Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

philkop posted:

Thanks bud.

Can anyone else expand on just how much more it is the fix diesels? This would be a concern for us on the road. Is it like twice as much?

I see a few decent 2500HDs in my area. At what point does diesel become more economical than gas? We will only be tripping for 1-2 years with a possible 15K miles on the rig. I had some plans to go bio diesel as well, so thats a plus.

There are two sides to the coin.

On one hand, parts are more expensive. Injectors are somewhat of a wear item, and can be quickly destroyed by bad fuel, running out of fuel, or in a 7.3/6.0/6.4 missing oil change intervals. for the 7.3 they're about $1000 a set, but that said if they do go you can put 160% injectors in and gain 50-100hp. The turbo can go which is another $1000-$2000, but again instead of a factory replacement, the same money improves the vehicle. There are improved aftermarket options for almost every weak point.

In 15,000 miles pulling a trailer, a 7.3 would probably do 12-14mpg, a chevy 6.0 or 8.1 could barely do that empty, and with a travel trailer on they would probably be around 7-8mpg. That's 1153 gallons of diesel or about $2306, or 1875 gallons of gas or about $3750. Unless something fails catastrophically, there really shouldn't be $1400 in repairs within 15,000 miles, but that potential is always there.

I've put about 5000 miles on a 120k mile 7.3 i bought at auction as a non-runner for $750 without doing any engine work outside of an oil change. It'll start at -30*c without a block heater and do 21mpg highway where my old 5.4 f-150 couldn't do 15mpg.

Ford 6.4s will be out of your price range, avoid 6.0s like the plague.The 7.3s are pretty great. You can usually hear low compression on cylinders when you're cold starting it, and see it as uneven puffs of blowby by pulling the oil cap off. a bad turbo or stuck injectors would be evident on a test drive. Be aware though that most code readers won't work on a 7.3
It will be tough to find a decent cummins in your price range, but the 98.5+ you can cycle the key three times and leave it in the on position and it will start throwing all the codes at you. a 12 valve make sure the killer dowel pin has been dealt with, high mileage 24 valves, make sure the VP44 injector pump has been replaced and the front suspension has been serviced
there won't be a duramax within your price range that doesn't need injectors. There are reman sets for about $1000 these days, but it's still a pain to do.

looking on craigslist in orlando where you first linked, and the only 99+ 7.3s seem to be over 10 grand and over 300,000 miles which sucks. If you have the cash in hand and some time to work out the bugs with your own labor before you hit the road, an auction could be a good choice, even if a bit of a gamble.

This went for $6k and would be pretty awesome. https://www.rbauction.com/1999-FORD-F350-Crew-Cab?invId=4101332&id=ar&auction=ORLANDO-FL-2014119

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The 5.9 is great, and that's really low mileage for one. The VP44 injector pump is the weak spot of the engine, the transmission is the weak spot of the truck, and at that mileage you'd have to replace quite a bit of the front suspension.

When you're checking it out, you can cycle the key from off to on 3 times ending in the on position and get all the codes.

• Locked thread