Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Hindaugh is a treasure.

I'll work on a JGTC Super GT write-up later, especially if new Japanese Autosport has any details.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I watched most of the overnight yesterday because time zone differences and lazy Sundays are a good mix, the midnight GTLM train was loving fantastic. Loved the midnight crew after the 100 BMW wrecked and Hindy was saying "I swear there used to be a tire barrier there between 1/2" and the camera starts bobbing up and down, Rooftop Ray confirming that Hindaugh doesn't have THAT poor a memory! Also the battles for lead in P was great too - I saw the moment when Fittipaldi in the 5 just ran out of tires, and the 2 and 10 went by.

Heroic work by Jordan Taylor too, to come from feeling sick as a dog to a car that was trying to kill it's drivers is impressive.

Good start to big-league racing for the year.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Because we have such a shortage of white, red and black LMP1 factory cars right now.

Porsche better run in red this year.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

H13 posted:

That was a bloody good race.

I'm completely unfamiliar with motorsport. I used to like F1, but now it sucks, I used to like the V8 Supercars which now sucks almost as much as F1, but this was a great race.

Is there a big GT3 league that I should be paying attention to?

GT3 itself is a rules package, so companies build cars and an organizing body or two help balance them out - it's how such different cars as the GT-R and Audi R8 can be competitive and run similar laptimes.

Those above mentioned are series where GT3 is the top class (or only class), and there are others where they'll be a lower-tier class - GTD in IMSA in the US is one such example. GT300 in Japanese SuperGT is another.

GT3 is a really great move and it's become a really interesting and successful formulae.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Dudley posted:

Certainly LeMans is going to be fairly mental. The Corvettes, 911s and Fords from the US meet the Aston Martins, Ferraris and er... Fords from the WEC.

So many good cars, and that's even ignoring that the amateur cars can absolutely fight with them if they gently caress up even a little bit.

LM-spec Am cars are going to be 2015 spec this year but that may still allow them to be dangerous in the 24. But for the sprint races, yeah, forget it.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I for one enjoy the little grenade of snark being thrown by the works Vettes this year - American flag design around the front wheel ducting that also says "Made in the USA". Because the Ford GT is from north of the Maple Curtain, natch.

I also like the "Am = last year's car" rules, but it wasn't that case last year and I don't think much changed. It's a good cost-savings and way to get use from the cars though.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

And then there are some states without emissions at all - college roommate had a new Suburban from Colorado he didn't have to smog check at all. It was weird.

I agree there's largely bigger fish to go after (the biggest of them all are ships, really, those things pollute like crazy) and I'm sure in time this will be clarified. Probably means the end of straight pipes on street cars, or for BETTER things that still remain emissions legal.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

be nice wicka posted:

hey guys

why in the world is toyota's le mans entry called "gazoo racing"

It was a team/branding started with Nurburgring 24 and other more "grassroots" racing, kind of away from an old classic works team. But they've decided they want all of their motorsports (WEC, WRC next year, Nürburgring 24, Super GT, Super Formula, etc) under the one banner, and chose to go with that. I think it's also a pet project of Akio Toyoda who is the current president and has started to re-emphasize motorsports and the "fun to drive" factor.

They changed the name of the WEC team last year but only from this year is it getting the new paint job.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

be nice wicka posted:

so they literally just picked the word "gazoo" because Japan

There ya go

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

VikingSkull posted:

please keep in mind these are both ostensibly VAG cars

...with the exact same engine, and quite possibly the same chassis.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

Geez and the hits keep on coming for the drag racing community - Bob Vandergriff Jr. just announced he is retiring immediately, fired his whole staff and pulled his two top fuel cars from competition. What an incredibly lovely thing to do only a few races into the season (one in which they've had success!).

Terrible couple days for drag racing.

I know there's a lot of real life there to deal with (people losing livelihoods mostly) but that has to have an interesting story behind it.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/AUTOSPORT_web/status/726283350957133826

Autopolis is still closed until May 16th, and have shown more of the damage from the earthquakes. There was supposed to be Super Formula there this weekend, and I believe Super GT has been delayed as well.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Cygni posted:

That's still a better surface than like 99% of tracks in the rest of the world

Was announced this week that the Autopolis Super GT round has been canceled for this year, and a two-heat makeup race has been scheduled for later in the year at Fuji Speedway.

