Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

Welcome to the Miscellaneous Auto Racing Megathread of 2016. This is the place to discuss racing that isn’t NASCAR, F1, or Indycar. Mainly it’s been WeatherTech Championship Series or the World Endurance Championship or British Touring Car Championship. Other stuff is welcome like all the GT3 championships in the world (Pirelli World Challenge, Blancpain, regional GT3 championships), WTCC, Formula E, what have you.

Racing Series’

This is the premier that all of the manufactures want to compete in and win. This is the 4th year under the FIA this championship is running with . New race this year is in Mexico City which doesn't help the struggling COTA circuit on top of F1 going to Mexico as well. Classes include LMP1, LMP2, GTE-Pro, GTE-Am. In LMP1, last year Porsche and Audi started out dominant but after Le Mans and a big penalty they got, Audi became 2nd fiddle to Porsche while Toyota went from the top straight to the bottom this year but have a chance to get back up after VW Dieselgate which have hurt both Audi's and Porsche's racing funds. Nissan looked to a be a wild new concept, was probably shown to upper brass of Nissan then was thrown into the trash. LMP2 has seen a drop down in the amount since it’s much cheaper and easier on the teams to run the ELMS. But Le Mans is when you get a big swarm of them and actually is decent to watch. I and many others question the new regs for next year where it'll be spec engine and 4 chassis. GTE=Pro and Am is business as usual with many teams and a couple manufactures having their big dogs running for the championship and many fans crying Corvette isn’t running full time.

Schedule

25/26 March: The Prologue, Circuit Paul Ricard, France

17 April: 6 Hours of Silverstone, GBR

07 May: WEC 6 Hours of Spa, BEL

05 June: 24 Hours of Le Mans Test Day

18/19 June: 24 Hours of Le Mans, FRA

24 July: 6 Hours of Nürburgring, DEU

04 September: 6 Hours of Mexico City

17 September: 6 Hours of Circuit of the Americas (Lone Star Le Mans), USA

16 October: 6 Hours of Fuji, JPN

06 November: 6 Hours of Shanghai, CHN

19 November: 6 Hours of Bahrain, BAH

The European Le Mans Series has seemed to make a recovery from being on its deathbed to being a respectable series. Helps having a super strong LMP2 count since it’s the cheaper alternative for teams to run this series and Le Mans rather than go everywhere with the WEC. With the driver ranking system allowing a silver or bronze driver in the car, it makes guys who have wads of cash from their totally respectable, not breaking any laws whatsoever businesses and race fast cars. Also GTE Pro which are the GTE cars and GTE Am cars which are the GT3 cars. .

Schedule
March 29-30 — Prologue (Paul Ricard)
April 15-16 — Silverstone
May 13-15 — Imola
July 15-17 — Red Bull Ring
Aug. 26-28 — Paul Ricard
Sept. 23-25 — Spa-Francorchamps
October 21-23 — Estoril

The 3rd Season of WTSC, IMSA, whatever you want to call it. Lots of controversy, bitching, complaining, trolling by Jordan Taylor, and what not kept us pretty focused on what this season will bring us... again. Last year the Daytona Prototypes, to be specific the Corvette DP, dominated all of last year again. P2 teams are still looking for the breaks so they can be a little more competitive to the DPs and looking at Mike Shank’s team, looks like they’re doing better again, though the Mazda could prove to be competitive with a gas racing engine and Honda getting a .5L jump. This will be the final year of Daytona Prototypes before they transfer to the Daytona Prototype Int'l regs which are using the 2017 LMP2 chassis' but manufactures can make their own bodywork on the car and their own engine, most significantly GT3 engines. LMPC cars are dwindling and good reason since they were complete dumbasses on level with Ferrari albeit Core Autosport kicked everyone's rear end again. GTLM continues on with the strongest manufacture presence in it’s class with Ford jumping in with the help of stalwart sportscar team Chip Ganassi. GTD has switched to full on GT3 this year but the manufacture's have to pay a fee for their car to qualify. Porsche, Audi, Lamborghini, Dodge, Ferrari, Aston Martin, and BMW.

