Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Good job trying to drive round with that punctured tire flailing the bodywork to avoid wasting time with a recovery. :thumbsup:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

That Audi almost looks like an open wheel car at this point.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Didn't something like this happen to them just a year or two ago or am I thinking of something else?

Yet another diesel VAG car caught cheating.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Understandable with LeMans right around the corner.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Kilonum posted:

Ugh, WEC app keeps dropping the video to my Chromecast every 5 minutes. Hopefully it doesn't do this poo poo during the race itself.

Edit: by the way Q2 happening now, possible rain in ~15 minutes.

From experience I'm inclined to blame Chromecast. Google had a novel idea but Jesus Christ I've never had a smooth good user experience with that thing.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

It's pretty much been an open secret that Ford and Ferrari were sandbagging to get favorable BoP for LeMans, I don't know how Chevy was suprised by that.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

And suspension as well, but I'm pretty sure if you were to look at the advancement in sophistication and importance over the past twenty years it would be overwhelmingly slanted towards aero.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I believe they said it was the water pump

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Basticle posted:

wait did they just penalize the ferrari, loving them out of a 2nd place finish?

Yeah it's pretty bullshit, considering one of the Toyotas is missing a quarter of a car but that car gets meatballed over leader lights.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Noooooooooooo

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

ch3cooh posted:

And now loving Audi gets a podium

gently caress everything

To be fair if I was in that Toyota I wouldn't want to be near the podium.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Goetta posted:

Has there been any stated reason why they have the scheduling overlap outside of pure F1 ego? I seriously doubt this is literally the only weekend a dictatorship could close its streets for instance.

There was some mutterings that it was done on the back of Canada to prevent any human rights stories from building similar to what happened with Bahrain a few years ago.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

The Aston rear diffusers are getting a little ridiculous.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

http://www.motorsport.com/wec/news/rebellion-to-make-lmp2-switch-in-2017-835475/

Pretty much the death knell for non-manufacturer LMP1. Wouldn't be suprised if they just eliminate the class after 2017.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

LMP1 is technically a seperate class from LMP1H is it not?

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

There's all of two manufacturers in Indycar, I'm pretty sure if they were at all interested in V8s or it would get another manufacturer in they'd find a way to make that happen.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

NASCAR is hardly the peak of road relevant racing, weren't they still using carbs like five years ago?

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Bring back two strokes.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

BMB5150 posted:

Rumor has it end of next year Audi is withdrawing from LMP1. Cost cutting measure still from the dieselgate saga. Haven't got anything firm but that's gonna be a punch in the gut for LMP1.

I think that company is in alot more financial trouble than they're letting on, it was really a matter of time until one of the LMP1 programs was axed.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

gret posted:

Isn't VAG a publicly traded company? If so, it's kinda impossible to hide their financial health.

They've got alot of diesel tech that's worthless and the main platform underpinning the majority of their volume sellers is generally acknowledged to be way too expensive for the category it's selling in. That kind of stuff doesn't really show up on financial statements, and they need to be putting alot of cash into R&D right now. The rumors about the golf hybrid being some convoluted belt driven starter/generator with an electric supercharger driven off a regular car battery doesn't really inspire confidence.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I really just wish it would die already. Its not going to get better without a major rewrite of the rules.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Pablo Bluth posted:

WRC died when they went from idiosyncratic events of endurance with character to easily digestible homogeneous events designed to placate the Television Gods.

Yup. It's stupid that WEC can sell a long endurance format fairly successfully but WRC just bitches and moans about how the stages need to be 30 seconds long and the team gets cranky if they're not in bed by 8pm.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Riso posted:

Speaking about Dieselgate, there's some fun stuff happening in Germany because a VW paid expertise came to the conclusion ALL diesel cars sold in Germany that cheated are breaking the law and not road legal.

Didn't it even go even further and VW said they'd pay to retest all their cars but only if the government agreed to retest all other cars in the market?