Speaking of which, I need to go sort a boatload of photos from Super GT this week...Fuji Speedway is kind of a pain to get out to, but the facility itself is pretty amazing.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

That Spa 6 hours was absolutely bananas. Such a shame the #5 Toyota went poof late.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Say what you will about IMS, but they at least run events better than COTA does. They know how to do sportscars, and I think if they moved the September double-header up to Indy, it would probably draw better and better. The actual circuit might be better at COTA, but they're proving themselves unable to sell an event. MotoGP ran the 2.6 mile version of the circuit, so it would be a short and fast track compared to a lot of the ones run on the WEC.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Cubey posted:

I'd rather see WEC go to like Road Atlanta or VIR or a track that's actually legitimately good. The Indy road course is still a step up from COTA though so whatever.

We've been through this, but besides Le Mans they won't go to a track that isn't F1/MotoGP grade. I know that the grading isn't purely for safety but instead is also a deposit to their favorite charity (the FIA), but in most cases the grading is a good basic guide to follow. I'm not mad at it. COTA is a shitshow organizer with an okay track in a tough place to host races, while IMS is a worse roval at the American cathedral of speed with a tradition of racing events drawing incredibly well backed by people with money. It's easy math.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Xisticide posted:

It won't, they haven't been using the radio feed at all for a couple of years now and Graham and John are too busy doing that to do the usual dedicated stream comms.

I can't even remember who they had last year but I do remember the small part I heard not being that great

from what I remember (posted by Eve in the MWM collective on Facebook): Le Mans chooses a different set of people to commentate Le Mans. I have zero clue why they do this, but they do. Therefore, while all the 6-hour WEC races have Hindy and Goodwin, the official stream does not for Le Mans - they will be on RLM instead.

Kinda sucks, but at least we now have the option to align streams and cobble together the best coverage. I remember the dark old days when all we had was Speed TV coverage in the U.S. (after the great years where Speedvision had full coverage save the Canadian GP).

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Kilonum posted:

Thankfully this year they are separate weekends

Unfortunately my computer won't be fixed in time for Le Mans :(

the European GP at Baku is set to be the same weekend as Le Mans. that's like 9 days away and I'm not sure that GP will actually happen.

at least we know Le Mans will!

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

wicka posted:

if FOM had to be dicks and schedule a race on the same day as le mans, i'm really glad they picked the one no one cares about

and one most likely to be canceled (because holy jesus that circuit :psyduck: ) buuuut too late for anybody to pull a Hulkenberg and make the Le Mans attempt alongside F1 commitments.

Ah well, at least they're not trying to torpedo the entire championship like Bernie did in the early '90s.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

uwaeve posted:

I think I bought it last year, but refresh my memory: is the official stream purchased through the app (I have one called 24H Le Mans on the phone)? I don't see any purchase option in the app, but it may need to be closer to the weekend, idk.

If you do it on the app, you can only access through the app.

If you buy it on the WEC site, you can also watch live on PC. They finally added the ability to watch afterwards but that's also only on the app as well.

tl;dr sign up on the site and connect to the app.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Xisticide posted:

You can do it the other way and it should work automatically but I had to email them before Spa to get it to detect the purchase on the PC.

not in years past. glad your case worked out this year though.

Also, this article from Marshall Pruett interviewing drivers about the experience of driving some of the monstrous 1,000 hp plus prototypes is a pretty good read. It's worth it just for Mark Blundell's final lines regarding that old Nissan he set a record in.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

VikingSkull posted:

To be fair, it's all a bit clinical in the modern cars. Blundell and those guys did it the hard way, straight up, 1,000 on the ground with lag and all that poo poo. Big balls.

The stuff today is as rated, run through a computer brain's algorithms and fed through a traction control system. On paper they have 1,000hp, in actuality the times that the ECU and related software are actually hitting peak power and putting it down are very small per lap.

From what the modern drivers have said in that article and elsewhere, though, it sounds like the electric motor power still hits like a ton of bricks. And I'm guessing they're doing all that with fewer megajoules of total energy (IC/hybrid combined) than cars like the Nissan R90 or even the late '90s ones.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Bentai posted:

Tempting, Vue has all the channels I want for auto racing and soccer. I just wish there was a Windows/OSX app.

I have heard that a Vue login works just like Comcast/etc for logging into *those* respective streaming apps. Food for thought as well.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

VikingSkull posted:

I'm sure they do hit like a ton of bricks, but it's the same controlled hit lap after lap. Drivers can adjust to it. Mechanical turbo cars were far more influenced by weather conditions and throttle position, plus they didn't have traction control to act as a filter.

