Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
Just get an auto for towing, do you really want to deal with slipping the clutch to get out of a muddy campsite with 6k on the back?

I don't have an overall recommendation, but some things to consider.

You'll be on the road, so you'll likely be paying a shop for all repairs. Diesel repairs are not cheap. This has been brought up a few times now. (15L oil changes for example)

Not sure where you'll be, but if you are in the frozen north during winter you may need to take some extra steps with a diesel. Older diesels likely fare worse here than something more modern. I can notice a difference from summer to winter on my 6.0L F250 here in the mild NC winters.

I'm guessing a 6k lb camper will be similar to a 6k lb enclosed car hauler. Expect single digit gas mileage out of a gas truck.

When looking at the tow ratings for gas trucks make sure you also make sure you look at the frontal area maxes.

That said, at highway speed you'll never regret having a diesel, towing gas vs diesel is night and day with a heavy trailer. Especially if you have to do anything with elevation changes. I used to have a 4.6L F150 to tow a ~4k trailer. I had to pay constant attention to it to keep the truck from unlocking the torque converter at the slightest incline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
If you're willing to take a trip look at Dallas Craigslist. I almost flew down there and drove back when I bought my F250. Trucks are stupid cheap there.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
Unless you go diesel/V10 the tow rating for the F250 is about the same as a F150 with the same motor.

Live dangerously, get a 6.0L F250.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002

cursedshitbox posted:

http://fresno.craigslist.org/cto/5432579487.html

How about a 2003 6.0. Bet your buddy would looooove you forever.

Honestly the 6.0l issues are overblown. A high mileage truck is unlikely to lift a head if it made it that far on the oem bolts. Oil cooler can be tested with an android phone and 15 minutes on a highway. FICM issues are mostly keeping batteries around for too long. Change your oil regularly and only use Motorcraft filters.

A lot of the other issues like HPOP, turbo longevity and injectors seem to just be facts of life with a diesel of that vintage. As far as I can tell the transmission and chassis are rock solid on these trucks.

2004.5 and newer would be the best bet though.

Mine just hit 222,222 yesterday. I've owned it for 7k miles and the only work I've done is 3 glow plugs, new fuel regulator (old one leaked) and an oil change. One plug is throwing a code still so it may need the upper harness or a new glow plug controller.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
Real trucks only. I don't have a pic with the trailer on it.

• Locked thread