Something so pure and unblemished by 900 pages of cynicism and mobile games.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

PATCH IS TOMORROW.

And mayhem says black cat is getting released too!

Differo Cathedra
Oct 9, 2012

To be honest it was 4AM when I started making the gif and even I don't know what it's supposed to be about by the time I finished it an hour and a few GIS searches later :effort:

Just for clarification from the last thread, I hate this stupid game and I'm buying the deluxe advance.

I think I'm ready to baby orca out.

ransome
Dec 27, 2012

Cosmic, Baby!

SUN GOD AVATAR posted:

PATCH IS TOMORROW.

And mayhem says black cat is getting released too!

edit: more deadpool buffs

ransome fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jan 29, 2016

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

:ducksiren: It’s time to get wild…for the Wild 110 :ducksiren:

Goonlords, as you know, the content comes in droves in Mr. Gaz’s Marble Herse 2016. But it’s not Mr. Gaz that creates the content—no no. It’s actually US, the horrid human beings that we are. From the community that brought you the Crazy 88 and the Super 96 comes the newest beast to rue this day: THE WILD 110!

W-what does it all mean?

Oh god, you mean you didn’t see the greatness that was the 88 and the 96? You…monster. Super96.azurewebsites.net shows the power that is the 96 and beautiful videos from great men like Arboc, moderndayknight, Kordusain, Mckeone and many more are why we love this tournament.

And it’s just that—a tournament. We follow March Madness style competition starting with up to 110 players with each character represented a maximum of two times. Your character that you will play for the tournament is drawn at random and you are placed in the bracket from there. Again, check the super96.azurewebsites.net website for how this looked last summer, a fabulous season because it is sunny a lot.

A special shoutout always goes to grancheater and Falloutqq for their help with both previous websites

Rules

Rules are the same as before guys. You go through the mission with the parameters set in place (majority are defeat the bosses and meet the bounty) and get the best time possible. From there, you will see how you did and winner advances to the next round in the bracket.

Also, we all prefer video submissions. If for some reason you cannot make a video, please do screenshots with /time stamp on them for beginning and end of the round. Failure to do so is a DQ.

Do NOT enter if you cannot commit to using any character that is drawn. If we draw Deadpool for you and you don’t own Deadpool, you are buying Deadpool. Or randoming forever until you get Deadpool. One way or another, you are immersing your mind, body and soul into becoming Deadpool for the tournament. That is an honor, you heathen.

You are not obligated to make an awesome video, but it is strongly encouraged. Arboc, god amongst mortal men, has shown the beauty that is doing video submissions. Keep in mind he is much better than you in this game of life, but his videos are priceless for all eternity. Being that we stream the results on twitch for everybody, it’s a great experience to see these videos and get some cool lols, some wows and some omgs. You want to do this.

All submissions are to be sent to grootforcemh@outlook.com. You will have a due date.

Winnings

Prizes are essential and being that entry is FREE, we are very fortunate to have an incredible goon community for this tourney. I can’t thank all of our contributors enough for donating some of their hard-earned cash through their various “jobs” to help make this a successful event. Gibcount, Ansob, Rockbear, corey, and so many others—thank you so much. I mean that wholeheartedly. Payouts are:

Top 16: $5

Top 8: $10

Top 3: $20

Mr. Peabody: $50

What this means is I will need $220 through donations PLEASE. I will do the $50 to the winner through steam card as always. We received $370 last tournament to divvy out and everybody was paid handsomely for their video game prowess. Many times, we get people who donate items, games and much more just for participating. I will do this again for random entrants. Distelt, thanks for donating some games awhile back to me—I’m ready to finally put those to use for this tournament.

BIG NEWS: In the last tourney, I learned that many of you have a keen ear for great music. You have an appreciation for good art and know a great song when ya hear it. I can appreciate this as well as an avid music-listener.

I will donate you the NEWEST Nickelback CD to person with best music choice in their video. Nickelback is a critically acclaimed band from Canada and has pumped out mega hits like ‘Photograph’ and ‘This Is How You Remind Me’ and Billboard-crusher ‘Animals’. I can’t wait to share their latest CD with you, videographer.

Should you choose to be generous enough to make a monetary contribution, please let me know here or in PM or by email at grootforcemh@outlook.com. Again, thank you. :)

Timeline

We are waiting on the 55th character to release. Her name is Black Cat. She will be sooooo unique for a character. Once she releases, we will start the tournament one week later. I assume it won’t be until end of January 2016 (year is important here).

