Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Reminder of the better T&S link:

https://livescoring.us/2016/imsa01/scoring.php

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Spotters guide for today:

http://www.spotterguides.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/SG_16_DAY_v3.pdf

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

We've got some stream options in IRC if people need em, btw

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Jonny Nox posted:

What happened to the Ford GT Ecoboosts?

Electrical issues for both of em it looks like.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

KingShibby posted:

Electrical issues for the #11 as well, I asked T Bell himself
We've got our pit reporter for our future Twitch commentary stream !!!

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

lol the spotter yelling at him

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Jamie Mac from 4th to the lead on the start, then immediately fucks it up.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Race Recap:

P
-Honda's look crazy fast at the start, then hit each other and faded a bit.
-#01 Ganassi Starcar went off sequence and in typical Dixonness ended up leading
-Deltawang and 01 spend a period leap frogging on pit strategy. Legge puts up great pace in the wang.
-DW with Andy Meryick smashed into the back of a spun PC car. Woops. DW dead.
-Mazda lead for a bit on pace, but Pla in the shank car passed him and took off

PC

-#54 has been dominating since the green. Never much of a challenge at all.

GTLM
-911s lead early, Ford GTs very fast
-...Until both GTs had electrical failures of various kinds. Way way way back now.
-#3 C7 took over the lead and has been able to hold it for a while.

GTD
-Lambos are stupid fast. A few have had issues, but the #48 hasn't had any issues and is seriously like 2 seconds a lap clear of everyone.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Great restart by Ricky Taylor, 4th to first... but the Shank car is just too drat fast to stay behind long.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

https://twitter.com/CGRsportscar/status/693647141714186240

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Leading this race is a curse.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

People were talkin about how the only way anyone else would win in GTD was if the Lambos took each other out...

Welp.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

drat, woke up to a crazy amount of attrition.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Well that loving ruled.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Final results:

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

go3 posted:

people who give Sage Karam a ride in tyool 2016 :negative:

I dunno, he was fast and hosed up a lot. On the sportscar side, he was super good at Sebring a while ago in the DPs. The worst part about Karam were the jackasses who breathlessly supported him as the second coming of racecar jesus or someshit, but thankfully most of them are gone these days.

A GTD ride with a veteran teammate seems like a good fit for him right now. He's certainly no worse than a lot of the richguy jaggoffs that keep GTD around.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

KingShibby posted:

Just came across this gem out of the pics I took at the Rolex 24 this past weekend:

Link for size

Thats part of the reason I love Daytona/Sebring so much, the cars come out looking gnarly. Having 53 cars on 3.5 miles and highbanks of Daytona or 3.7 miles with the bumps of Sebring for 24 hours is stupid and just great.

A similar shot of the PC winner at the end looking tore up:

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

dsriggs posted:

If anybody's bored, the Bathurst 12 hr support categories are livestreaming

http://bathurst12hour.com.au/stream-int

I was painfully bored, thank you for this. Stream looks great too.

e: lol is there like 80 cars in this race...

Cygni fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Feb 6, 2016

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

That 911 Cup exhaust note is still my fav, i dunno why.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Sucks BMW wont be at Lemans again. Apparently we were pretty close to Porsche's GTLM cars not being there either.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

BMB5150 posted:

Some of it sounds like this is going after rolling coal asswipes which they deserve a meteor right on them. Bits and pieces of this regulation seem contradictory of itself and overly complicated that it could use refining to give a clearer idea of what the intention is.

Yeah, i think the real intent is to stop stupid companies named WrextXtremeSportTune420 from selling poo poo to idiots that can quickly modify/un-modify their cars to get around pollution regs, while the company can just say 'well its for race use only!!'. For every 1 guy that wants to buy a sports exhaust to actually go racing, there are 100 ricers or coal rollers that want to put it on the streetcar and drive around for 100,000 miles, only taking it off for smog checks (or just paying off their bro Trent at the smog station to put in a fake record)

Problem is writing a single regulation that clamps down on idiots while not ruining the good natured, harmless fun of the minority. Which i guess is a problem with lots of laws.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

John Pew clonked the wall in night practice. Good thing he pays for the car to run.

http://www.racer.com/imsa/item/127287-imsa-more-drama-for-shank-after-night-practice-crash

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Forgot to set an alarm and its red flagged when I wake up. :(

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

PC ""driving" standards"

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

#31 played that rain/not rain dance perfectly.

lol vette and 911 rip

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Cygni posted:

PC ""driving" standards"

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Holy poo poo Pipo is a madman. Totally outmuscled the AXE cars. Great ending to the race.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Seems similar to that spec Can-Am series from a few years ago. Did they ever start racing, im too lazy to google.

