Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Webbeh posted:

Well I found out this game keeps on crashing for me - it fails to load if you have >1 monitor.

I don't think monitor count is the reason, doesn't the game tell you about a crash thing to send to a developer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flagrama
Jun 19, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
4 monitors here. Works fine for me.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hey, breaking into this because a guy of work plays it non-stop and I've been 12 kinds of poke-crazy. Reading the guide now, any pointers that aren't there?

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

Turtlicious posted:

Hey, breaking into this because a guy of work plays it non-stop and I've been 12 kinds of poke-crazy. Reading the guide now, any pointers that aren't there?

IF you're planning on playing standard, don't pick up any packs from before primal clash, as rotation happens later this month i believe.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Elblanco posted:

IF you're planning on playing standard, don't pick up any packs from before primal clash, as rotation happens later this month i believe.

I will add this to the OP

jhorphear
Apr 24, 2013

Ask me about telling people not to change my avatar
So i am dumb, and decided to start playing again. What is the best theme deck to run for the theme deck events?

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
I admittedly haven't looked over the newer ones but basic blue or basic yellow is still probably the best

Flagrama
Jun 19, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
I thought Night Striker took the top position since breakthrough came out. I see it recommended everywhere, even the in-game store has a "Best for Beginners" or something tag on it now.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Night Striker is pretty easy to pilot but it's kind of inconsistent. I ran it a bunch and when you get an early Noivern that's nice but there's a lot of draws that just don't get there and noivern's draw7 can cost you a critical turn. I am almost certain that it is behind basic blue and basic yellow on average, because those decks are more consistent.

Note that basic blue basically almost always manages to open with articuno because of how much card draw and search it has between dive ball and its supporters, and then it gets to set up a gyarados with a hand full of energies.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY

Flagrama posted:

4 monitors here. Works fine for me.

Ah, looks to be Mac only:

http://forums.pokemontcg.com/topic/44613-238-known-issues-august-9-2016/

quote:

Mac: The game will fail to launch if multiple monitors are connected to the system.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

I should wait until after rotation to make any purchases right? See how stuff shapes up, and figure out I can start buying the latest pack?

EDIT: I opened two Roaring Skies packs, no Shaymin, this game sucks. :saddowns:

Serperoth fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Aug 11, 2016

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

Serperoth posted:

I should wait until after rotation to make any purchases right? See how stuff shapes up, and figure out I can start buying the latest pack?

roaring skies will always be a safe buy right now, it'll still be in standard after rotation, and you'll probably need shaymin ex anyway.

Benach
Aug 15, 2013
The sets that are going out of Standard rotation are XY, FlashFire, Furious Fists and Phantom Forces. I would consider buying packs of those anyway, because they will probably be removed from the PTCGO shop post-rotation, and it'd be much harder to get those packs after that point. Night March may be dead in Standard, but it'll live on in Expanded.

The best theme decks currently are probably Basic Blue, Basic Green, Battle Ruler and, more arguably, Dark Hammer.

Basic Blue gets a ton of bombs, between Articuno, Gyarados and Greninja. Rough Seas makes KOing these a huge nightmare. Walrein is huge and it and Articuno can shut down Battle Ruler and Dark Hammer. Simipour isn't a slouch either, and can Infinite an opponent by Recycle'ing Team Flare Grunt on a poke with too few energy and too high a retreat cost, though most decks have a trick to get out of it (Switch, Energy Switch, only having pokes with 1 Retreat.) It's also the deck with probably the best Trainer suite, with Dive Ball, Acro Bike, Shauna, Muscle Band, Pokemon Fan Club and Battle Reporter.

Basic Green is good more because, where it has fewer bombs than Blue, the bombs it has are Huge and hard to deal with. If they get Chesnaught down, you better have 2-3 very strong pokes already set up. Simisage can also shut down a number of pokes with Torment. With Ultra Ball, Professor Sycamore, Lucky Helmet and Shiftry's Leaf Draw, it arguably have better card draw than Base Blue.
Green is also Good because Blue's Greninja and Simipour lines are weak to Grass, provided they don't use Weakness Policy.

Battle Ruler has access to the fastest and cheapest Bombs. Zygarde being a Basic with 120hp and a 120 damage attack for 3 energy is really rough. Comapre with Night Striker's Noivern that is a stage 1 with only 100hp and must be constantly fed Energy (meaning you can't set up another poke in the bench.) The Serperior is the cheapest attacker, only requiring one Grass energy, and with Deerling and Wally, it's relatively easy to set up.

Dark Hammer is theoretically very versatile. Landorus is one of the only Energy ramps in Theme Deck mode and is beefy (though not quite as hefty as BR Zygarde), Machamp is one of the biggest bombs, Hitmonlee which can pick off stuff very easily if people don't respect it (hello magikarp~), Pangoro can theoretically deal 70 damage on t2 (a high number in Theme Deck), Scrafty can be a huge swing on coinflips, and having two Sycamore and Korrina alone make it have a solid Trainer set. But I do believe this is a deck that, not only can it have amazing starts, it can have the most abysmal ones. The Licki line is kind of garbage, the Mienshao line often doesn't do enough, and it's very difficult if your opponent opens with Articuno or Zapdos.

