Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
digger_smolkin
Feb 23, 2007

Any Problem Solved

Is A New Problem Made
My company work truck has the Chevy 6.0 gasser. It gets 9 mpg around town empty, maybe 12mpg highway with a good tail wind. Many other non-drivetrain issues, mostly electrical and HVAC-related, way too many for a 10-yr old truck with 180K miles.
MY personal vehicle is a 94 F250 with the turboed 7.3 IDI. 17 mpg city, 19 highway, 198Kmiles. So much more comfortable and easier to repair. Of course, I have to do the repairs myself! Luckily, the internet exists and there are some excellent sites where insane IDIots (like me) can help.
The old Ford IDIs need more love. It is a real tragedy that most shops have lost the proper tools and expertise to repair them (notably, injection pump timing meters and septagenerian mechanics) They are insanely simple and reliable, and with a turbo they can be pretty fun. The IDIs will burn biodiesel/waste motor oil like no one's business due to the lower injection pressures (around 2000psi) also. Most problems people have with them are cold start-related and there are well-documented ways to fix them. They are old-school workhorses that have soul and were designed by a farm implement company in an era when bushes and sports cars were still huge.
I've owned 3 ('84, '90, '94) and would purchase another if I had room in the driveway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

digger_smolkin
Feb 23, 2007

Any Problem Solved

Is A New Problem Made

cursedshitbox posted:

This is pretty much why I am after a IDI. But holy poo poo the prices have creeped up on em. Can you even get the proper tools for em anymore?

They come up on ebay once in a whlie, usually in broken or abused condition. Oilburners, FTE and similar sites with marketplaces are indispensable. For example, the fuel injection pump is mechanical so timing is especially important; a lot of people who hated IDIs probably drove a "timed-by-ear" truck which admittedly will be disappointing compared to say, a contemporary stock 460 gasser (or even 300 I-6.) You need a meter or timing adapter to do it right, and Oilburners in particular has members who will go out of their way to help you get one.

• Locked thread