Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elblanco
May 26, 2008
Oh shiiiit! New thread. If you want some games my Ign is also elblanco. I've been playing expanded a bunch lately but wouldn't mind standard too.

Also happy BREAKpoint release day!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
A ton has changed. You can use theme decks in verses to get coins and packs and cards. Some standard decks are pretty cheap to make. I built night March fairly easily(though a ton of people freak out on me when I do play it).

They just got rid of 5 card packs too, so it should be easier to build up a decent collection. Also, the current tournaments giving out the new packs seem to be giving tradable packs too.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

Zoness posted:

I have been playing nothing but night march mirrors and I feel like the puzzle variant (basically cutting the milotic package for 4 puzzles) is probably absurd but still vulnerable to all the hate cards added in BREAKpoint. Gonna try cutting down to one target whistle/pokemon catcher to mise with puzzles.

Opening with two puzzles and a battle compressor is just the best feeling. Gonna be trying puzzles in some Korrina lists.

I some how didn't even think to use puzzles. I'll have to see how many I have. I've been having amazing pulls. FA darkrai and Skylar turned into 12 rising skies packs and 7 breakpoint packs, pulled 2 shaymins and a fa mega scizor which became 7 breakthrough packs which opened a photon wave mewtwo and fa mega howndoom. I wish I could afford real packs atm cause my luck is nuts.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
I don't care for mega scizor and scizor but people seem to be freaking out over them a bit, plus a full art is usually worth more.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
Yea, they added generations when they added breakpoint. I can't remember though, is generations where the awesome umbreon ex is or is that fates collide?

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

I figured as much. I've seen some really impressive decks running with a ridiculously low energy count by running very tight strategies relying on one card actually using any energy and every other Pokémon sitting on the bench for abilities, but I'm glad to hear that's not the only valid deck configuration!

I'm currently running with a deck based around Trevenant Break, with Metwo EX and Mega Mewtwo EX for backup. There's an Aegislash in there too to mop up anything that didn't get taken out by Trevenant Break's Silent Fear. Four of those Psychic energies that reduce retreat cost, two of the stadiums that reduce energy cost of attacks... The rest is mostly filler with the usual Supporter cards and a few Evosodas. I'll grab a deck list tomorrow if anyone's interested in helping me tweak it? I haven't built a Pokémon deck for about 11 years! I know that running a single colour deck isn't the smartest move, but there were just too many awesome psychic types in this block :v:

Actually, I recently built a deck very similar to this. It uses trevenant BREAK and gengar from breakthrough. The combo being silent fear to drop 30 on all of your opponent's Pokemon and then switch to gengar to creepshow everything to death. I only run 10 energies, one mystery and 9 basic psychic energies. The whole thing works pretty well because you should be running a metric poo poo ton of card draw anyway, and I rub a few floatstones to make switching out trevenant easier. Also with dimension valley, I only need two energies for the entire combo.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
If it's the noivern deck, just get nowhere out asap, dump all your energy on it, win.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

Granbar posted:

Been playing a lot of PTCGO lately. Owns.

Anyone have any YouTube channels they follow for news/strategies/unboxings of this game? Card or online, doesn't matter.

Team fishknuckles, the main dude behind it is super chill and pretty good at the game. A huge chunk of the pokemon tcg community is complete garbage though, I stopped playing a lot because of it, but luckily there are a few places where it's not vile poo poo all the time.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

Hey Fingercuffs posted:

Online thankfully I've only seen once during a random versus. I actually sat and watched nationals and everyone who was in the top was using it and a deck called Water Toolbox. One lady had a Giratina based deck that was holding it's own but man it's going to be nice to see it phased out and hopefully add some variety into the top decks. But who am I kidding TCG games always have two or three broken decks that require rare cards that you have an extremely slim chance of getting.

Luckily the rotation after worlds will get rid of some annying cards like seismitoad and mega manectric. Though there's still another year left of shaymin.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

Zoness posted:

:rip: battle compressor

it's me, i'm the unrepentant night march playing scum

:same: Though I do have a fun combo deck with trevenant break and break point gengar.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

widespread posted:

I almost thought of buying a real life booster but then I noticed PTCGO doesn't suck.

