Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

rdb posted:

Tow ratings (other than Toyota) are just a manufacturer estimate. I don't think anyone really knows all of what goes into the numbers they throw out.

There's an SAE standard for towing. I'm not sure as of today who adopted it.

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/that-dam-towing-test-new-sae-trailering-standards-explained-tech-dept

That's an older article but it seems like the big 3 are slowly getting on board:

http://articles.sae.org/13365/

Some guys would look at the towing numbers at not realize the rating may be only for a 2 door stripped down model with minimal weight, short bed, 2wd, with a max speed of 35 MPH :v: Hopefully SAE J2808 puts an end to that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

I'm up working in Vancouver with all my toys and tools left back in California. I looked into getting a U-haul van to bring some stuff back down from Canada and was quoted around $2000 for a rental.

So I picked up a co-workers C1500 for $700 instead.

1992 C1500 GMC SLE, reasonably good shape, cheap because the windshield was cracked allowing a leak into the interior causing the headliner to sag and the carpet to get musky [the truck sat for over a year]. Radio doesn't work and the clear coat on the hood was pealing off.

Before it was parked it had about $2000 worth of work done, new brakes, new ball joints, new pitman idler arm, etc. Plus before that it looks like the owner upgraded the cooling system using a tow package cooler kit from Performance Radiators in AZ, HVAC was redone and upgraded to R-134a. There's some sort of transgo HD shift kit installed, the 1-2 shifts are pretty... not stock, but otherwise everything runs smoothly.

So mechanically there isn't much to be done with it. Drives fine, wound up fixing much of the small odds and ends with a visit to a pick n' pull, Got a clean headliner out of Chevy truck, which was interesting because the other headliner was plastic backed where the one in my truck was cardboard and foam. 35 gallon tank too, the previous owner thought the fuel gauge was busted because he never saw it go below half.

Interior cleaned up nice, I'll replace the windshield next month, pulled out the old headliner and will put in a new one once I get the new windshield installed.

A few things left to do, I got to swap out the HVAC compressor bearing, and track down a possible EGR valve or vacuum leak.

Truck is a 350 TBI with the 4L60/TH400. Drives smooth but if I'm.. say going up hill at highway speeds at low rpm's, I feel a slight hesitation in the engine, it's always consistent at a certain speed/rpm range. Hope to get that squared away before I drive down to California.

Once I get back, it'll be an awesome truck to pick up parts in, I can put 2 sets of humvee tire/wheel assemblies in the back :D

That being said, I was hoping to get a unmolested 1980's-1990's cummins dodge, fat chance of that, most are basket cases with the stove pipe and issues for way too much money.

Which makes me think of getting a 8.1L/Alison 2500 GMC to tow humvees around with on a flatbed and just use the savings buying gas instead.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

rdb posted:

Nice score for $700. Wish I could find them that rust free around here. I had a 1993 4x4 with the 4.3 v6, one of the best trucks I have owned. It had a bit of an EGR issue when I bought it as well, it turned out some idiot had bypassed the EGR solenoid, so the valve was constantly trying to open. Doubt that's your issue though. What trans is it? 4L60 is a 700R4, TH400 would be a 4L80. I think 1992 was the last year of the non electronic transmissions.

Thats correct, got that mixed up, 700R4, so 4L60 for sure. I'm hunting for a transmission pan with a drain plug so I can change fluid pretty easily in the future.

One thing that threw me was the 5 bolt wheels, since most of the OBS style half tons seem to be 6 bolt wheels unless that was part of a package upgrade. I'd check the factory build codes in the glove box but all the ink faded.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

cursedshitbox posted:

Well if you're gonna pull that card.

Air brakes, tandem drive, non syncro 15 speed, and a GCVWR of 80,000lb.

:perfect:

The one Class A Motorhome that won't blow up into a million pieces of wood and fiberglass in a accident.

Blue bird?

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Called GM Canada for a compliance letter so I can import my C1500 down to the US in april when I move back down to Cali.

Got a call back since the manufacture date is Nov/1991, my 1992 hits the 25 year rule and is exempt from the compliance check. That makes things easier :)

Anyone got suggestions on interiors of these? I pulled a good condition, plastic backed headliner out of a pick n' pull truck.

Going to order new flooring tomorrow, thinking of going with blue Vinyl vs blue carpet.

https://www.accmats.com/

Rock auto canada stocks ACC products, and I'm guessing I"ll have to do a bit of edge trimming with a set of sheers, I'm thinking of the truck is going to be running around Socal as a parts pickup/utility beater truck I'd better off with an easy to clean vinyl floor vs carpet.

Still got to track down the hesitation I'm getting when I'm at speed going slightly uphill at low throttle. Wondering if its a vacuum leak or egr issue. All new plugs and wires on it.

• Locked thread