Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
King Shibby: if you fancy stopping by for a beer or something to eat, we have an RV with an amazing roof deck, #39 in the yellow campground. Overlooks nascar 1 and the infield horseshoe (great spot to shoot from too).

I'll have a gallery going up at Ars later today, and a piece about CJ Wilson racing early next week. Will link them in this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
Here's our view: https://flic.kr/p/DuXu2j (can't seem to get the real url on my phone).

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
Snatch tractor is pulling him out of the tires right in front of us.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
Some photos from this weekend: http://arstechnica.com/cars/2016/01/starting-the-racing-year-right-at-the-rolex-24/

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

Dudley posted:

There's a picture of miscaptioned as being the Ford GT but is actually the SMP Racing Ferrari there.

It's the one before the pic of the timing tower.

Thanks. A lesson not to write posts at 5 am. Will fix it but probably not until I'm home tomorrow.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

Tokyo Sexwhale posted:

Unfortunately, it's going to be impossible to have a civilized discussion of the actual intent of what they're trying to clarify, because it is a hot-button nexus/honeypot of ARE FREEDUMBS, BAH GUBBERMINT, MAH RAIGHTS, and EEEEEPEEEEAAAAAA/FEMA DEATH CAMPS that all feed into each other like a human centipede of hyperbolic reaction and kneejerk bullshit. These groups also tend to have large diesel trucks where they've intentionally disabled the emissions controls on them.

Yep, I have tried telling people to calm down but if they have even the slightest "gently caress the government/democrats/obummer" tendencies it's a losing battle.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
The Audi people I spoke to after the race were adamant that the Hurácans were cheating and I was told (with a bit of a smile) that IMSA was impounding cars to check their engines. Looks like they were right.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

VikingSkull posted:

please keep in mind these are both ostensibly VAG cars

I am quite aware of that. The engines are all built in Hungary. However if you think there's any love lost between the, on track you're misinformed.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
Put together a WEC preseason post for Ars since the LMP1s have all been unveiled now: http://arstechnica.com/cars/2016/03/2016s-wec-hybrids-this-years-coolest-racing-cars-take-to-the-track/

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

That's not good.

Did she and Andy Wallace divorce? I am positive they were married but the article says her husband is called Russ.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
This morning I got invited to go to Le Mans with one of the factory teams and I had to say no :(

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

VikingSkull posted:

To be fair, it's all a bit clinical in the modern cars. Blundell and those guys did it the hard way, straight up, 1,000 on the ground with lag and all that poo poo. Big balls.

The stuff today is as rated, run through a computer brain's algorithms and fed through a traction control system. On paper they have 1,000hp, in actuality the times that the ECU and related software are actually hitting peak power and putting it down are very small per lap.

Trust me, having seen the 919 Hybrids launch out of the final corner at COTA and rocket up to turn 1, you're wrong.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

Cygni posted:

Current P1s have tons of launch power, but also tons of grip and electronic help. In early Group C/GTP, you're talking similar power levels but no traction control, no electronic dif, no anti lag, basically no engine drivability to speak of, H-pattern boxes, 2 wheel drive, vastly more primitive shocks, floaty tire compounds, etc.

Some of those onboards of the era are straight scary.

Particularly since they had to take a hand off the wheel frequently to change gear!

The current cars have a lot more downforce even in Le Mans spec though, compared to Group C etc.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

freeranger posted:

Are we likely to get rain during the race or is it going to clear up?

I always love the races where we get rain during it.

Yes, it's extremely likely to rain during the race.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

VikingSkull posted:

I mean, I get that, but they have 70 loving classes

make a GTX class, I dunno, but it's bullshit that a team can work their asses off only to be told to put weights in their pockets

Um, we tried that once. It turns into a manufacturer arms race and you end up with two Corvette GT1s racing each other. No thanks.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

I like this idea muchly. Porsche 918 all done up for racing vs Mclaren P1 GTR vs Koenigsegg One:1 vs FXX K vs some sort of Chiron racer vs Huayra R would be amazing (and probably sadly too fast for most racetracks to handle safely)

The current P1 hybrids have more horsepower, more downforce, and weigh less than any of those cars. (Obviously the Chiron has more power but more than double the mass.)