I've played too much Theme Deck.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
yeah basic blue's strength comes mostly from consistency. there's other decks that can outpower it but you are at like a 75% chance to open with articuno which means you will not miss energy drops for the rest of the game while pulling energies out of your deck so you can draw more gas off the top. articuno also has a very low retreat cost so if in case you don't draw another searcher or another ace to pump up (usually gyarados), you can just retreat it and build it up as a sweeper while sacrificing pokemon to whatever is threatening your board.

Sixfools
Aug 27, 2005

You be the Moon,
I'll be the Earth
And when we burst
Start over, oh, darling
Just want to post a new player (longtime mtg player) experience. I bought the paper Mewtwo vs. Darkrai Battle Arena decks and have been wrecking vs mode in the expanded format with the Mewtwo deck after stuffing in more Bats and removing the Grumpigs and some other stuff. From what I can see the Battle Arena deck contains a lot of valuable cards for deckbuilding in general as well. I can't bring myself to do the trainer challenges with theme decks, they all just seem sub-par. I wish there was a straight overhead view.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

Sixfools posted:

Just want to post a new player (longtime mtg player) experience. I bought the paper Mewtwo vs. Darkrai Battle Arena decks and have been wrecking vs mode in the expanded format with the Mewtwo deck after stuffing in more Bats and removing the Grumpigs and some other stuff. From what I can see the Battle Arena deck contains a lot of valuable cards for deckbuilding in general as well. I can't bring myself to do the trainer challenges with theme decks, they all just seem sub-par. I wish there was a straight overhead view.

I did the same thing when i got into playing a while back. If you mash the decks together it gets even better. I ran both mewtwo and darkrai ex, with bats and i think the xy yveltal. the deck is pretty sweet.

Sixfools
Aug 27, 2005

You be the Moon,
I'll be the Earth
And when we burst
Start over, oh, darling
I've been trying to figure out the best way to do that since I don't know anything about energy curves in this game.

I've basically focused on maxing out the bats (4zubat, 3golbat, 3crobat is a good ratio?) and ways to recur them back into my hand with AZ or Devolve sprays. Are there other good cards for this purpose?

Why is Sycamore better then Shauna? 2 cards more for dumping your hand rather then shuffling back in seems worse.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Sixfools posted:

I've been trying to figure out the best way to do that since I don't know anything about energy curves in this game.

I've basically focused on maxing out the bats (4zubat, 3golbat, 3crobat is a good ratio?) and ways to recur them back into my hand with AZ or Devolve sprays. Are there other good cards for this purpose?

Why is Sycamore better then Shauna? 2 cards more for dumping your hand rather then shuffling back in seems worse.

Dumping your hand is basically the same as shuffling back (often better, honestly), except in two cases that I will mention below. Considering your hand was probably full of dregs to need to play a supporter to draw so many cards in the first place, shauna is just going to shuffle those bad cards back into your deck and give you fewer chances to find relevant cards. For locking you out of your supporter for the turn you better be maximizing your chances of finding what you need.

The main point for shauna type effects is if you're playing a lot of one-ofs that are hard to get back, such as double colorless energies, or a deck with a lot of search effects but that is likely to draw out its search targets. In the former case if you have the most important cards in your deck you are very likely to not need to draw a lot anyway and shuffling those cards back in similarly makes them hard to find. In the latter case you are also not guaranteed to find cards that let you keep digging through your deck in your top 5. However, in general, the discard pile is a resource in ways that your deck isn't, such as for cards like VS Seeker or Bronzong, so discarding is, most of the time, better than shuffling back.

Basically don't consider cards in your deck as cards you really have available to you, and you should be running thick evolution lines or at least 3 of if not the full 4 of any important card so that discarding one or two copies to sycamore isn't a significant loss.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

Sixfools posted:

The best part of mashing those decks together is that you only need dark energies and double colorless, everything in the deck needs dark or colorless to attack. the xy yveltal(which just got reprinted in steam siege) has a one dark attack that brings energy back from discard and puts in on a benched pokemon. This works well with mewtow ex, who deal more damage with more energy on it. Ideally it should run the breakthrough darkrai ex as well, as it also has an attack that scales with energy.

Also, to add onto what Zoness said, with the way competitive pokemon decks work, you need as much card draw as you can fit, and drawing those two extra cards is huge. You'll also find yourself playing sycamore a lot when you have no other cards in hand as well. Though the main thing I've seen people argue about is running shauna or professor birch's investigations(I think it's called that) the prof. Birch card has you flip a coin, on tails you shuffle your hand in and draw 4, on heads you shuffle your hand in and draw 7. I like shauna better for the consistency, and I hate coin flip stuff like that and roller skates.

Sixfools
Aug 27, 2005

You be the Moon,
I'll be the Earth
And when we burst
Start over, oh, darling
Ah makes sense thanks for clarifying I've been running both at the moment and couldn't decide which was better really. I'm at 4 tickets currently before I can try an event and want to prepare beforehand.
What's the best way to figure out energy curves when adding in more types beyond 1 type+normal?