Is there a benefit to buying real boosters or should I just play this F2P and source all my card money directly to MtG cards.

If you want to play the paper game yea, each pack comes with a code to get a pack in PTCGO.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

widespread posted:

Huh. That sounds way better than the relationship between MtG and MtGO. Gonna buy one now.

Theme decks and tins come with codes too, the tin codes specifically give you a code that gets you a deck built around the card in the tin, and those decks are a bit better than most theme decks too.

I would buy way more boosters if Wizards did the same MTG though.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

Turtlicious posted:

Hey, breaking into this because a guy of work plays it non-stop and I've been 12 kinds of poke-crazy. Reading the guide now, any pointers that aren't there?

IF you're planning on playing standard, don't pick up any packs from before primal clash, as rotation happens later this month i believe.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

Serperoth posted:

I should wait until after rotation to make any purchases right? See how stuff shapes up, and figure out I can start buying the latest pack?

roaring skies will always be a safe buy right now, it'll still be in standard after rotation, and you'll probably need shaymin ex anyway.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

Sixfools posted:

Just want to post a new player (longtime mtg player) experience. I bought the paper Mewtwo vs. Darkrai Battle Arena decks and have been wrecking vs mode in the expanded format with the Mewtwo deck after stuffing in more Bats and removing the Grumpigs and some other stuff. From what I can see the Battle Arena deck contains a lot of valuable cards for deckbuilding in general as well. I can't bring myself to do the trainer challenges with theme decks, they all just seem sub-par. I wish there was a straight overhead view.

I did the same thing when i got into playing a while back. If you mash the decks together it gets even better. I ran both mewtwo and darkrai ex, with bats and i think the xy yveltal. the deck is pretty sweet.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

Sixfools posted:

I've been trying to figure out the best way to do that since I don't know anything about energy curves in this game.

I've basically focused on maxing out the bats (4zubat, 3golbat, 3crobat is a good ratio?) and ways to recur them back into my hand with AZ or Devolve sprays. Are there other good cards for this purpose?

Why is Sycamore better then Shauna? 2 cards more for dumping your hand rather then shuffling back in seems worse.

The best part of mashing those decks together is that you only need dark energies and double colorless, everything in the deck needs dark or colorless to attack. the xy yveltal(which just got reprinted in steam siege) has a one dark attack that brings energy back from discard and puts in on a benched pokemon. This works well with mewtow ex, who deal more damage with more energy on it. Ideally it should run the breakthrough darkrai ex as well, as it also has an attack that scales with energy.

Also, to add onto what Zoness said, with the way competitive pokemon decks work, you need as much card draw as you can fit, and drawing those two extra cards is huge. You'll also find yourself playing sycamore a lot when you have no other cards in hand as well. Though the main thing I've seen people argue about is running shauna or professor birch's investigations(I think it's called that) the prof. Birch card has you flip a coin, on tails you shuffle your hand in and draw 4, on heads you shuffle your hand in and draw 7. I like shauna better for the consistency, and I hate coin flip stuff like that and roller skates.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
I'd be cool with that, though after the weekend is over ill no longer have a good standard deck. Though i have 3 solid expanded decks.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

Zoness posted:

professor sycamore drawing 3 water energies is 150 damage :getin:

talonflame-greninja looks like my kind of deck post rotation, in that it has a good draw engine and plays out of the discard pile

i think it remains intact for the most part even if it loses the battle compressor + vs seeker engine that you can tutor for on talonflame's first attack.

Can we take a second to talk about how bonkers Talonflame is? 130hp "basic" with a single energy 40 damamge attack that tutors for 2 cards, just seems insane. I'm not sure how it's not seeing more play

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

BJPaskoff posted:

My girlfriend is hooked on Pokemon Go and is all nostalgic for the Pokemon TCG, and I'd like to play with her. She wants the physical cards though. I bought her the Pikachu Generations box, but of course that's not a deck. I saw starter decks in my LGS, but they use Pokemon we've never heard of.