We are in a true golden age for endurance racing right now.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

go3 posted:

yeah i really dont think yall understand just how loving quick these things are through the corners now. Theyre not breaking lap records because theyre pushing trap speeds to the limit, theyre coming out of the loving corners 20mph faster than 20 years ago

Indeed. And that's not just downforce; tire technology has come a LOOOOOONG way in the past couple of decades.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

GramCracker posted:

I'm genuinely surprised the Toyota's are hanging with Porsche and Audi this year

Why? Have you not been watching the WEC this year?

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

GramCracker posted:

Because, as Goetta noted, they have been pretty face off pace in

GramCracker posted:

Because, as Goetta noted, they have been pretty face off pace in the past.

Unfortunately no, not as consistently as I did last year :smith:

The TS040 was faster than anything else in 2014, it's just last year that Porsche and Audi stole a march on them. And it's worth noting the 2015 TS040 was still 2 seconds a lap faster than the previous year, but the other two found about 6 seconds over that winter.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
Hello from Pikes Peak! I am at this year's Hillclimb, covering it for Ars Technica and wanted to see if anyone has any questions they want me to ask or cars/teams/drivers they'd like me to talk to etc while I'm here?

Monster Tajima's team and Giti Tires asked me to embed with them for their attempt at the outright victory, but the paddock is even friendlier than your average WEC or IMSA event and people seem happy to chat.

Quite a few interesting EV entries this year. In addition to Tajima-san there's Rhys Millen and his Hankook entry, Acura are here with a basically stock NSX, a pretty heavily modified NSX, and a silhouette car that looks like an NSX but has four motors and torque vectoring (as does Tajima-san, courtesy of Rimac). There's also a Tesla Model S in the production EV class.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
No, there's no streaming I'm afraid. I think that would require someone to stump up quite a bit of cash to make that happen. Red Bull made the investment when they ran the 208, but no one else is spending that kind of money.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
First Pikes Peak post is up: http://arstechnica.com/cars/2016/06/electric-vehicles-at-altitude-pikes-peak-qualifying-day/

Romain Dumas looked rather jet-lagged and sleep deprived when I spoke to him yesterday but he still set fastest time in the Unlimiteds. And yes there are plenty of people still crochety about it being paved now.

njsykora posted:

It's a really good rally game.

It's a really good game, and there's a great Pikes Peak in it!

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/03/dirt-rally-review-one-of-the-best-driving-games-weve-ever-played/

drgitlin fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jun 24, 2016

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
Pikes Peak posts!

Bikes!
http://arstechnica.com/cars/2016/06/even-more-dangerous-on-two-wheels-pikes-peak-and-the-motorbikes/

Cars!
http://arstechnica.com/cars/2016/06/electric-vehicles-at-the-pikes-peak-international-hill-climb-race-report/

Tajima-san!
http://arstechnica.com/cars/2016/06/racing-with-royalty-behind-the-scenes-with-pikes-peaks-king-of-the-mountain/

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
I can report that Ford Ganassi US and Risi Ferrari have buried the hatchet and are friends here at Watkins Glen. Which is good because they are right opposite each other in the paddock!

Corvette Racing did not want to talk about Le Mans. They obviously wouldn't say anything official about a mid-engined C8 but I think reading between lines I think there's a chance it might finally happen.

Weather is a thousand times better than last year.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
Anyone know what time EDT the Sugo Super GT race is on? RLM are doing English commentary for it.

Also don't forget it's the next round of the WEC on Sunday too.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
The Super GT race starts at midnight ET tonight.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
One of the Porsches reported oil on track at that corner shortly before Gavin went off.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
Photos from IMSA @ COTA: http://arstechnica.com/cars/2016/09/the-2016-weathertech-lone-star-le-mans-in-pictures/

WEC piece will go up later today.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
My piece on the hybrids at COTA wasn't meant to be this long but here's 3,000 words about them anyway: http://arstechnica.com/cars/2016/09/getting-to-know-the-1000hp-hybrids-of-the-world-endurance-championship/

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

harperdc posted:

the M6 is already homologated as a GT3, it's up-scaled to run as GTLM only in the US just like the Z4 before it. That should indicate how important the US market is to BMW. I like their strategy of using Formula E and WEC/IMSA, as well as customer racing through GT3. Just curious what they'll race.