Blundell's description of the stuck-wastegate Nissan is fantastic - spinning them up in 4th. Those cars were definitely brutal, turbo lag is definitely a hell of a thing.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Tokyo Sexwhale posted:

Did they even have any IMSA P teams there? If they didn't have any then it's pointless, but yeah I guess if you want to kill off your P2 bracket, that's the way to do it. None of the IMSA teams are going to buy new cars for 1 race if they have no plans of running full time in the WEC.

ESM run in some of the IMSA rounds, Schank came over for this year's Le Mans and rumor had the current DP Visit Florida team visiting this year in advance of running next year. As well, it's a major slap against any of the manufacturers who wanted to run P2s in IMSA and try to jump over to Le Mans with them (Mazda, Cadillac, potentially Bentley or others) because while they could run the same chassis, it wouldn't be with their bodywork or engine.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

91 Porsche 911 just went kablammo in "the most comprehensive way possible"

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Cubey posted:

That was a proper engine failure on the 91 car.

not quite as long a tail of smoke as an LMP1 or F1 car, but a pretty tremendous puff while it lasted, call that a 7/10 on the engine-going-boom scale.

Safety car coming back in this lap.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

GramCracker posted:

What actually went wrong with the Porsche 919 they pulled into the garage and basically completely disassembled? I had to run out for dinner and missed the rest.

Unsure what cost them the first hour-plus, RLM speculated battery issues, but the most recent time in the pits was apparently the water pump.

Also good lord the official feed commentary is loving dire. I'm sticking with RLM.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Cubey posted:

The current WEC team is not great. The other team they have is really good though.

How many Porsches are gonna blow up tonight?

Radio Le Mans are on all the other races so it's fine, but ugh I listened to about 15 minutes and that was plenty.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Love seeing people catch a case of the dawn stupidity at Le Mans. At least Dalla Lana didn't hit the wall this time.

I think Toyota's still in with a shout as they have two cars on the lead lap. Still think we have more LMP1 troubles to come.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

68 Ford finally got through to first in GTE-Pro, the gold driver of the Risi Ferrari crew got reigned in and passed by. And now, looks like the 5 and 2 put another lap on the #6 Toyota.

Razzle Dazzle noooooo

#Edit the #8 Audi looks slow on the Mulsanne too. Audi just completely hosed the dog this year didn't they?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Kamui gon' Kamui

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

looks for the most part like it'll be #5 Toyota vs. #2 Porsche to the end. Toyota currently has an ~1 min lead, and the #6 was pulled into the pits for a short while to collect all of Kamui's gravel ensure there's no bad problems with the car, putting it now 3 laps behind the leaders. It's the reserve, it'll probably become the tortoise, while the #5 likely is their one big shot.

2:30 left. Still a lot to play for.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Basticle posted:

I finnally passed out with sbout 6 hours left, trying to catch up....dosent look like much changed other than the ford passing the ferrari....what happened to the audi its like 14 laps down, it was catching up before

if memory serves, a long time in the pits fixing the brake/wheel hub. both Audis have had those issues throughout, and spent lots of time in the garage.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Oh my god

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Xisticide posted:

It's only happened to them once, Toyota went through this in 1999 too.

1994 too. and bad luck in other races as well.

unreal. absolutely unreal.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

George Zimmer posted:

I'm wondering if Toyota will continue with the program. This might be too cruel.

of course they will. a couple other times they've been incredibly close; this one just happened with 5 minutes on the clock.

They'll be absolutely gutted, heartbroken, and so frustrated once more, but they'll be back. And you have to imagine they've still got a great chance to take the WEC title too, but without scoring points at Le Mans...gonna be tough.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Xisticide posted:

Boost pressure control system failure according to a 2nd hand translation of a Japanese blog. Fits the loss of turbo with no smoke description.

god drat, that's horrible luck to have that fail at that time.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Dudley posted:

To be fair, Bernie was a little unlucky that it all went south at LeMans as the F1s were on their formation lap.

I'm also going to go out on a limb and guess that more of the press could easily get visas for France than for Azerbaijan. But the WEC has been on the way up the last few years, so it's not a massive shock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Norns posted:

Also Baku started right as Le Mans finished.

The only thing bernie did was prevent someone like Hulkenberg getting more coverage than the F1 race...not realizing that was actually advertising as wel...

Old media moguls need to step the gently caress out of the way, or die.

That's a pretty big "only thing," and especially when it seemed like other drivers are/were interested in doing Le Mans alongside a full-time F1 drive. It prevents someone like Hulkenberg from defending his title.

• Locked thread