Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
I come with nothing but anecdotal knowledge.

Anecdote #1: The 7.3 is supposed to be a great engine, the last before things turned to poo poo for a while with Ford's diesels.
Anecdate #2: Diesels are much more expensive to repair. That's about the extent of my diesel knowledge.

If you're considering gas, a Chevy 2500HD with the 6.0 might be a good choice, extremely durable engine. As I've heard here on AI it's a "million mile motor in a 250,000 mile body".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

philkop posted:

Thanks bud.

Can anyone else expand on just how much more it is the fix diesels? This would be a concern for us on the road. Is it like twice as much?

I see a few decent 2500HDs in my area. At what point does diesel become more economical than gas? We will only be tripping for 1-2 years with a possible 15K miles on the rig. I had some plans to go bio diesel as well, so thats a plus.

There was a guy with a thread on here when he owned/ran a mechanics shop. A lot of people chimed in with how hard it is to find a good diesel mechanic and how expensive they are. Twice the cost (labor, parts) is probably about right.

If you're only doing 15k miles I think and argument could be made that there are a lot more potential "super expensive repairs" that could happen on a diesel than a gas truck, but again it's just guessing. If you were getting one to drive 150k and assuming the diesel and gas were both mechanically good, you may want the extra torque and durability of a good diesel, but you can probably get a good, cheap 15k miles out of a decent shape 6.0 chevy.

There is a guy on youtube who buys junkyard 200k+ mile chevy 6.0 V8s and puts a huge turbo on them and beats the poo poo out of them at ~600hp. They're a pretty incredible engine.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
General truck chat: I like the idea of the new ridgeline. Is there any legitimate downside to a FWD truck? Like maybe the transmission needs to be physically smaller so it's theoretically less robust. I honestly can't think of a good reason.

Unfortunately, it's going to be just as expensive as a stripper fullsize truck so since parking is not an issue I have, I'd probably still just get a fullsize.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Yea I'm not really impressed with any truck highway ratings these days, they're all so tall they catch wind like crazy.

Elephanthead posted:

Well the upside is it is a minivan so it rides like a dream. The downside is it has a lower towing capacity. It will use much less gas though since you are not dragging around a ton of steel.

The towing capacity is more because it's unibody construction. I've heard estimates from 5000-7000lbs. Payload is supposed to be around 1600lbs, which is apparently quite competitive. I was curious about that if it was a benefit to being FWD, less running-gear-weight already over the back so it can enjoy an increased payload? I dunno, I don't really understand the cause and effect of a lot of this stuff.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Haha, still timely!

• Locked thread