Schedule
Jan. 30-31 Rolex 24 At Daytona (All) Daytona International Speedway – Daytona Beach, Florida
March 19 Mobil 1 Twelve Hours of Sebring Fueled by Fresh From Florida (All) Sebring International Raceway – Sebring, Florida
April 16 Tequila Patrón Sports Car Showcase at Long Beach (P, PC, GTLM) Long Beach Street Circuit – Long Beach, California
May 1 Continental Tire Monterey Grand Prix (All) Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca – Monterey, California
June 4 Chevrolet Detroit Belle Isle Grand Prix (P, PC, GTD) Belle Isle Park – Detroit, Michigan
July 3 Sahlen’s Six Hours of The Glen (All) Watkins Glen International – Watkins Glen, New York
July 10 Mobil 1 SportsCar Grand Prix presented by Hawk Performance (All) Canadian Tire Motorsport Park – Bowmanville, Ontario, Canada
July 23 Northeast Grand Prix (PC, GTLM, GTD) Lime Rock Park – Lakeville, Connecticut
Aug. 7 Continental Tire Road Race Showcase (All) Road America – Elkhart Lake, Wisconsin
Aug. 21 Oak Tree Grand Prix (GTLM, GTD) VIRginia International Raceway – Alton, Virginia
Sept. 17 Lone Star Le Mans (All) Circuit of The Americas – Austin, Texas
Oct. 1 Petit Le Mans powered by Mazda (All) Road Atlanta – Braselton, Georgia

I'm going to do the rest of this in due time... I promise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

Reserved for other stuff.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

track day bro! posted:

I know the deltawang is a special class type thing, but I thought that prototypes were meant to have covered wheels?

Well current lmp rules need to have openings on the fenders.

Oh welp

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

KingShibby posted:

#28 GTD car just finished serving a 4-5 min penalty for pulling away from the pit box with the fuel probe still engaged. #28 was in the GTD lead before penalty, now like 9th.

Driver also stalled car upon release from penalty box, got some good laughs from the peanut gallery here on pit lane

Fox said it was because he passed the pace car to get a lap ahead where he was supposed to be so one lap to get back the lap he took and a lap penalty on that.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

Well change 54 is up in smoke so looks like they're done.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

geonetix posted:

Class leading really is cursed it seems: 2 was 6th when I checked this morning, imagine my surprise when I checked in later.. I'm super bummed out i'm missing the last three hours due to a flight :( Hope there's a recording available somewhere

IMSA is good about posting races soon after the race itself.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

Xisticide posted:

GTLM finish:

It's funny that this is one of the few finish photos where teammates were together but not staged at a slower speed.

Oh cool quotes eliminate spoilers.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

keevo posted:

Were they Ferraris?

Prototype challenge

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

drgitlin posted:

Thanks. A lesson not to write posts at 5 am. Will fix it but probably not until I'm home tomorrow.

Well to be honest even someone with a full night of sleep and looking far away and trying to tell which one is which is a pain in the rear end.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

Ziploc posted:

Part of me thinks that there could be lasting affects from this. But I doubt they'd ever tell the public that.

Hopefully not like what happened to Mast. Good news is hr had a long career and was winding it up but lovely if this will have lasting effects.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

I do remember Peter Kox ramming a kangaroo 2 years ago within the first hour. He wasn't too happy about that.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

Kilonum posted:

nm, I can use it with my TV using the NISMO stream on Youtube + xbox youtube app

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHCqM5k48O8

I got a 4k smart TV so has its own youtube app. :smug: I"m actually getting better picture than anything from cable.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

So I just became the stoned instructor of endurance racing at a party. I feel accomplished. Also this racing is good.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

Good poo poo. Probably only bright spot for McLaren unless Honda gets it poo poo together. Chiyo sure as poo poo tried.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

Some of it sounds like this is going after rolling coal asswipes which they deserve a meteor right on them. Bits and pieces of this regulation seem contradictory of itself and overly complicated that it could use refining to give a clearer idea of what the intention is.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

So you remember when Lamborghini were kicking the ever loving poo poo against everyone in the gtd class. Well they all had unapproved parts in the air intake and all have 25k fines and point penalties.

