Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

ask the owner how much ROLLING COAL he does, strike 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Chomp chomp chomp...We have the legendary Magic Beans
Goon Made Wallets

Yeah, that makes a lot of sense actually. Apparently the previous owner installed the cortex to tow the fifth wheel.

I'm going to check it out but I'll do some more research. The thing is supposedly under a dealer warranty.

It also might be somewhat relevant to mention that I'm not paying for this particular truck, I'd be trading my 07 mustang with a very bad clutch for it. If I trade outright, I'd have a little more time and money to spend making this thing trip worthy if the engine is solid.

philkop fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Feb 4, 2016

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

philkop posted:

Yeah, that makes a lot of sense actually. Apparently the previous owner installed the cortex to tow the fifth wheel.

I'm going to check it out but I'll do some more research. The thing is supposedly under a dealer warranty.

It also might be somewhat relevant to mention that I'm not paying for this particular truck, I'd be trading my 07 mustang with a very bad clutch for it. If I trade outright, I'd have a little more time and money to spend making this thing trip worthy if the engine is solid.
Jesus, so they added power to tow more weight with a barely-adequate automatic at stock power levels. It's hosed.

gently caress, if they'll do an even swap, that truck is probably worth 15K or more. A local guy just sold a 12v for $11K up here, with over 200K on it.

::edit:: I'd flip it and buy something better.

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Goon Made Wallets

sharkytm posted:

gently caress, if they'll do an even swap, that truck is probably worth 15K or more. A local guy just sold a 12v for $11K up here, with over 200K on it.

That's what I'm saying. I figured the young gun thing helps me there. A younger guy who doesn't want to do the work selling it, but wouldn't mind even trading at less than value for a Stang.

Wait, that doesn't sound like a good previous owner for my potential truck... You never know though.

philkop fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Feb 4, 2016

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Goon Made Wallets

leica posted:

ask the owner how much ROLLING COAL he does, strike 4.

For real though, any easy test? Finger in the muffler?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

philkop posted:

I'm just gonna leave that there... not commenting.

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Goon Made Wallets

sharkytm posted:

flip it and buy something better.

That's totally a viable worst case option.

Best case, there's not too much wrong with it.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Never buy a dodge with an automatic, especially that one, from that owner.

I strongly recommend a piss yellow 1974 VW Beetle with custom roof mounted fifth wheel
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpwH9WeVEfU

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

philkop posted:

Thats what I did when I was husband shopping.

E: clearly you need a Yellow Gillig DT743.

cursedshitbox fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Feb 4, 2016

Noeland
Feb 28, 2006
Look man, I get what you're after, but you should realistically raise your target number to ~12k. Also you might be better off with a truck with a bit lower profile for less wind resistance, like say, El Camino. El Camino weighs less and is more efficient than other trucks and is much easier to get into and out of.

Just look at that. This is what you want to be seen driving.

On an unrelated note, I know a guy that is willing to sell such a wonderful truck for $12,000 and not a penny less.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

kastein posted:

Never buy a dodge with an automatic, especially that one, from that owner.

I strongly recommend a piss yellow 1974 VW Beetle with custom roof mounted fifth wheel
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpwH9WeVEfU

OP should totally get another Mustang, but yellow this time.

philkop posted:

That's totally a viable worst case option.

Best case, there's not too much wrong with it.

If the "best case" for your new turbodiesel, chipped, 5th wheel pickup is "not too much wrong with it", that is not a best case.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

cursedshitbox posted:

Thats what I did when I was husband shopping.

IoC, Note: I did not post that... :lol: I showed remarkable restraint.

A better car would be a Yellow C6 'Vette

\/\/ I didn't say that any Cummins with an auto was a bad idea, but a Cummins with a tuner and a 47RE is highly unlikely to be a good idea for cross-country heavy hauling.

sharkytm fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Feb 4, 2016

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Noeland posted:

Look man, I get what you're after, but you should realistically raise your target number to ~12k.
I might not fully agree that any Cummins with an auto is a terrible idea, but the 12k thing is not untrue.