:ducksiren: THE DRAFT ITSELF IS SCHEDULED LIVE FOR THE EVENING OF DECEMBER 30TH. Grab a nice glass of scotch, sit by your yule log and join me at twitch.tv/icameforrevenge for a night of wild, tantric drafting. I will specify exact time later, and want to consider west coast people, so maybe 8:30PM EST or something. We’ll iron that out later. :ducksiren:

Once draft is done, you can start perfecting your character for terminal runs for literally one month so you can be talented. Website should be up and running and you can follow along and know your role, as The Rock says.

Final Comments

I love doing this event for the community, but honestly, it’s our event at this point. I’m going to post this on the O as well and they can watch the stream too, which means I am screwed. The greatest accomplishment of my entire life will be running this without technological hiccups. If you are religious, pray for me. If you are not religious, pray for me. If you are a racon, wash everything you own right now and pray for me.

I know the thread will blow up a bit for the next few days, but that’s kinda like the Bat Signal for everybody who has quit to post in here that they are jumping in the tournament. Nobody will understand how the hell this dead game just got 40 posts in one day. But then my family, Bladeleader, Rugio, MrWhale and even the long-gone Lozareth from a distant memory, will post and enter the tourney. Kelp will log in for the first time in 2 years. It’ll be like old times again. And that’s what excites me most. Let’s get our 110 back in here before the thread closes for the New Year’s thread and go out with a bang.

Last and probably least, ask any questions if you have any. I have some surprises up my sleeve already for how this tournament will work. It’ll be a bit different but the concept remains the same. I have a Gimmick Wheel (deal with it) that may mean one round is NOMEGA, or No Slot 1, or No Sig/Ultimates. Nothing ground-breaking, but it changes things up a bit. We’ll spin that baby LIVE. I’m seeding the brackets too. #1 seed vs. #16 seed…but how? You’ll see.

Sign-Ups

Don't remember who you got? Here's the list:

PLAYERS PICK
ICR Venom
Greywords Thor
Suikomaru Rocket Racoon
Krenlash Nova
Jubelio Venom
Mckeone Spider-man
KentonP Scarlet Witch
KelpPlankton Thor
Nulos Cyclops
Rugio Human Torch
Snorrence Luke Cage
Frankthebank Storm
Tether Mr. Fantastic
CrapNamingSystem Iron Man
AlphaVain Psylocke
abigfatbunny Black Cat
mokhu lol Iceman
bearforce X-23
burgthock Nightcrawler
claptrapbeatboxtime Ant Man
Egsunbro Punisher
LadyElevator Nightcrawler
Discorduroy Black Widow
Distelt Cyclops
MrPeabody Captain America
docmagnificent Luke Cage
RatchetyCBolt Silver Surfer
PureRok Mr. Fantastic
postmodifier Captain Marvel
BRUCEWAYANS Magik
punchymcpunch Magik
BurningHammer Deadpool
coreycoreycorey Taskmaster
skrybbles Deadpool
MrWhale Star Lord
Bankok Captain Marvel
awgibson War Machine
JSpanky Black Panther
Ugato Magneto
Lorrad Rogue
HebrewMagic Colossus
pokchu Hawkeye
iod Juggernaut
ramadu Ant Man
nostrata Gambit
DiferroBiga Invisible Woman
ponzicar Kitty Pryde
Tengama Emma Frost
Crowbb Black Widow
grumblington Juggernaut
Wintermint Iron Fist
Audish Punisher
Tremain Captain America
Damienz X-23
Digitalpants Magneto
heyitsshino She Hulk
trem Iron Man
Diabetic Moon Knight
GrandPiano Human Torch
Kainser Dr. Strange
Prel Loki
tehbroseph Dr. Doom
RadOther Scarlet Witch
nikkajonez Vision
bdwvdc Hulk
KarrdeThuun Invisible Woman
TideRuglia Moon Knight
Yeehaw Iceman
Arboc Hulk
RoshamboX Colossus
Grunchy Rocket Racoon
sirotocusii Squirrel Girl
DangerhoodSA Star Lord
Bixxby Ghost Rider
Quoc Psylocke
blarvin Hawkeye
tunklord Emma Frost
TrueSage Storm
Flanker vision
mangler103 Winter Soldier
smork Dr. Doom
cedricthecat Blade
DisasterMedic Wolverine
GiantHurtball Iron Fist
InfectionVector Squirrel Girl
Dreamofheroes Wolverine
Hogama Cable
Drythe Loki
onelouderash (Arrg) Thing
SacramentoSquid Spider-Man
aarontagg Cable
SoSKumbo Black Cat
Beetlejuicey Black Panther
BabyProof Dr. Strange
docbeard Winter Soldier
TheEastwatch Daredevil
ButtChuggler Thing
Karatechamp War Machine
adhuin Silver Surfer
brotherentropy Gambit
XHBK Blade
alexxanderz Ghost Rider
TonyBing Daredevil
Lozareth She Hulk
RedHeaded Kitty Pryde
ULTIMATExALLIANCE Jean Gray
Wizdumb Jean Gray
HoldMyOwn Taskmaster
Jujujoh Rogue
Kordusain Nova