Also now you gone and done it. You gave me an excuse to post some of my dads F-5000 pictures.

1969, he ran this rad McLaren M10B for Lothar Motchenbacher out of the Traco Engineering engine shop that provided the Chevy engines. He's the doof in the car, look for the floppy hair and mustache in the rest of the pics to find em:

1970, he was worked on this pair of Chevy powered Lotus 70's for Dick Smothers (who was a TV comedian. Seriously) and George Wintersteen:

Love the WW2 ammo cans:

71-72 we went back to work for Lothar and ran various McLaren F-5000 and Can Am cars for him. I prolly have some pics somewhere

73, he went to work for Hogan as the chief mechanic on David Hobb's car. Here he is in the Lola factory looking at their new T-330 Chevy getting assembled. Look at how its a goddamn mess in the background. Don't think chassis constructor buildings look like that now:

At the track (Road America?) Look at Hobbs in the background with the amazing mustache. This is what a PROFESSIONAL racing operation looked like at the time, ha. Grass paddock and all.

And 75-77, he worked for Vel's Parnelli Jones Racing as chief mechanic for Al Unser, Mario Andretti, and Danny Ongais at various times in F-5000, IndyCar, and F1. Heres my dad and Big Al with their names on the car. Pic rules:

They spent a couple years as one of the superteams in US racing. Here's a cool front row lockout at Laguna, ready to roll off with matching Lola T332s:

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

harperdc posted:

https://twitter.com/AUTOSPORT_web/status/726283350957133826

Autopolis is still closed until May 16th, and have shown more of the damage from the earthquakes. There was supposed to be Super Formula there this weekend, and I believe Super GT has been delayed as well.

That's still a better surface than like 99% of tracks in the rest of the world

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Race fast laps:

Audi #8 - 1:59.952
Audi #7 - 2:00.062

Porsche #2 - 1:59.140
Porsche #1 - 1:58.431

Toyota #5 - 1:59.740
Toyota #6 - 2:00.177

Looks like Porsche still has a pretty big edge, but Audi and Toyota are real close.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

ME SMERT

Cygni fucked around with this message at 16:42 on May 20, 2016

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

whoa, thats really weird... i hadnt even clicked on this thread yet when i posted that?

or im just an idiot? both are possible. my bad!

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

CactusWeasle posted:

Hey maybe I should slow down for this giant cloud of sand on the track

DRIVE THROUGH IT, COLE

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I'm not sure Cota is going to be paying anyone any sanctioning fees soon enough, so WEC is shopping the only other track that paid the FIA's track grade extortion fee.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

there is a stream 2 watch it somewhere on the internet, hint hint see what i did there

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

They wear full face helmets, they don't have windshields. Sounds like he caught the edge of a barrier + a fence pole with the roof of the truck when it rolled over. As we learned when the fence pole sheared the solid steel roll hoop of Dan Wheldon's car off, physics with that stuff can be bad. Ugh. Rolling headfirst into concrete and fence poles is horrifying.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

2016 LM spotter guide is out. P1, P2, and GTE Pro all look fun. Also GTE Am continues to exist.

http://www.spotterguides.com/portfolio/16lm/

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

WindyMan posted:

I'm just going to go with the "find a shady stream and put on Radio Le Mans" option

same, i havent had any problem finding streams in prior years.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Current P1s have tons of launch power, but also tons of grip and electronic help. In early Group C/GTP, you're talking similar power levels but no traction control, no electronic dif, no anti lag, basically no engine drivability to speak of, H-pattern boxes, 2 wheel drive, vastly more primitive shocks, floaty tire compounds, etc.

Some of those onboards of the era are straight scary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

lol ACO just pulled the rug out from under the IMSA teams and told em they can't even run their DPi engines at lemans. Basically have to buy a whole new car to run the 24, after years of saying they wouldn't have to. Ban the ACO and FIA.

• Locked thread