Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Man, I wanted Ford to win, but not like this. Hope ACO fixes their BoP before Saturday, or all those turbos blow :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

That looks pretty fair to me, should make for a more even and interesting race.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

Xisticide posted:

Keep the P1s, add in GT1s and have 2 classes that can fight for the overall win like in the late 90s and if one implodes due to crazy spending (like in the late 90s) you won't lose the entire top half of the grid in one go.

I like this idea muchly. Porsche 918 all done up for racing vs Mclaren P1 GTR vs Koenigsegg One:1 vs FXX K vs some sort of Chiron racer vs Huayra R would be amazing (and probably sadly too fast for most racetracks to handle safely)

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

drgitlin posted:

The current P1 hybrids have more horsepower, more downforce, and weigh less than any of those cars. (Obviously the Chiron has more power but more than double the mass.)

We are in a true golden age for endurance racing right now.

Closer than you might think in power, definitely way off in weight

FXX-K 1086 bhp
P1 GTR 986bhp
One:1 1341hp (1MW)

919 "approx 900 hp"
TS050 986hp
R18 "in excess of 1000"

If you put those cars on a crash diet (of course they still wouldnt be as light as the P1s), gave them more power and upped their aero chops, I think you could find reasonable challengers to the P1 cars in a delimited GT field. But like we've said you'd probably start reaching straight-line speeds that the FIA doesn't want to see for safety reasons and they'd shut it down, or one company would dominate and everyone else would take their ball and go home.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Man, it's 5am on a Saturday and I woke up to watch people drive cars in a big circle in France.

I have lost control of my life.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

GramCracker posted:

Same here. I think that $15 I spent on the WEC streaming package for the 2016 race was 1,000,000% worth it and the best $15 I've spent in a LONG time. It's honestly got me highly considering the season package.

I bought the season pass and I can confirm that it is totally worth it for all the 6hr races.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

Riso posted:

Blancpain GT from Paul Ricard as well https://www.youtube.com/user/gt1world

Note that the main race doesn't stream in the US for some annoying reason. US folks will need a VPN to watch.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Poor Delta wing, still having issues :(

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
:rip: pipo

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
:rip: 55 Mazda and that amazing livery

E: lol the Mazda ad comes on right after the Mazda blows it's engine

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
What a disastrous pit stop for the 55, it was showing such good pace, too.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

CactusWeasle posted:

aaaand there's the 55 dead on track

:rip:

I missed it, do we know what happened yet?

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Lime Rock this weekend, stoked for the CTSCC race, i love me some GT4

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
So will the current Daytona Prototypes like the Corvette DP keep running? Same q but with the deltawing?

I know the DP's are getting pretty long in the tooth

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Wtb McLaren p1 gtr longtail

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
IMSA GT cars (no prototypes) and MX5 cup at VIR all this weekend too.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Man, the risi Ferrari got screwed out of a good finish again

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Gotta love Hindy

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Same thing that knocked out Brendon Hartley at Silverstone.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Wow, that means Misha Goihkberg has moved up 3 classes in as many years. He was running in prototype lites in 2015, moved up to PC this year.

He hasn't done the best in PC this year, was a bit sloppy but he has potential to do great things.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
I was hoping they'd homologate the M6 GTLM. Seemed odd to me that they had IT for IMSA but not for FIA/ACO.

E: now to wish and pray for a Mercedes AMG and McLaren GTE program

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
In the quali session, Hindy mentioned that the DeltaWing has been given a stay of execution, and will be allowed to participate in the 2017 Rolex24 at Daytona :neckbeard:

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Remember when Pew and Krohn came together at Le Mans?

https://cdn-w1.streamable.com/video/mp4/w0vy.mp4?token=1476551676_3f29c3a44522403412f64d20ba0e0a7629af99f5

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
MAZDA NOOO

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

Can you rehost this? Facebook be blocked, yo.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Probably also related to VAG's pulling out (heh) of lots of motorsport to focus on ones that will improve their green image.

e:

vvv yeah that too

MazeOfTzeentch fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Oct 31, 2016

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
More juicy IMSA DPi rumors:
Penske mulling a return to IMSA in an Oreca-Honda DPi

https://www.racer.com/imsa/item/136056-imsa-penske-closing-in-on-sportscar-return

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
4 litres, iirc.

The Nissan in the P3 cars is larger.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

BMB5150 posted:

So someone uploaded the 2000 Rolex 24. God how much attrition this race used to have and also :lol: at Dyson with the slowest blow up of an engine ever. 7 am, running on 7 and a half cylinders then slowly down to 6 with the Vipers and Corvette chasing them down.

Oh my god the pre-start grid walk with tiny ricky and jordan taylor :3:

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
IMSA Twitter is the biggest cock tease.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
DPi reveal day :f5:

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
The 911 GT3-R is unchanged, the RSR never had the :D face, and is the one getting the new diffuser, engine placement (rumored) and turbos (rumored)

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
that's a pretty prototype

e with some content:

http://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/mazda-unveils-rt24-p-dpi-car/

MazeOfTzeentch fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Nov 16, 2016

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

MrChips posted:

That's a pretty nice looking Cayman.

:perfect:

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
My predictions for 2017 WEC results:

LMP1-H: Toyota (let me have this one dream)
LMP1-L: no one, Bykolles will not finish enough and the ACO will decide that they are not deserving of a title, unless it's for being on fire.
LMP2: Rebellion will win again just to spite Bykolles
GTE Pro: Porsche will have their revenge on the BoP overlords and demolish Ford and Ferrari
GTE Am: The hilarious afro-pick diffuser Astons will reign supreme with no natural Ford predators.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

BMB5150 posted:

Only thing they'd have to do is take the AMG GT3 engine, drop it in an LMP2 so make new mounts, new bodywork, and they're off and racing for a fraction of the cost and they get all that kind of attention.

DPi I think is the best deal for marketing payoff in motorsport, at least from a NASCAR hating american like myself

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Anyone want to buy a Mazda LMP2 so you too can be SKYACTIV?*

*SKYACTIV not included.

Racer.com says they're asking $200,000-250,000 each, sans engine.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Well, given Mazda's engine reliability, you'll not show up to the second round :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

Dudley posted:

Yeah, I'd imagine you could pick up something faster, cheaper.

Like a Corvette DP? :can:

:v:

• Locked thread