Come through guys. Due date is 2/7. :)

nostrata
Apr 27, 2007

Eonwe posted:

Not sure if you are a new player but assuming you are, Deadpool might be worth picking up as your starter since he is a premium priced character then you can get punisher with tokens on your second day.

Also Deadpool buffs! gently caress yeah, I'm so ready for this patch.

nostrata fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Jan 29, 2016

Lux Aeterna
Feb 19, 2005

MH is probably one of the best arpgs I ever played. Maybe it's time to scratch that itch!

Are any of our intrepid veterans still playing? Our amazing crew?

Nickhimself
Phyresis
Cides
Hobocrunch
Arboc
Rufio

Those guys were a class act unto themselves

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

There's nothing refreshing like a sauna!
the most important post in this thread has been updated on page 1.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Lux Aeterna posted:

MH is probably one of the best arpgs I ever played. Maybe it's time to scratch that itch!

Are any of our intrepid veterans still playing? Our amazing crew?

Nickhimself
Phyresis
Cides
Hobocrunch
Arboc
Rufio

Those guys were a class act unto themselves

Just Arboc.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

I just wanna give some love to the excellent Kitty Pride write up in the op

suction
Jul 17, 2009
Would it be considered "cheating" or "clever use of contest mechanics" to scout the shocker terminal with a stealth character and map out my run? I already have <40s but whatever

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Add to OP

ndub
Jun 9, 2007

lmao hulk's neck

again

still

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

suction posted:

Would it be considered "cheating" or "clever use of contest mechanics" to scout the shocker terminal with a stealth character and map out my run? I already have <40s but whatever

This is fine. It's practice until your final video is sent in.

godface zillah
Nov 18, 2012

Magik - 2 (deathplaque, Greywords, soothingvapors, Kainserin, iod, RadOther, SacramentoSquid, SaintFreak, ICR, punchymcpunch, skrybbles)

Add me to this, bringing the total to 3.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

godface zillah posted:

Magik - 2 (deathplaque, Greywords, soothingvapors, Kainserin, iod, RadOther, SacramentoSquid, SaintFreak, ICR, punchymcpunch, skrybbles)

Add me to this, bringing the total to 3.

Thank you.
Yeah guys feel free to check the tism list. The counts are correct. I did the math.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Is that a new Star Lord costume? Or can I just not see half the trenchcoat?

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Kelp Plankton posted:

Is that a new Star Lord costume? Or can I just not see half the trenchcoat?

I think they just left off the trench.

So follow this

All characters on that graphic are playable...except for 1...

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

SUN GOD AVATAR posted:

I think they just left off the trench.

So follow this

All characters on that graphic are playable...except for 1...
FALCON PUNCH

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

sarmhan posted:

FALCON PUNCH

gently caress YES!!!!!!!

Bring me him mr Gaz. I NEED THIS.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

awfully prominent placement for a dude everyone was expecting to be in AP3 but didn't make it

godface zillah
Nov 18, 2012

Looks like we are finally getting playable groot.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Eonwe get silver surfer he is a rad dude (just don't try to fight a spiderman as him).

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Omg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rizzen
Apr 25, 2011

Ramadu posted:

Eonwe get silver surfer he is a rad dude (just don't try to fight a spiderman as him).

This is pertinent information that all players should remember.

• Locked thread