Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

if I'd just show a fraction of my ambition to study Dwarf Fortress in real life then everything would be better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Raise your hand if you have multiple notes and documents detailing research notes regarding build strategies and in-game goals.

Retarded_Clown_
Feb 18, 2012

In Training posted:

Raise your hand if you have multiple notes and documents detailing research notes regarding build strategies and in-game goals.

I have notes for when I play Undertale but it's mainly just words of encouragement like "You're a special snowflake" and "you can do this"

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Retarded_Clown_ posted:

I have notes for when I play Undertale but it's mainly just words of encouragement like "You're a special snowflake" and "you can do this"

Lol

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I printed out a FFX bestiary with 10 checkboxes next to each entry and spent 8 straight hours capturing 10 of each enemy for the Monster Arena, check each one off individually.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

In Training posted:

I played Europa Universalis 4 and Crusader Kings II for 18 hours a day while attaining a post graduate degree.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I played Europa Universalis 4 and Crusader Kings II for 18 hours a day while attaining a post graduate degree.

And now you spend your weekends chasing tail. How the mighty have fallen.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
the tomb raiding and crypt exploring was fun, but I wish they would have doubled down on that content and made the added stuff actually difficult, because I solved all of the tomb puzzles without even trying and have reams of evidence which suggests I am not smart.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

I'm trying to enjoy tomb raider definitive but after about 20 QTEs in as many minutes I'm not sure thisgame is for me

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

Like with all the cool climbing controls it would've been way more tense to have to dodge these falling boulders using the games normal controls but someone decided there needed to be a prompt for me to push the stick left or right. or running from the cannibal dude. It would've been tough to evade him in all those hosed up corridors just trying to run but instead I get a canned cutscene at the end where I push square to make him go away.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

In Training posted:

Only when I was trying to get thanatos in p3

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Benny D posted:

Like with all the cool climbing controls it would've been way more tense to have to dodge these falling boulders using the games normal controls but someone decided there needed to be a prompt for me to push the stick left or right. or running from the cannibal dude. It would've been tough to evade him in all those hosed up corridors just trying to run but instead I get a canned cutscene at the end where I push square to make him go away.

urgh. does Rise have less of that poo poo

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

urgh. does Rise have less of that poo poo

Yes

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

the rest of Tomb Raider has less of that too, thats like the first five minutes of the game

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

my question is if this game is as shameless a ripoff of uncharted as Tomb Raider was or if its fallen into its own thing more. like is it the same mechanics as the last one?

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

More of a Batman; Arhkam City minature open world type thing with hubs. It has a few Uncharted-y setpieces but doesnt rely on them too heavily.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

it looks nice but the story is probably poo poo like the first one so im going to hold off until its 4 dolla. thanks for reading

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

tumor looking batty posted:

it looks nice but the story is probably poo poo like the first one so im going to hold off until its 4 dolla. thanks for reading

you could always skip the cutscenes

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

The story is basically Tomb_raider.txt, but its a pretty fun ride

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
It has Jesus in it and Lara may or may not gently caress him she doesn't so that's fun.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Good Lord Fisher! posted:

More of a Batman; Arhkam City minature open world type thing with hubs. It has a few Uncharted-y setpieces but doesnt rely on them too heavily.

Stealth any better or is it more of the same?

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Action Tortoise posted:

Stealth any better or is it more of the same?

Stealth's a wee bit better, in that there's lots of treebranches around that work pretty much like gargoyles in the batman games and also thick grass you can conceal yourself in occasionally. You can craft enemy radios into proximity mine lures now too and make smoke grenades

edit: theres yellow markers over the heads of enemies that are in danger of spotting you too which is a nice quality of life thing, and you can use detective mode survivor instincts to see whether enemies are in line of sight of each other

Good Lord Fisher! fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Feb 3, 2016

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I finally played it. It’s nothing special but it’s a nice chill zone-out experience. There are way too many parts where you just hold forwards while interesting things happen around and to Lara but they’re completely uninteractive. Even the really exciting chase scenes and stuff with everything collapsing and bombs going off and helicopters strafing you, you just sit back holding forward and appreciating how pretty it is.

I played on the hardest difficulty and it was really easy after a few tough bits in the first half, the counter kill move makes the game incredibly easy because you can bait and OHKO any enemy even the big armoured zombie dudes. It’s more fun not to use it. The combat has a really nice frantic feel to it that I like when you don’t have that move, scrabbling away from dudes, desperately finding materials to make molotovs, trying to get the drop on people. It’s fun.

It’s a shame it’s so scripted because my favourite fights are the ones where enemies start out unaware of you and you can pick off a few of them and set up traps before they notice you, but later on there’s hardly any of that for whatever reason, like you were holding forward then Lara decided to take control for a second and fall off a cliff yelling and roaring and alerting everyone.

I had fun with it when it actually let me play it by myself and it’s a really gorgeous game so it was a good showcase for my new “compy”. Also the story was terrible but whatever. I think I'll get that Survival Mode DLC because it sounds like all the good parts of the game without the stuff I didn't like.

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FactsAreUseless posted:

The only crafting ingredients I care about are Fang, Petal, Horn, and Feather.

Were these really crafting ingredients, or just prehistoric currency? I don't mean to nitpick I actually want to know.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I got a cheap Steam key and I've been playing it, it's pretty good

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Ralp posted:

Were these really crafting ingredients, or just prehistoric currency? I don't mean to nitpick I actually want to know.

You could buy supplies from someone in Ayla's tribe using regular GP, so I'm inclined to think of them as crafting ingredients

Retarded_Clown_
Feb 18, 2012

Sweet, I always said the one thing Tmb Raider needed to be better was a crafting system. Awesome.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Retarded_Clown_ posted:

Sweet, I always said the one thing Tmb Raider needed to be better was a crafting system. Awesome.

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Retarded_Clown_ posted:

Tomb Raider added crafting, Fallout added a garbage picking\junk building mini game that you have to play to finish the last mission. This whole "future" thing I don't think I like so much. Oh Mylanta.

• Locked thread