I do have a feeling that when you look at this particular truck it will need one of everything, but you never know. At least you can get an idea about the interior of that model/configuration and think about your stuff you may want to haul in it.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde
How about this Leopard-print C3 Corvette?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
I'll see your leopard-print, and raise you a Giraffe-print GTI :

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

sharkytm posted:

I'll see your leopard-print, and raise you a Giraffe-print GTI :

What about a giraffe-print Prelude? More reliable than that mid-90s VAG

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

I hear these leopard print buses come with 5.9s and automatics. I bet you can turn them up for some good times.

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Goon Made Wallets

sharkytm posted:

I'm just gonna leave that there... not commenting.

I mean, the soot might leave my finger black if they do that often. Lol

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Goon Made Wallets

Terrible Robot posted:

If the "best case" for your new turbodiesel, chipped, 5th wheel pickup is "not too much wrong with it", that is not a best case.

I feel you. But I'm not buying anything. I'd be even trading a lesser vehicle with " not too much wrong with it."

But I guess best best case, the truck is pristine.

A friend of a friend works on diesel trucks. He's going to check it out for me for a few rounds of beers.

philkop fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Feb 4, 2016

User Error
Aug 31, 2006

philkop posted:

Butts.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde

philkop posted:

Any muffler that's been used on a car for any length of time is going to have soot buildup on the inside of the tip.

DON'T BUY THAT TRUCK UNLESS YOU BUDGET FOR AN ENTIRELY NEW OR AT LEAST REBUILT TRANSMISSION.

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Goon Made Wallets

literally a fish posted:

Any muffler that's been used on a car for any length of time is going to have soot buildup on the inside of the tip.

DON'T BUY THAT TRUCK UNLESS YOU BUDGET FOR AN ENTIRELY NEW OR AT LEAST REBUILT TRANSMISSION.

The way I see it, if I can get this as an even trade. I'm ok with putting 5K into the truck between now and when we set sail (september.)

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

If you do get it, given the risk you might want to have the trans replaced/rebuilt as a preventive measure, that way you can control where and who is working on it rather than having it poo poo the bed in BFE and some hack installing it at three times the price.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.
Do what I do:

Don't do what I do

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

philkop posted:

A friend of a friend works on diesel trucks. He's going to check it out for me for a few rounds of beers.

http://fresno.craigslist.org/cto/5432579487.html

How about a 2003 6.0. Bet your buddy would looooove you forever.

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Goon Made Wallets
So I questioned the guy about the VIN not pulling up as correct, and suddenly he's not into mustangs.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Shocking!

Gotta love buying from private owners, even worse selling to the general public.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde

philkop posted:

So I questioned the guy about the VIN not pulling up as correct, and suddenly he's not into mustangs.

So you're back on the market!

How about this Leopard-print Audi A8?

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

Sandbagger SA posted:

Do what I do:

Don't do what I do

I find myself drawn to you

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

And I wonder, I still wonder, who'll stop the rain.

cursedshitbox posted:

V10s hate sparkplugs and rod bearings. In short; no.

When they do run, you gotta wind the gently caress outta them too.

I drive a ford V10 tow truck for work, it is at 194k km, regularly serviced and has yet to give any major issues aside from a fuel pump every 2 years but the sister truck to mine just suffered a timing chain failure at 140k km, (but keep in mind this is a tow truck that gets beat like a $20 hooker) should be out of the shop with a new short block in a week or 2. And yes they need to be Rev'ed right the gently caress out to give any real power, and gas mileage is a loving joke.

In short, no V10.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE

cursedshitbox posted:

http://fresno.craigslist.org/cto/5432579487.html

How about a 2003 6.0. Bet your buddy would looooove you forever.

Honestly the 6.0l issues are overblown. A high mileage truck is unlikely to lift a head if it made it that far on the oem bolts. Oil cooler can be tested with an android phone and 15 minutes on a highway. FICM issues are mostly keeping batteries around for too long. Change your oil regularly and only use Motorcraft filters.

A lot of the other issues like HPOP, turbo longevity and injectors seem to just be facts of life with a diesel of that vintage. As far as I can tell the transmission and chassis are rock solid on these trucks.

2004.5 and newer would be the best bet though.

