Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rlloyd3
Feb 3, 2012

Dr. Stab posted:

I consider that a win. Those energy are cool as hell.

Yeah, once prices stabilize later this year I'll consider buying a full play set IRL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

Got a premade deck yesterday. The one with gengar in it. I can't figure the win con with it. Any help? Joining that Irc later.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
If it's the noivern deck, just get nowhere out asap, dump all your energy on it, win.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
That deck depends on noivern and gengar it's designed to be a stall deck but sometimes you can just clear early boards with noivern. You will want to set up a gengar if possible since some matchups are unwinnable without it. Most of your basics are fodder. Ursaring helps with stalling sometimes but it's really slow to get off the board.

While you're setting up put energies on a ghastly (but don't overinvest because there's 1-2 theme decks with lysander, basic green for starters) but hold haunter until you're ready to set up a gengar turn because haunter's on-play effect is pretty useful. Sometimes you'll want to retreat a gengar or noivern to set up - as in retreat it and then do some damage to your opponent's active with whatever else you send in so you can send in noivern or gengar back in to KO it. Cresselia and Zoroark are reasonable damage but also are good switching tools (cresselia switches out for free with a stadium in play and is somewhat tanky, zoroark switches in for free and can do a lot of damage). They combo well with haunter because ideally you want to switch out whatever you confused with haunter.

The main problem with the deck is that your draws are rather inconsistent because your plays are combo-ey and it is very energy hungry. Also the deck doesn't have its own stadiums to enable cresselia which kind of sucks.

Hey Fingercuffs
Nov 29, 2007

Yo baby, you ever had your asshole licked by a fat man in an overcoat?
Since this was mentioned in the main Pokemon Thread, and because my niece is now at the age that her cool aunt and uncle who love Pokemon is extremely impressionable, I thought I'd check this out because it actually did the tutorial and I hadn't played it in 15 years, and just in case my niece actually wants to play as opposed to just looking at the cards I figured I'd brush up on the rules. Fast forward five hours later wondering where my time went and being totally engrossed in the game. I had forgotten how easy this game is to learn and how fun it was. Even though I'm just beating up computers with basic theme decks this game is way more fun that it has any right to be.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY

Hey Fingercuffs posted:

Since this was mentioned in the main Pokemon Thread, and because my niece is now at the age that her cool aunt and uncle who love Pokemon is extremely impressionable, I thought I'd check this out because it actually did the tutorial and I hadn't played it in 15 years, and just in case my niece actually wants to play as opposed to just looking at the cards I figured I'd brush up on the rules. Fast forward five hours later wondering where my time went and being totally engrossed in the game. I had forgotten how easy this game is to learn and how fun it was. Even though I'm just beating up computers with basic theme decks this game is way more fun that it has any right to be.

Yep - this game is loving addicting. I downloaded it five days ago, and now I'm 200 matches in.

Really enjoying this and the booster pack madness of it. Is it ever worthwhile to buy the sets, or just stick to boosters?

Trying to figure out a Fighting deck to get that achievement.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
I think the blisters were the best value, and some precons can have very good constructed cards (having 4 sycamores is probably a good place to start, for example)

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

STABBEY THE MEANY
Sounds like I need to save up then - I've been trying to build out other decks than water decks but I can never find enough cards to justify the single-type deck.

Hey Fingercuffs
Nov 29, 2007

Webbeh posted:

Yep - this game is loving addicting. I downloaded it five days ago, and now I'm 200 matches in.

Really enjoying this and the booster pack madness of it. Is it ever worthwhile to buy the sets, or just stick to boosters?

Trying to figure out a Fighting deck to get that achievement.

I found that getting at least one theme deck and doing theme tournaments is a good way to get some boosters. Of the current decks the Lugia Themed one seems to be pretty solid. Although there is a new set released the 2nd of August and I'm not sure how quickly they update the webpage with the new sets. But it might be worth it to wait and see what the new decks will be.

rlloyd3
Feb 3, 2012

Hey Fingercuffs posted:

I found that getting at least one theme deck and doing theme tournaments is a good way to get some boosters. Of the current decks the Lugia Themed one seems to be pretty solid. Although there is a new set released the 2nd of August and I'm not sure how quickly they update the webpage with the new sets. But it might be worth it to wait and see what the new decks will be.