Do any of the theme decks currently in Standard format have lots of Gen 1 Pokemon?

They try to mix the gens of pokemon in each starter, and each sets starters try and focus on cool new pokemon, since the current theme is X&Y, so unfortunately, you won't be able to find a standard legal starters with only gen 1 pokemon. Luckily if you buy any starter deck from XY Primal Clash and forward, the entire deck will be standard legal.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
There's also a new battle arena deck set as well. They're like duel decks in magic, bit actually competitive. If you pick up two you'll have a high end water deck for expanded. It's super cool.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
The keldeo half is nuts, 2 of those sets gets you like 95% of a high end expanded deck. It's crazy that they put it in there.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
If you haven't seen it yet, the site for Evolutions is pretty great.

http://xy12.pokemontcgxy.com/en-us/home.php

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
Rotation happens once a year right after world's. So we just had rotation making standard primal clash forward. The blocks themselves don't really matter since the Pokemon company just seems to randomly pick which part of the block is no longer legal.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

PleasantDirge posted:

OK, so once a year we get a random swath of cards NOT based on the what set it comes from. Is the Pokemon company pretty good at curating whats in standard? Do we get a spoiler season like in MTG or do they just dump the cards on or around release date to us? Sorry if I am being a pain in the rear end, I have never played anything but MTG and the compare/contrast is really interesting to me bc I'm a huge nerd

Side note: if rotation just happened I should still be chasing those Shaymin EX's bc I have time to find them and play with them for a minute right?

It's not really a random swath of cards, they do choose full sets, it's just not really based on the blocks. They just took out close to half of the sets in XY, no idea WHY they chose those sets, it's just what they did. So like the first 5 XY sets are no longer standard legal. Shaymin is fine though, they stopped just short of Roaring Skies. so you have another year to use them.

As for spoilers, since the game is released in Japan before here, as apposed to a worldwide release, we get a good idea of what's in the set well before release. American sets are usually made up of 2 or so Japanese sets, plus a few cards from supplemental products, like half decks and stuff. Pokebeach is a really good resource for keeping up with spoilers, and serebii keeps track of entire sets when the launch as well.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

Waffles Inc. posted:

Hey y'all--just got a new ipad and stumbled on to this game by just being a pokemon fan

I've never played a TCG but the tutorial is pretty good and I've got a good hold of the mechanics

Apart from the stuff mentioned in the OP, anything else I should know about this game? Should I basically 5 star all of the challenge poo poo before jumping into fighting real people?

Also is Challenge offline? Is there an offline mode at all?

No offline mode unfortunately. I wouldn't jump into versus until you're comfortable with the game. Luckily there's a Theme Deck format as well, so you don't really have to worry about havng a proper deck, there's even tournaments! Though 5 staring is a good way to expand your collection, grinding through the versus latter every 3 weeks is good too, you get a ton of coins and packs, plus a few ex's, at least if they're any good that season. You can also get a deck pretty easy if you buy some real product too, since everything in the physical card game comes with a code card to get it online as well. The last 2 battle arena decks are good for jumping into the game but are only legal in the Expanded format.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
An elite trainer kit would work. Its like a fat pack on mtg, but a bit better. It's 8 booster packs, a ton of energy, at least 60 sleeves, 6 dice and a few other things. Should be right in you price range. Otherwise, most big box stores and game shops should have the big bundles that have special ex cards and a few booster as well. There are also tins too, which come with an ex Pokemon and like 4 packs, all in a tin box.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
That deck is pretty good in the theme deck format, but nowhere else. Ex Pokemon can regularly do that much or more damage with one attack. This game is loving insane.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
http://www.pokebeach.com/2016/12/collection-sun-and-moon-sets-leaking

SO pokebeach has the translated list for what we should see in Sun and Moon, and it looks pretty drat fun. GX pokemon are a very tuned down version of EX and I love it. Just have to wait for standard to be S&M forward to really get the most o it.

The differences for GX vs EX are:

GX pokemon have less HP overall

GX moves are usable once per game, but aren't super ball busting to deal with.

