Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

sharkytm posted:

I sold my '04 with 172k on it for $5500 last year.
Good god, was it a 2wd single cab and beat to poo poo?

I'm looking for one, having a hard time finding one that isn't jacked up, needs maintenance, with non 10 ply m/t tires, and a cb whip not hooked to anything, - price, 10k ish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

cursedshitbox posted:

That said the 6.0 gas 2500 would do you well. I found a 8.1 2004 2500 locally and am very tempted to grab it.
8.1/Allison is what I'd like, but they are hard to come by, and I haven't seen one listed within 200 miles that was under 14k asking price

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

cursedshitbox posted:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/cto/5401629403.html

Its Far from you, but it seems absurdly cheap
Sheezus. I would absolutely look at that if it was closer. This is what I'm dealing with: http://columbia.craigslist.org/cto/5352075340.html

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Fuel consumption (especially unloaded) is no big concern to me. It's only for occasional heavy hauling, with seating for at least 4.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

"It's been bulletproofed, I swear!"

Also, the suggestion to look at the Dallas Craigslist, has me trying to figure out the logistics of flying there and driving this back.

angryrobots fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Feb 1, 2016

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I've got too much going on, if you're interested go for it.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Noeland posted:

Look man, I get what you're after, but you should realistically raise your target number to ~12k.
I might not fully agree that any Cummins with an auto is a terrible idea, but the 12k thing is not untrue.

I do have a feeling that when you look at this particular truck it will need one of everything, but you never know. At least you can get an idea about the interior of that model/configuration and think about your stuff you may want to haul in it.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

The 6.0 is a lovely shitbox compared to the competition. Although, maybe the ones still driving have gotten the bugs worked out, via several bank accounts being thrown at it over the years. I've never cared to keep up with them based on prior experience.

I can tell you they were unreliable fuckers when new.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

No one asked for this, and its not my thread... But anyway I ended up finding an 01 2wd 8.1/Allison 3500 GMC. Completely stock, clean interior, only a couple small things don't work. Emissions cycle complete and all that.

It's a full respray, halfway decent except typical overspray and crappy taping instead of removing anything. So basically a paint job worthy of the truck's value and use. It'll look good pulling my trailers, and probably last forever if I store it in the shop. Gave $8500 for it which is probably too much, but oh well. I'd rather this than a more questionable truck.

Apparently you can add 4wd to the HD trucks with an Allison, much easier than the 4l80 or whatever. GM used all the same front end parts, and the Allison used the same tailshaft for 2wd and 4wd.

Just have to find a donor vehicle with a manual transfer case, and steal all the parts including the tailshaft housing and get new gaskets. So, that's an option for later.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

That's the OP that was interested in the modded truck, I just co-opted the thread with my own story. I was never looking for a Cummins of any variety :v:

Anyhow I agree that a thread for trucks, trailering, towing questions would be a useful thing.

angryrobots fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Feb 15, 2016

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

cursedshitbox posted:

Picked this fucker up for 4,000.

90' 7.3 Idi, ZF5, Kingpin 60 front, 10.25 rear. 134,000 miles.
That is an awesome truck, love the custom flatbed.

sharkytm posted:

That 8.1 must be a monster. Good thing fuel is so cheap for now.
Fuel is practically a negligible item for how rarely I drive the truck without anything attached, and if it manages 12 mpg that will match my Tundra (while it was towing).

And yes, it's laughably powerful. Like a truck that big shouldn't have that much get up. It will probably do much better than my poor Tundra that I sometimesoverloaded.

How do you like the new GMC 4 door extended cab? I think it's great, our mechanic just got one.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Trailer brakes are the best.

When I was bringing my XJ to my new house on my 7x20 trailer, I had a young guy attempt to pass with oncoming cars. Guess he didn't realize how long my vehicle was, anyhow, the only way he got around was by me and the oncoming car slamming on the brakes. If I was brakeless he'd have eaten my front quarter panel and spun into the ditch. It actually surprised me how effectively it slowed at panic. Fun times!

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Larrymer posted:

Post the VIN, I can send you the full build sheet probably.

Edit: Seems to only work on 96 and newer vehicles. :( Sorry.

Mind posting mine? Curious what rear end my truck has. I think this drivetrain package got a 4.10 LSD. The online VIN decoders don't tell me.

VIN removed

angryrobots fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Feb 22, 2016

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Larrymer posted:

You have a 4.10. And a PM. :)

Most excellent. Thank you.

A 4wd 8.1/Allison or duramax has 3.73 gears, and a 6.0 4wd has 4.10 gears right?

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

That trailer is too short for regularly carrying that size backhoe. And the ramps don't have knees? That's an accident waiting to happen right there.

Also with the way the truck is squatting, need to check you GVWR and run it across some scales. It's real easy for a truck to get overloaded when you have equipment bins, might not be enough capacity left to haul that trailer. I work in the utility industry and it's a common problem.

Edit: maybe you're not in America, which means different rules, but that's a big truck to be squatting that much.

angryrobots fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Feb 23, 2016

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Here is exactly the opposite, I've never seen a DOT equipment trailer with its load secured in the manner that I'm required to in a commercial vehicle (4 separate chains with 4 binders, no hooking front chains and backing up. Also any boom or loader arm has to be binded down with its own chain and binder).

Road crews never put out signs or appropriate cone buffer zones or anything either.

Anyhow sorry I doubted you! Air bags... nice. I'm still kinda surprised you use a trailer without ramp knees for a bobcat, does the trailer (or, er... float) tilt?

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Interesting. You don't see webbing straps for binding heavy equipment here. I mean, I kinda like the idea that if the trailer comes loose at speed, at the very least the equipment should stay binded. We actually had that happen a few years ago... Trailer flipped over but the tractor never came off.

We have gotten away from snap chain binders for the same reason you don't like them. Just use ratchet style chain binders now. Most of our equipment is tracked, and they don't walk around like a pneumatic tired vehicle tries to.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Yeah it's easy peasy

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Did you replace the steering box and intermediate shaft?

It doesn't seem like much but there's a flexible disc in the steering shaft that will add slop when it wears out.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Well I've been kinda googling around about how to add 4wd to my 2001, apparently it's relatively easy to add to the HD trucks with the Allison transmission, they used the same tailshaft for 2 and 4wd so it's only a matter of getting all the parts, only a minimum of cutting and welding, most of it bolts right up.

It was only a time wasting exercise for me, nothing I planned to do right now.... Until a wrecked complete floor shifted 4wd 8.1/Allison 2001 popped up on CL for $2500. A buddy of mine wants the motor, transmission, and other stuff to distribute among his projects, and I can get whatever I need from the front end and 4wd.

What's money for anyway?

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

When your friends do not encourage you to make responsible life decisions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Yeah, the denali is a duramax.

• Locked thread