Steam Siege deck lists, you say?

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
dear tpci please stop putting tierno in preconstructed decks, shauna at least sees some play :geno:

seriously just give people professor sycamores so they can learn what good supporters do

at least you get an evosoda and ultra ball but an ultra ball with no hand refill is pretty mad awkward.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jul 26, 2016

Hey Fingercuffs
Nov 29, 2007

Well other than more supporters that no one needs both of those look like solid decks. I mean I guess new players need em but still they could throw some variety in there.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

STABBEY THE MEANY
Regice has been my favorite counter to EX-heavy decks. I need to find more of these, as my poor W:L ratio can't take coming up against more of these.

Hey Fingercuffs
Nov 29, 2007

Webbeh posted:

Regice has been my favorite counter to EX-heavy decks. I need to find more of these, as my poor W:L ratio can't take coming up against more of these.

The Fates Collide Lugia is a solid EX counter too. Does 120 damage and reduces all incoming damage by 20.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Oh hey didn't know we had this thread. I don't play too much but i keep up with new cards and decks and stuff, looking forward to the rotation kicking out night march.

I recently tried making variations on mill decks with Durant and Weezing but nothing seems to work very well. I wish the new Durant was as good as the old one.

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]
Been playing a lot of PTCGO lately. Owns.

Anyone have any YouTube channels they follow for news/strategies/unboxings of this game? Card or online, doesn't matter.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

Granbar posted:

Been playing a lot of PTCGO lately. Owns.

Anyone have any YouTube channels they follow for news/strategies/unboxings of this game? Card or online, doesn't matter.

Team fishknuckles, the main dude behind it is super chill and pretty good at the game. A huge chunk of the pokemon tcg community is complete garbage though, I stopped playing a lot because of it, but luckily there are a few places where it's not vile poo poo all the time.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

STABBEY THE MEANY

mabels big day posted:

Oh hey didn't know we had this thread. I don't play too much but i keep up with new cards and decks and stuff, looking forward to the rotation kicking out night march.

I recently tried making variations on mill decks with Durant and Weezing but nothing seems to work very well. I wish the new Durant was as good as the old one.

I've only seen Night March once and goddamn was it a stupidly gimmick strategy.

And it was during one of those 24 ticket tournaments. :(

Hey Fingercuffs
Nov 29, 2007

Online thankfully I've only seen once during a random versus. I actually sat and watched nationals and everyone who was in the top was using it and a deck called Water Toolbox. One lady had a Giratina based deck that was holding it's own but man it's going to be nice to see it phased out and hopefully add some variety into the top decks. But who am I kidding TCG games always have two or three broken decks that require rare cards that you have an extremely slim chance of getting.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

Hey Fingercuffs posted:

Online thankfully I've only seen once during a random versus. I actually sat and watched nationals and everyone who was in the top was using it and a deck called Water Toolbox. One lady had a Giratina based deck that was holding it's own but man it's going to be nice to see it phased out and hopefully add some variety into the top decks. But who am I kidding TCG games always have two or three broken decks that require rare cards that you have an extremely slim chance of getting.

Luckily the rotation after worlds will get rid of some annying cards like seismitoad and mega manectric. Though there's still another year left of shaymin.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
:rip: battle compressor

it's me, i'm the unrepentant night march playing scum

Zoness fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Aug 2, 2016

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

Zoness posted:

:rip: battle compressor

it's me, i'm the unrepentant night march playing scum

:same: Though I do have a fun combo deck with trevenant break and break point gengar.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

I almost thought of buying a real life booster but then I noticed PTCGO doesn't suck.

Is there a benefit to buying real boosters or should I just play this F2P and source all my card money directly to MtG cards.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

widespread posted:

I almost thought of buying a real life booster but then I noticed PTCGO doesn't suck.

Is there a benefit to buying real boosters or should I just play this F2P and source all my card money directly to MtG cards.

If you want to play the paper game yea, each pack comes with a code to get a pack in PTCGO.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Elblanco posted:

If you want to play the paper game yea, each pack comes with a code to get a pack in PTCGO.

Huh. That sounds way better than the relationship between MtG and MtGO. Gonna buy one now.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

widespread posted:

Huh. That sounds way better than the relationship between MtG and MtGO. Gonna buy one now.