Everything I read about the company is completely hosed and at this point I wouldnt be shocked if Porsche is gone from WEC next year as well. The infighting between the Porsche/Piech families has just created a power vacuum on the board that the unions have filled and they've (correctly) said that this whole dieselgate thing is a management/engineering problem and they're the ones that need to fall on the sword. So now they've basically culled or put out to pasture all their experienced engineers and have a corporate mandate to completely change direction as a company. Oh and I keep hearing rumours that Ferdinand Piech is still pulling strings here and there amidst all the chaos.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

julian assflange posted:

Congratulations Toyota 2017 WRC champions

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Bentai posted:

Time to make Rally America the new top tier worldwide rally series.

It's in just as much trouble and there's currently a breakaway series because the competitors got fed up with it.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

George Zimmer posted:

The 2017 cars are supposedly gonna be like Group B's with more downforce (which is bad)

Isn't it like just 30 more horsepower? And they're still locked into the stupid borderline homologated drivetrain.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Im going to be crucified for this but they should ban AWD in WRC and force manufacturers to bring production models to the table. If you tell GM they just need to make a run of 1,000 Chevy whatever-the-gently caress-rebadged-daewoo with a hot engine bolted in and they can be running in WRC I can't see them turning that down.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Alain Post posted:

Turbo AWD cars are allowed if you make a thousand turbo AWD models. Per year.

Nobody wants to make them though, Xtrac has supplied most the championship winning teams I think. It really is a farce, there's no road relevance when Citroen just goes to Xtrac and buys an AWD drivetrain to stick in their bubble car shells.

If you want homologation back I'm convinced you have to ban AWD, nobody is going to buy into the concept unless you do that. Instead of these stupid bespoke bubble car platforms you just get them to rummage through the parts bin, sell a thousand or so cars and you're ready to race. Everybody will save money and you'd get more manufacturers willing to jump into the sport.

F1DriverQuidenBerg fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Nov 1, 2016

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

wicka posted:

i have a formula E question: who's actually building these motors? i find it extremely hard to believe that teams like andretti and penske are actually designing and building bespoke electric powertrains from the ground up.

Supposedly they design it themselves but I'd be shocked if they aren't just grabbing off the shelf components or getting some Chinese factory to pump out the motors.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Ya that's the frustrating part of Formula E, there's no real depth of knowledge about it yet despite it having amazing potential and it veers towards gimmicks a little too often.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

You can't kill something that's been dead for well over a decade now.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I'm actually more interested in IMSA than WEC for 2017 right now.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I loved the GT1 cars but the reality is that you're just going to end up back at LMP1 cars once cost savings come in.

I don't see a realistic path back to homologation at the top level with the current environment in the auto sector.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I would be dead loving last but I wish I found out about this before the deadline as I'd find a way to make it happen.

http://www.cikfia.com/newsroom/view/article/financial-support-for-the-2016-macau-competition.html

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

If I knew it was John Watson commentating I would've made more of an effort to watch

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I'm looking forward to the gravel causing the cars to shed winglets each stage until the cars have basically no down force by the end of the rally because the teams have run out of parts.

Edit: Seriously though, the cars just look silly for next year in a good way.

F1DriverQuidenBerg fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Dec 15, 2016

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Cygni posted:

Spoiler alert: Dallara, as they are wont to do, has decided that regular front suspensions are out of vogue and went with a bizarre torsion bar setup.

I knew it was only a matter of time until Formula Vee came back in vogue.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

njsykora posted:

Misc Auto Racing 2017 - Hot DP Action

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I've long thought the time was right for Group B type rules for kei cars. There's enough already weird cars in that segment to suggest that manufacturers might be willing to go for a huge arm race based off a 660cc tiny car class.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

harperdc posted:

uh, no. because the safety would be sub-Group B levels as well.

The complete and utter disregard for safety was a huge part of the appeal of group B

• Locked thread