Mine just hit 222,222 yesterday. I've owned it for 7k miles and the only work I've done is 3 glow plugs, new fuel regulator (old one leaked) and an oil change. One plug is throwing a code still so it may need the upper harness or a new glow plug controller.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

FatCow posted:

Honestly the 6.0l issues are overblown. A high mileage truck is unlikely to lift a head if it made it that far on the oem bolts. Oil cooler can be tested with an android phone and 15 minutes on a highway. FICM issues are mostly keeping batteries around for too long. Change your oil regularly and only use Motorcraft filters.

A lot of the other issues like HPOP, turbo longevity and injectors seem to just be facts of life with a diesel of that vintage. As far as I can tell the transmission and chassis are rock solid on these trucks.

2004.5 and newer would be the best bet though.

Mine just hit 222,222 yesterday. I've owned it for 7k miles and the only work I've done is 3 glow plugs, new fuel regulator (old one leaked) and an oil change. One plug is throwing a code still so it may need the upper harness or a new glow plug controller.

I bought a 07 6.0 super cheap ($1500) with 6.0 things wrong with it. after fixing it was a sweet sweet truck. I'd totally own another but I've problems.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

The 6.0 is a lovely shitbox compared to the competition. Although, maybe the ones still driving have gotten the bugs worked out, via several bank accounts being thrown at it over the years. I've never cared to keep up with them based on prior experience.

I can tell you they were unreliable fuckers when new.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

stevobob posted:

I find myself drawn to you

I've towed this camper quite a bit (the furthest trip being about 200 miles to an NEAI goonmeet).

It is only 13' but I can't imagine towing anything longer with a YJ.

I think OP would be hating life trying to live out of a 13' camper.

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Goon Made Wallets

Sandbagger SA posted:

I've towed this camper quite a bit (the furthest trip being about 200 miles to an NEAI goonmeet).

It is only 13' but I can't imagine towing anything longer with a YJ.

I think OP would be hating life trying to live out of a 13' camper.

Yeah, I really wanted a Jeep to work, but I tossed that idea out early on after some research. Even the Unlimited's would have a tough time, which surprised me because I thought it was mostly a wheel base thing.

Your set up is sweet for a weekend down at the lake thing though.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

No one asked for this, and its not my thread... But anyway I ended up finding an 01 2wd 8.1/Allison 3500 GMC. Completely stock, clean interior, only a couple small things don't work. Emissions cycle complete and all that.

It's a full respray, halfway decent except typical overspray and crappy taping instead of removing anything. So basically a paint job worthy of the truck's value and use. It'll look good pulling my trailers, and probably last forever if I store it in the shop. Gave $8500 for it which is probably too much, but oh well. I'd rather this than a more questionable truck.

Apparently you can add 4wd to the HD trucks with an Allison, much easier than the 4l80 or whatever. GM used all the same front end parts, and the Allison used the same tailshaft for 2wd and 4wd.

Just have to find a donor vehicle with a manual transfer case, and steal all the parts including the tailshaft housing and get new gaskets. So, that's an option for later.

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Goon Made Wallets

angryrobots posted:

No one asked for this, and its not my thread...

I was really surprised there wasn't a truck megathread. Maybe this should be the start.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
That is a pretty solid buy and a better ending than I expected when you started talking about tunered auto cummins trucks, to be honest. :v:

Should be able to pass almost anything... except a fuel station.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

That's the OP that was interested in the modded truck, I just co-opted the thread with my own story. I was never looking for a Cummins of any variety :v:

Anyhow I agree that a thread for trucks, trailering, towing questions would be a useful thing.

angryrobots fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Feb 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Goon Made Wallets
I've explored other options.

The current plan is to get a 14" box truck and convert it ourselves. I see alot of trucks in good condition in my area pretty cheap.

We didn't really like any of the campers we saw anyways, and since we'll be working out of this, it's better we make it to our specs.

In my state, you can get them registered as a regular heavy truck. I talked to some dmv people about registering it as an RV and its doable.

E: the majority of the trucks I'm looking at are Ford e350s or 7.3L Diesels

• Locked thread