Theme decks and tins come with codes too, the tin codes specifically give you a code that gets you a deck built around the card in the tin, and those decks are a bit better than most theme decks too.

I would buy way more boosters if Wizards did the same MTG though.

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]
Buying codes for boosters online (Reddit's good for this) is by far the cheapest way to get boosters in-game.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
yeah it's like $4 for a stack of 30 codes or something

except roaring skies codes. a couple of brick and mortar PTCG stores sell the codes online when they open boosters for inventory on set releases, afaik.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

That's probably the better idea then what I wound up doing, and that's buying the shiny Rayquaza EX box.

Speaking of, both Rayquaza's in it are loving hilarious since the regular one has "search for M Rayquaza EX and reveal it" and the actual card itself is this big fuckin' piece of shiny cardboard.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
this new title is a bit of a prediction but thanks standard rotation for getting rid of xerosic and the megaphone, i hope people like getting garbodor locked

especially xerosic since you had all sorts of redundancy in lines to tutor him out, such as with battle compressor, which also rotated out :rip:

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

Any suggestions on how to tackle Carbinkles and Regice with my (M) Mewtwo-EX deck?

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
I assume you're referring to M-Mewtwo Y Ex (the one with psychic infinity) since MMXex can hit through resistance blizzard (but is a worse card). You can run non-ex attackers or spam hammers so that regice can't use its EX block attack.

but regice is often played with an energy retrieval engine like mega manectric or bronzong, so you might also need to lysander the support mons out to kill them

comedy option - RoS Jirachi, force the regice to retreat with doom desire, then lysander the regice back in and kill it. You'll lose the jirachi but hey that's a pretty good trade considering relative setup time.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Aug 4, 2016

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Does this game let you get older cards or is it the most recent x years only? I want to run a deck of nothing but the OG hitmonchans, scythers and electabuzzes like I'm 10 again.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Asehujiko posted:

Does this game let you get older cards or is it the most recent x years only? I want to run a deck of nothing but the OG hitmonchans, scythers and electabuzzes like I'm 10 again.

I've been told it's cards released from HGSS and later.

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

Some say she was raised by sentient birds, and that test subjects replicating her equipment were horribly broken.

All we know is she's called
The Hunter

You can only actively get cards from the currently legal sets in the game's Standard format. That is, using the Coins and whatnot in the client itself.

You CAN get older cards, but you need Code Cards from those packs/decks. And the original code card system was different than the current system, so I'm not sure if the HGSS sets' code cards would even work properly now. Also, just getting them isn't really easy since those sets are so old comparatively.

From what I remember, every now and then they'll put up a pack bundle from older sets in the shop for Coins, but nothing Pre-HGSS though.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Volfogg posted:

You can only actively get cards from the currently legal sets in the game's Standard format. That is, using the Coins and whatnot in the client itself.

You CAN get older cards, but you need Code Cards from those packs/decks. And the original code card system was different than the current system, so I'm not sure if the HGSS sets' code cards would even work properly now. Also, just getting them isn't really easy since those sets are so old comparatively.

From what I remember, every now and then they'll put up a pack bundle from older sets in the shop for Coins, but nothing Pre-HGSS though.

As the owner of a HGSS deck on PTCGO I can say the old codes work just fine.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Asehujiko posted:

Inspired by this post I decided to dig through my cupboard to see how many of my cards I still had. I'm missing 5 out of 102 cards in the Base Set :smith: Related: Does anyone want to sell me a Scoop Up, Full Heal, Maintenance, Pokémon Flute and Revive? :v:
God drat though the art on these cards. It's strikingly different to the modern cards. I also dug out some of my movie promotional cards and they're all in a folder together now :3:

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

Some say she was raised by sentient birds, and that test subjects replicating her equipment were horribly broken.

All we know is she's called
The Hunter

I could look through my old stuff when I get a chance. Pretty sure I had a lot of the C/UC Trainers, even from Base Set.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Is there a metagame primer for this game (what with the rotation and all)? I tried watching a video or two, but they presume a tiny bit of knowledge that eludes me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

STABBEY THE MEANY
Well I found out this game keeps on crashing for me - it fails to load if you have >1 monitor.

• Locked thread