Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Larrymer posted:

Post the VIN, I can send you the full build sheet probably.

Edit: Seems to only work on 96 and newer vehicles. :( Sorry.

Mind posting mine? Curious what rear end my truck has. I think this drivetrain package got a 4.10 LSD. The online VIN decoders don't tell me.

VIN removed

angryrobots fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Feb 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

LeeMajors posted:

:unsmith: :hf: :unsmith:

Sup, sub-5k Runner buddy.

I got 26 average in my 4cyl/5sp Tacoma, but I drive like a grandpa and that should be better in the 2010s.

P happy w the V6 runner mileage--averages 20 mixed driving no matter what I do.

Mine has the 4cyl 5 speed 4x4 drivetrain. Its really not that slow and if I really baby it (which I never do) it'll do over 25mpg

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

angryrobots posted:

Mind posting mine? Curious what rear end my truck has. I think this drivetrain package got a 4.10 LSD. The online VIN decoders don't tell me.

1GTJC39G31F142421

You have a 4.10. And a PM. :)

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Big K of Justice posted:

Thats correct, got that mixed up, 700R4, so 4L60 for sure. I'm hunting for a transmission pan with a drain plug so I can change fluid pretty easily in the future.

One thing that threw me was the 5 bolt wheels, since most of the OBS style half tons seem to be 6 bolt wheels unless that was part of a package upgrade. I'd check the factory build codes in the glove box but all the ink faded.

C1500s (2WD) all had 5-lug. K1500s (4WD) were 6 lug.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

Mine has the 4cyl 5 speed 4x4 drivetrain. Its really not that slow and if I really baby it (which I never do) it'll do over 25mpg

I was a cockhair away from getting a 4cyl (which I prefer)/auto but the guy sold it out from under me. I couldn't find a 5sp with acceptable mileage within 500mi of SC.

Needless to say, I'm jealous as fuuuuu

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Larrymer posted:

You have a 4.10. And a PM. :)

Most excellent. Thank you.

A 4wd 8.1/Allison or duramax has 3.73 gears, and a 6.0 4wd has 4.10 gears right?

bandman
Mar 17, 2008

LeeMajors posted:

:unsmith: :hf: :unsmith:

Sup, sub-5k Runner buddy.

I got 26 average in my 4cyl/5sp Tacoma, but I drive like a grandpa and that should be better in the 2010s.

P happy w the V6 runner mileage--averages 20 mixed driving no matter what I do.

My 2000 4Runner does pretty much the same. I'll get 22-23 on long road trips, and 20 around town. The worst I ever got was 17 towing a 3000lb camper trailer with questionable wheel bearings. It's one helluva truck.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

angryrobots posted:

Most excellent. Thank you.

A 4wd 8.1/Allison or duramax has 3.73 gears, and a 6.0 4wd has 4.10 gears right?

All duramax trucks have 3.73's.

Not sure about the gas engines, I think they could be optioned either way.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

rdb posted:

All duramax trucks have 3.73's.

Not sure about the gas engines, I think they could be optioned either way.

In the HD's, the 6.0 was only paired with the 4.10. The 8.1 could be had with either the 4.10 or the 3.73.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

FatCow posted:

Real trucks only. I don't have a pic with the trailer on it.

So why are you guys all posting pictures of cars then? :v:

Work truck- 33,000lb in the truck, 5500lb in the trailer, 7700lb in the backhoe on the float.

If it aint got air brakes, it aint a truck.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

That trailer is too short for regularly carrying that size backhoe. And the ramps don't have knees? That's an accident waiting to happen right there.

Also with the way the truck is squatting, need to check you GVWR and run it across some scales. It's real easy for a truck to get overloaded when you have equipment bins, might not be enough capacity left to haul that trailer. I work in the utility industry and it's a common problem.

Edit: maybe you're not in America, which means different rules, but that's a big truck to be squatting that much.

angryrobots fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Feb 23, 2016

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Ferremit posted:

So why are you guys all posting pictures of cars then? :v:

Work truck- 33,000lb in the truck, 5500lb in the trailer, 7700lb in the backhoe on the float.

If it aint got air brakes, it aint a truck.

Well if you're gonna pull that card.

Air brakes, tandem drive, non syncro 15 speed, and a GCVWR of 80,000lb.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
According to my internet detective skills of typing DEWNR into google that is Australia and also a government owned vehicle. This actually makes it worse not better.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

angryrobots posted:

That trailer is too short for regularly carrying that size backhoe. And the ramps don't have knees? That's an accident waiting to happen right there.