Also I can't believe how freely they give out boosters for playing, it's awesome. I actually found out about the game through boogie2988 showing up in my youtube suggestions list because of pokemon go stuff(I am forever shamed) and didn't believe that they would give out so much for free.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
I would probably play 15 energy at most but it depends on the deck, as for which types to use count the energies you need for whichever attacks you will actually use and then base it on that. If your deck uses DCE's run 4 of them always.

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]
World championship is going on this weekend:

http://www.twitch.tv/pokemontcg

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY
Do we have enough people playing this to start a friends list Google Spreadsheet to pair goons up?

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
I'd be cool with that, though after the weekend is over ill no longer have a good standard deck. Though i have 3 solid expanded decks.

Flagrama
Jun 19, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Granbar posted:

World championship is going on this weekend:

http://www.twitch.tv/pokemontcg

Finalists will be a Greninja deck and a Mega Audino deck. I'm so happy Night March isn't going to win.

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]

Flagrama posted:

Finalists will be a Greninja deck and a Mega Audino deck. I'm so happy Night March isn't going to win.

Yeah, super cool.

Indigo Cephalopods
Oct 26, 2012

Justice Rains From Above
Mega Audino won with an hour still left on the clock

jhorphear
Apr 24, 2013

ugh, so i started playing about a week or two ago when my desire to play pokemon go faded. managing to grind out tournaments with xy: basic blue and purchasing codes for the hoopa and mewtwo tins has resulted in me haveing a rediculously stonk M Mewtwo deck. I have been smashing through the vs and tournaments ( unless i face nightmarch. ). I am super stoked for a post nightmarch meta. it almost has me wanting to play the game in paper again... almost.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Also I'm not sure what's good in standard any more post rotation, since I was all about following the latest developments in night march lists. I assume greninja and audino survive the rotation so I'll look there and try to update the OP about what core cards to get to try to build into more competitive decks.

I'll probably do something drastic if playing shaymin-ex is somehow bad though.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I just started playing Pokeman cards after a 20 year hiatus and I somehow managed to pull 2 Shaymin-EXes... in TCGO. Not the real cards. I could have made $120+ if I did that.

Well, I can compete with the big boys in the digital realm at least.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Zoness posted:

Also I'm not sure what's good in standard any more post rotation, since I was all about following the latest developments in night march lists. I assume greninja and audino survive the rotation so I'll look there and try to update the OP about what core cards to get to try to build into more competitive decks.

I'll probably do something drastic if playing shaymin-ex is somehow bad though.

Nothing short of a trainer card that says "deal 110 damage to a benched pokemon" would stop people from using Shaymin.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
professor sycamore drawing 3 water energies is 150 damage :getin:

talonflame-greninja looks like my kind of deck post rotation, in that it has a good draw engine and plays out of the discard pile

i think it remains intact for the most part even if it loses the battle compressor + vs seeker engine that you can tutor for on talonflame's first attack.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

Zoness posted:

professor sycamore drawing 3 water energies is 150 damage :getin:

talonflame-greninja looks like my kind of deck post rotation, in that it has a good draw engine and plays out of the discard pile

i think it remains intact for the most part even if it loses the battle compressor + vs seeker engine that you can tutor for on talonflame's first attack.

Can we take a second to talk about how bonkers Talonflame is? 130hp "basic" with a single energy 40 damamge attack that tutors for 2 cards, just seems insane. I'm not sure how it's not seeing more play

Superschaf
May 20, 2010

I started getting into this and have been looking for a deck to get for the new Standard. Looks like a Xerneas team might be decent as a budget deck to start with, and if I stick with it Alakazam-EX and Zoroark both seem interesting.
Coincidentally Garbodor seems to be rated highly for the new meta, since there is not way to shut down items anymore, so good job on that thread title.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Elblanco posted:

Can we take a second to talk about how bonkers Talonflame is? 130hp "basic" with a single energy 40 damamge attack that tutors for 2 cards, just seems insane. I'm not sure how it's not seeing more play

Well it almost won worlds this year so thats pretty good I think

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Well... I bought some more boosters... and I got a THIRD Shaymin-EX. One I could actually trade. So I traded it for like 35 booster packs.

So now I can run a deck with Wailord-EX, two Shaymin-EXes and two Seismotoad-EXes. Plus a few VS. Seekers and Battle Compressors. Good lord. I didn't even set out to find those, I just got them. It's kind of disgusting. A lot of people see a couple of my cards and just quit.

jhorphear
Apr 24, 2013

if you traded your shaymin for 35 packs of steam seige you got ripped off. Those are selling for like 45+ packs.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

jhorphear posted:

if you traded your shaymin for 35 packs of steam seige you got ripped off. Those are selling for like 45+ packs.

Well, I picked some assorted packs, not just steam seige. I was interested in Roaring Skies for obvious reasons. It had a few Phantom Forces in there too.

rlloyd3
Feb 3, 2012
When will rotation happen in-game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
Today.

• Locked thread