Oh and that's another hit on the now dissolved O'Gara team that just dissolved leaving Sweedler and Townsend Bell without a ride now.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

drgitlin posted:

The Audi people I spoke to after the race were adamant that the Hurácans were cheating and I was told (with a bit of a smile) that IMSA was impounding cars to check their engines. Looks like they were right.

Apparently it's using an air intake that much earlier IMSA deemed illegal on the Audis, so yeah they knew.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

Sebring has started, and it's probably going to rain quite a bit.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

Man Derani is a beast. His time with esm will be over soon and picked up by a manufacture

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

If you're in the US you will be geoblocked but hey youtube has got ya covered.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ch9S5mo2sPY

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

1500quidporsche posted:

That Audi almost looks like an open wheel car at this point.

Pretty much its a 2 seat F1 car with fenders. All going for that high nose that F1 had years ago before Schumacher almost got brained by a Force India. Seems like Toyota still has some work to do, Porsche is still the strongest, and Audi still somehow winning races.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

1500quidporsche posted:

Didn't something like this happen to them just a year or two ago or am I thinking of something else?

Yet another diesel VAG car caught cheating.

Think that was at Le Mans and they got the hammer dropped on them.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

Minto Took posted:

Those lines by Kogay were loving awful. I knew he was bad, but drat.

Bad lines, braking way early and slowly leading to him not even fighting the wheel barely. I could probably get in his car and lap better than him. Happy that, that Ferrari team that had him 2 years ago ditched him and went to an all pro lineup in Blancpain and fighting for wins.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

Oh speaking of Ford, lot of people are super pissed after yesterday of the BoP for Ford and Chevy. Chevy was quickest .2 sec or so and got hit with an air restrictor decrease and while Ford got a 25 kilo weight drop so now Ford as of last night was 1, 2, 4, 5 while Corvette is dead last 3 sec. behind with Ferrari magically gaining 3 - 5 sec from testing... 2 weeks ago. Already conspiracy theories of forcing a Ford vs Ferrari battle 50 years after Ford's win.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

Yep ACO couldn't have the GTLM class like that unless you want to burn a few more bridges with GM and piss a lot of people off. I'd have to say it's the BoP is better though Ford and Ferrari should've been smarter to not show their cards in practice and qualifying.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

I crashed right when poo poo hit the fan apparently. Everything was clean with very problems until many cars crashed or had problems. I was rooting Audi but goddamn that's just punching you in the nuts for 24 hours. Most similar thing was probably Tony Stewart, Dale Earnhardt Jr, and Andy Wallace's run in the 2004 Rolex 24 where the whole rear end broke off with 16 mins to go.

And since we haven't talked that much about GTLM, at this rate the whole class will be under a protest or 2.
http://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/multiple-protests-in-wake-of-gte-pro-finish-at-le-mans/

I'm not a conspiracy theorist but that class was handled pretty poorly this year.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

And so far both 1st place Ford and 2nd place Ferrari got penalized for different things but still the 7% rule protest thing is up in the air. Ah good old shitstorm of politics being combined with BoP.

E: and both didn't lose a spot with those penalties.

BMB5150 fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jun 19, 2016

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

WindyMan posted:

Goodwood Festival of Speed is streaming this weekend. Nice.

https://www.goodwood.com/flagship-events/festival-of-speed/

Looked on my Facebook feed and they had a funny car do a partial run. That was badass and surreal.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

drgitlin posted:

I can report that Ford Ganassi US and Risi Ferrari have buried the hatchet and are friends here at Watkins Glen. Which is good because they are right opposite each other in the paddock!

Corvette Racing did not want to talk about Le Mans. They obviously wouldn't say anything official about a mid-engined C8 but I think reading between lines I think there's a chance it might finally happen.

Weather is a thousand times better than last year.