Also with the way the truck is squatting, need to check you GVWR and run it across some scales. It's real easy for a truck to get overloaded when you have equipment bins, might not be enough capacity left to haul that trailer. I work in the utility industry and it's a common problem.

Edit: maybe you're not in America, which means different rules, but that's a big truck to be squatting that much.

Yeah it's not that machines regular float- we had a massive pipe burst in the middle of another park we had to fix right now and the regular float was off getting the brakes serviced so we just used the bobcat float instead for the 5km journey. It's also a "never unload this machine unless it's connected to a truck" float too

The squat in the rear of the truck is because it's been parked and not run since the backhoe was loaded so it hasn't reset the rear air bags to level itself out with the tow hitch down weight- the trucks gvm is 15T and GCVM is 28T and we've got enough freeboard to allow for ball down weight in the truck.

And yeah, it's government which means it's 100% by the book or not done at all with vehicles- the arse kicking you get for not being legal isn't worth taking any risk at all- it WILL cost you your job!

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Here is exactly the opposite, I've never seen a DOT equipment trailer with its load secured in the manner that I'm required to in a commercial vehicle (4 separate chains with 4 binders, no hooking front chains and backing up. Also any boom or loader arm has to be binded down with its own chain and binder).

Road crews never put out signs or appropriate cone buffer zones or anything either.

Anyhow sorry I doubted you! Air bags... nice. I'm still kinda surprised you use a trailer without ramp knees for a bobcat, does the trailer (or, er... float) tilt?

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Yeah, the airbag systems pretty impressive on the MAN trucks- As you use the water in the truck (its a fire truck we use for works) the airbags bleed air off to keep the truck at a set level, same as you fill it, it adds pressure to keep it level too. Drop a trailer on, system registers the extra weight, increases the pressure and because it knows how many psi/kg it takes to compensate for weight, it knows exactly how much weights over the back axle, and tells the transmission to change its shift patterns to allow for it. its got a ZF 12 speed Ztronic trans, which is a 12 speed manual with auto clutch and auto shift, and it will take off in a higher gear and skip shift its its lightly loaded, or if its right up at the heavy end, it will start really low and work through every gear to get up to speed.

The floats pretty drat old and doesnt have hydraulic lift on the rear ramps, so they have to be built a lot lighter than one with hydro lift. The float doesnt tilt, but you can jack the back of the truck up by about 8" to tilt it using the airbags. We also tend to use 2500kg webbing ratchet straps instead of chain binders- they have a bad habit of you reefing the poo poo out of them, getting them tight as a bastard and going for a 2 minute drive to see ones gone loose and popped open. Ratchet straps are really idiot proof and with 2x straps at the front and 2x straps at the back youve got 10,000kg of lashing capacity (not break strain) holding your poo poo down. Never heard of holding down a loader arm- you see spare trenching buckets in a backhoe being restrained but thats about it. Excavators and that will get the bucket and arm on a low loader lashed down, but that because its a standard to stop the drat thing rotating itself out into traffic!

And if your in a government vehicle here without a load properly restrained and you get caught, its a breech of the public service code of conduct (thou shall not unnecessarily endanger your employers!), which can get your arse fired and black listed from ever holding a government job again too.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Interesting. You don't see webbing straps for binding heavy equipment here. I mean, I kinda like the idea that if the trailer comes loose at speed, at the very least the equipment should stay binded. We actually had that happen a few years ago... Trailer flipped over but the tractor never came off.

We have gotten away from snap chain binders for the same reason you don't like them. Just use ratchet style chain binders now. Most of our equipment is tracked, and they don't walk around like a pneumatic tired vehicle tries to.

BigFuzzyJesus
Dec 4, 2007
Now with more Jesus

my dd/beat rear end old plow truck/tow rig

5.7/4l80/3.78(I think)/lsd annd 270K miles and all the piston slap, steering slop, and missing rockers/corners to show for it.

Has anyone ever replaced a steering box in one of these?

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Yeah it's easy peasy

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

BigFuzzyJesus posted:

my dd/beat rear end old plow truck/tow rig

5.7/4l80/3.78(I think)/lsd annd 270K miles and all the piston slap, steering slop, and missing rockers/corners to show for it.

Has anyone ever replaced a steering box in one of these?

I replaced the entire front wheel well (ball joints, tie rods, control arms, etc) and my steering still feels vague as hell in my 01. I too have the slap. :/

Send your VIN, I may be able to look up your rear end ratio. Same goes for anybody else as long as it's Chevy or GMC if you want your build sheet and it's newer than 96 or so.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Did you replace the steering box and intermediate shaft?