GX pokemon aren't always basic(i.e. Umbreon GX is a stage one that evolves off of eevee).

They also didn't give Professor kukui the normal professor effect, which I love.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

Lorak posted:

I would argue more, overall.
I think you might be right, the basic GX's have what feels like a tiny bit less HP then normal power house EX's, but the stage 1s have about the same as your average EX, while the stage 2's have mega hp levels. So GX's might average a bit higher because of that. Which is actually a good thing now that I think about it, since a lot of the GX pokemon can't one shot each other as much. There's a few execeptions, but it's not the standard right now. I like these new cards, and I wish the EX's would go away sooner so we could play with GXs more.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

Fritzler posted:

Moon and Sun stuff looks cool. I want Crobat and Espeon GX. In PTCG Online news: there is a special Pikachu tournament this weekend with Pikachu gold sleeves and deck boxes to the tournament winner. I'm in the middle of making my Volcanion standard deck, but no reason I can't try it in expanded. I'm missing a few cards if anyone has extra of these (Parallel City, Trainers' Mail, Float Stone, Vs. Seeker). I think I may get the second two from a Rayquaza vs. Keldeo code - so mainly looking for 1x Parallel City and 1x Trainers' Mail if anyone has them extra. I don't have much to trade, but let me know! There's a couple other commons/uncommons I'm still looking for other decks I want to make eventually as well.

Awesome, I've been playing expanded since rotation, I haven't been keeping up with getting standard cards, so I have a mewtwo/darkrai EX deck for real stuff, and a BKT gengar/trevennant BREAK deck for fun stuff, though I'm not sure which I want to take. They rayquaza keldeo decks look really good, especially if you double up the keldeo one.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
Nice! I haven't played a pre-release since breakpoint. Have the changes made it more fun? I remember people would just cheese the deckbuilding if they pulled an ex, by just playing that and 39 energies.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
Yea, a water deck is going to be even better with that ninetails and regice if you want to counter ex's.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
Will that be fast enough to our run decicueye/vileplume though? The new lurantis promo is going to make grass a bit better outside of decidueye as well.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
Buying codes is perfect. You can even buy them from online stores like troll and toad dot com. The best sets to grab right now would be sun and moon and guardians rising. Guardians is one of the best sets on a long long time. Otherwise I'd grab roaring skies since it has shaymin ex, and that's worth a good amount for trading online. Any other packs would depend on which format you want to play.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

Zodack posted:

Roaring Skies is strongly suspected of rotating out of the standard format very soon, though. It is a great set, but if you want to play standard keep that in mind.

If roaring skies somehow doesn't leave standard. I think people would riot.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

PMush Perfect posted:

Edit Trainers' Mail makes a decent replacement for VS Seeker. Regular Breakpoint Lapras might work for replacing Miltank? Not sure.

Isn't trainer's mail leaving too?

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
Yes it sucks that most of the Pokemon sites require a subscription...

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

PMush Perfect posted:

Care to explain the suggestions? (Definitely doing VS Seeker, though, forgot that was still legal.)

If you're going for standard, vs seeker isn't legal anymore.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

Star Man posted:

What's this I've heard about Tapu Lele GX likely getting a reprint in some kind of box set? My FLGS owner told me that they tend to reprint expensive as hell cards, but he's also notorious for being a loving idiot. But I would like to not pay ~$45 a hit for Tapu Lele GX and would be willing to wait if that's true. I know that it got reprinted in a supplemental Japanese set, but the release schedule and supplements for Japanese cards is different than it is abroad.

Probably misunderstanding that there is a Tapu Lele box set coming, but it's not a GX. That or he misunderstood that the promo non GX tapu lele got a reprint in the latest japanese set, but as a fairy type. Either way, you're probably still better off just buying GR packs haha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

X_ThePerfect posted:

I haven’t played in a while, but I was wondering. Is there any kind of workable deck with the sun and moon eevee?

I’m a big fan of eeveelutions but with only three available it doesn’t seem that great.

Edit: three in standard anyway.

Sylveon GX was big for a while, before gardevoir gx came out. It's still a thing though, usually played with gardevoir.

• Locked thread