Yeah it was pretty clear a few years back C8 was leaked. Didn't they say they'd have the C7 and C8 live together? Also I'd bet the mid-engine change was heavily influenced from Pratt and Miller.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

Guys!

https://www.gofundme.com/2j3n55t8

This needs to happen.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

I heard that Nissan was looking at thing or if they also canned development like Bentley and Mercedes have.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

Cygni posted:

ESM coming back to IMSA with a 2-car Ligier/Nissan DPi team. Apparently they WILL run custom DPi bodywork, too. Dunno if that means Nissan will just badge the ACO spec Gibson engine (like they have been doing for years already), or if it will be a separate DPi specific engine.

http://www.racer.com/imsa/item/134562-imsa-tequila-patron-esm-announces-2017-return

At this point, it looks like the Proto field will be significantly better than it was looking a few months ago.

Taylor - Dallara/Cadillac
AXE - Dallara/Cadillac?
AXE - Dallara/Cadillac?
Spirit - Dallara/Cadillac?
SpeedSource - Riley/Mazda
SpeedSource - Riley/Mazda
ESM - Ligier/Nissan
ESM - Ligier/Nissan
ViperExchange - Riley/Gibson
Starworks - Riley/Gibson
PR1 - ?/Gibson

Ligier/Honda (2018)

The Gibson is unbadged at the moment so Nissan is doing their own engine and bodywork which funny enough were more of a rumor and further behind then both Cadillac/Dallara and Mazda/Riley. As for potential teams, change SDR to a Mazda/Riley while other teams are looking at the Riley chassis and Gibson engine, specifically the current PC teams since it's getting fazed out. Only other manufacture left is Oreca who is getting a European team to do the 24 but hints of a major American team, Team Penske, could get an Oreca and give it a go.

Bentley still seems interested while Honda is going for 2018 especially with MSR going to GTD.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

harperdc posted:

The Ford is a full factory effort, but the Ferrari is a good example. Every GTE car has a works team either in IMSA or the WEC, they must be deciding not to join those at this time.

I think AF Corse (maybe under SMP now cause rich Russians) are practically the factory arm for Ferrari where Ferrari themselves can work on the F1 team.

As for BMW that M6 is gt3 homologated and IMSA has given clearance for both GTLM M6 and Z4 to compete while ACO forbids those cars so it's going to be a new car of some sort.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

drgitlin posted:

Same size as 570S more or less. But it's got a 1.5L 3 cylinder engine. There's no way to make that competitive in GTE. An M4 or M6 is most likely.

Well considering what Ford did, I wouldn't be surprised if they build something from scratch then made a car from it. At this point Porsche and Corvette rumored to be going mid-engine, I don't know if BMW would want to be left behind in a front engined car.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

Ben Keating of the Viper team heavily implied his plans next year by saying he will race what he sells. Keating owns a Mercedes dealership. So mark down that team to probably going to get a Mercedes. In said place I found the rumor, he's getting an lmp2 car which someone implied about Mercedes showing an interest in getting into DPi next year.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

Cygni posted:

yo i dont wanna rock the boat but this john pew fellow? seems bad. bad at the racecar driving.

I actually had Ryan Eversley defend him for keeping MSR going and nice guy, but he sucks in these lmp2 cars and MSR might be a force next year in GTD just because Pew is taking a sabbatical.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

harperdc posted:

Oh, this rumor is back. I want this to be true :unsmith: cmon MBUSA, sign off on the drat thing.

Considering the posts here too I can imagine some kind of i8 becomes the BMW GTE car. Too many advantages to MR vs an M4/6.

The GTD/3 part seems solid. P2 part was is just theory crafting but hey I'm down for more manufactures.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

Nice that the stream lasted until the last hour then poo poo the bed.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

The lmp2 Dallara was spotted.
http://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/dallara-lmp2-breaks-cover/

Also Lucas Luhr was arrested yesterday for public indecency. Was drunk as hell after the imsa banquet and pissed at a gas station pump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

Rumor has it end of next year Audi is withdrawing from LMP1. Cost cutting measure still from the dieselgate saga. Haven't got anything firm but that's gonna be a punch in the gut for LMP1.

• Locked thread