It doesn't seem like much but there's a flexible disc in the steering shaft that will add slop when it wears out.

BigFuzzyJesus
Dec 4, 2007
Now with more Jesus
Afaik after 96 there is no rag joint

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

angryrobots posted:

Did you replace the steering box and intermediate shaft?

It doesn't seem like much but there's a flexible disc in the steering shaft that will add slop when it wears out.

Nope, I have not. It's not dangerous level but you're constantly having to saw at the wheel on the highway because of the slop. Might have to swap them out and see if that takes care of it.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

angryrobots posted:

Here is exactly the opposite, I've never seen a DOT equipment trailer with its load secured in the manner that I'm required to in a commercial vehicle (4 separate chains with 4 binders, no hooking front chains and backing up. Also any boom or loader arm has to be binded down with its own chain and binder).

I see a lot of the opposite in WA. F550 chassis cabs with a service box on the back for animal control with room for like, 10 animals in the back. Some of the DOT trucks that roam around seem seriously over specced for what they do on a daily basis.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

angryrobots posted:

Interesting. You don't see webbing straps for binding heavy equipment here. I mean, I kinda like the idea that if the trailer comes loose at speed, at the very least the equipment should stay binded. We actually had that happen a few years ago... Trailer flipped over but the tractor never came off.

We have gotten away from snap chain binders for the same reason you don't like them. Just use ratchet style chain binders now. Most of our equipment is tracked, and they don't walk around like a pneumatic tired vehicle tries to.

Webbing straps are nice for dynamic loads because they can stretch and still stay tight, but they don't replace ratchet binders. Snap binders are sketchy as gently caress. When we had to tow our big boat, we had 6x 10,000# Ratchet straps on it, and it'd still move over big bumps. We couldn't use chains because they'd tear the aluminum up too badly. Even strapped to hell and back, I never liked towing that thing. 12,000# of boat, towed from Mass to Northern Maine or Maryland. Ugh.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

cursedshitbox posted:

Well if you're gonna pull that card.

Air brakes, tandem drive, non syncro 15 speed, and a GCVWR of 80,000lb.

:perfect:

The one Class A Motorhome that won't blow up into a million pieces of wood and fiberglass in a accident.

Blue bird?

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Well I've been kinda googling around about how to add 4wd to my 2001, apparently it's relatively easy to add to the HD trucks with the Allison transmission, they used the same tailshaft for 2 and 4wd so it's only a matter of getting all the parts, only a minimum of cutting and welding, most of it bolts right up.

It was only a time wasting exercise for me, nothing I planned to do right now.... Until a wrecked complete floor shifted 4wd 8.1/Allison 2001 popped up on CL for $2500. A buddy of mine wants the motor, transmission, and other stuff to distribute among his projects, and I can get whatever I need from the front end and 4wd.

What's money for anyway?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Big K of Justice posted:

:perfect:

The one Class A Motorhome that won't blow up into a million pieces of wood and fiberglass in a accident.

Blue bird?

Part Gillig, part custom build for Paramount pictures.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

When your friends do not encourage you to make responsible life decisions.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

angryrobots posted:

When your friends do not encourage you to make responsible life decisions.

neither truck pictured is a diesel. :colbert:

\/\/ I stand corrected, I missed the chrome emblem up on the hood. It seems so much larger in real life. (I want to Plasti-Dip mine black so badly)

sharkytm fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Feb 29, 2016

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Yeah, the denali is a duramax.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?
Called GM Canada for a compliance letter so I can import my C1500 down to the US in april when I move back down to Cali.

Got a call back since the manufacture date is Nov/1991, my 1992 hits the 25 year rule and is exempt from the compliance check. That makes things easier :)

Anyone got suggestions on interiors of these? I pulled a good condition, plastic backed headliner out of a pick n' pull truck.

Going to order new flooring tomorrow, thinking of going with blue Vinyl vs blue carpet.

https://www.accmats.com/

Rock auto canada stocks ACC products, and I'm guessing I"ll have to do a bit of edge trimming with a set of sheers, I'm thinking of the truck is going to be running around Socal as a parts pickup/utility beater truck I'd better off with an easy to clean vinyl floor vs carpet.

Still got to track down the hesitation I'm getting when I'm at speed going slightly uphill at low throttle. Wondering if its a vacuum leak or egr issue. All new plugs and wires on it.

• Locked thread