McLaren might be GTE but I doubt some of the others would do the same because GT3 is "we'll equalize whatever you bring" while GTLM is more traditional rulebook-wise. Therefore, harder for things like the Bentley or M6 to be as equal. I'm worried the Mercedes AMG GT would fall in the latter camp as well, and for GTLM would require a new engine to be developed, too (the GT3 uses the same engine as the SLS).

If Ferrari and Ford can homologate the 488 and GT for GTE then McLaren can homologate the 650S. They just don't see a market for it.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

holocaust bloopers posted:

3,000 words isn't enough.

Hey so at Ars do you just laugh at everyone dorking out over iPhones while you drive a McLaren for a day?

Pretty much.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

julian assflange posted:

i8? They are pretty small though

Same size as 570S more or less. But it's got a 1.5L 3 cylinder engine. There's no way to make that competitive in GTE. An M4 or M6 is most likely.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

julian assflange posted:

Oh I didn't know the engine had to be the same as the road car in those categories.

Actually after looking at the rules again, they could use any series production engine. Might be a lot of work re-engineering the car from having a transverse 3 to a longitudinal V8, but maybe not given the subframe design.

quote:

The engine must be derived from a series production Engine produced at more than 300 units and fitted to a series vehicle from the same manufacturer.
If a mean of propulsion different than an internal combustion engine is considered, it needs to be used directly from the original car without any modification. In this case, FIA/ACO reserve the right to use any means they would deem appropriate to balance the performance of such a car.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

harperdc posted:

Oh, this rumor is back. I want this to be true :unsmith: cmon MBUSA, sign off on the drat thing.

Considering the posts here too I can imagine some kind of i8 becomes the BMW GTE car. Too many advantages to MR vs an M4/6.

It is not going to be the i8. Waaaaaay too much engineering work.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

MrChips posted:

Not really; it's a subclass just like the various hybrid levels are...in other words, the same, but somehow different.

So I was doing some reading, and unless I'm missing something huge, there is nothing that expressly forbids a manufacturer from running a gas-electric hybrid in LM-GTE; the rules in fact state that "If a mean of propulsion different that an internal combustion engine is considered, it needs to be used directly from serial car without any modification", which means a BMW i8 GTE could theoretically be allowed within the rules.

They would have to do away with the front axle electric drive (probably with a waiver) and up the gas engine output to 300-350 horsepower, but other than that it should be entirely possible to enter the i8 as BMW's new GTE entry; no need to try and graft in a V8 or anything.

How would that work? There's no way to get the hybrid power to the rear wheels so BMW would still have to massively re-engineer the car and then do a ton of integration work to make it a RWD hybrid. And that's not exactly using it "directly from serial car without any modification," is it?

The GTE car will be an M4 or M6.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

1500quidporsche posted:

Yup. It's stupid that WEC can sell a long endurance format fairly successfully but WRC just bitches and moans about how the stages need to be 30 seconds long and the team gets cranky if they're not in bed by 8pm.

Maaaaaybe. I'm the world's biggest WEC booster but I'd be surprised if they have more than 50k subscribers and their US TV ratings are worse than Indycar iirc.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
Don't be sad it's over, be happy it happened. https://arstechnica.com/cars/2016/10/audis-legendary-le-mans-program-to-end-in-2016/

Actually, it's OK to be sad.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

harperdc posted:

am I foolish to expect the current high-nose R18+ showing up next year at Le Mans with fluorescent white and dashes of paint ala the Champion Audis of yore? ;) kind of a shame they can't pass the factory cars to anybody else (or a private Team Joest) to continue for one more year with the older machine, but so goes life.

(also, double-check your caption for the R10 for 2007)

Yes, that's not going to happen. And thanks, will check it shortly.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

no bones about it posted:

I mean theres nothing preventing a private make from purchasing one of those cars if they had more money than god, but noone would be that foolhardy. I mean a LMP1-HY runs about 100M per year, its literally pissing money down a hole for no gain.

Actually Toyota Motorsport only spends ~$80 million a year for a 2-car team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
The future of rallying is rallycross. And Dakar, because what else can we watch in January?

• Locked thread