Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Someone I play Magic with bought a box and a half of Burning Shadows and opened like six or seven Pokémon-GX cards. Now several of us want to mash Pokémon cards together. If we were to get sanctioned events started up, what's the format that's the most common to play in: Standard or Expanded?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Lorak posted:

Standard tends to be the more common format, but you can always check the Play! Pokemon events in your area on Pokemon.com to see what's up. Leagues vary; mine tends to be Standard-focused, but it's fine to play Expanded or Unlimited (as long as you let your opponent know, so that if they have a matching format deck, that they can switch to it). Another I attend does a hard restriction of Expanded, with no Unlimited allowed (and the variation that if you play Standard, let them know, and they might want to switch to their Standard deck).

We all got rid of our Pokémon cards a long, long time ago, so it's not like we're going to be ripping out our Haymaker decks like it's 1999 again.

I think that we're going to be limited to mostly what's available in-store to buy from sealed product, though I would like to get singles as soon as I can. So Standard it is.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Lorak posted:

For an accessible, though not perfect, way to make a deck from sealed product, take two copies of a theme deck, and put the best cards from one into another. There's a thread on another site that offers recommendations for you on this front, though the update schedule can be erratic.

The other recommendation would be to just go the singles route. Find the most commonly-used singles in decks, grab three or four for most of 'em, and swap them from deck to deck as need be. Just be aware the new Standard format, in less than a month, will exclude cards from before Ancient Origins, unless they are reprints of cards that are in sets from after that.

Yeah, it looks like it's XY Breakthrough and forward.

If this goes beyond just an amusing curiosity, I'd probably do it the same way I do with Magic: get a playset of a card that I want, get a box of the same kind of sleeve that I like, and just sleeve up the things I play with in those. No sleeve changing, just swap from one stack of cards to another.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
God I wish there was an MTGGoldfish or Channel Fireball equivalent for Pokémon. poo poo, even an MTGSalvation equivalent would be awesome.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Lorak posted:

I don't know what those are, but have you looked at OmniPoke?

They're websites for Magic that provide decklists and information for free.

No, I don't want to watch videos. I want to just read a list.

edit: oh god the MTGGoldfish boys are expanding into Pokémon. This is exactly the kind of thing I needed: decklists and TCGPlayer average prices on cards to get an idea of what I'm spending.

http://www.pokegoldfish.com/

Star Man fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Sep 29, 2017

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Holy poo poo. The place I play at decided to settle with Expanded as the tournament format because there's a lot of old sealed product still available and it's just easier to deal with the bigger card pool to keep from scaring any kids off (now if only we had a Modern scene for Magic). I was looking at deck lists and saw that Computer Search sells for a poo poo load of money and that a Base Set 1 or 2 edition is not legal for play.

What a bunch of loving horse poo poo.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

PMush Perfect posted:

Nostalgia's a hell of a drug.

I'm used to outrageous card prices thanks to Magic and DBZ. They're dumb, but I get it. But now allowing old editions of Computer Search just because they added ACE SPEC to it is a whole 'nother level of dumb.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Captain Fargle posted:

You mean because the rules changed and old editions of Computer Search aren't properly categorised as an Item Card?

Not trying to be flippant. Just trying to understand the terminology.

Look, here are the original and Boundaries Crossed editions of Computer Search:

The ability of the card is the same. The BCR printing adds the reminder text that you have to have at least two cards in hand and has been updated to be an ACE SPEC Trainer card. It adds the rules text that there can only be a single card that's got the ACE SPEC type in your deck. The game's official rules don't allow for old editions of cards to be used if they get reprinted if the reprint has enough extra text on it to make it different. The card functions exactly the same, but now it just has a deck restriction, which somehow makes it different enough that cards printed in Base Set or Base Set 2 can't be played in Expanded. It's just lovely when a card like Potion has had its rules text changed to heal 30 damage instead of 20, but editions printed before Black and White are allowed to be played still and heal 30 damage instead of the 20 damage that's printed on them. That's a significant change, even though all that changed about the card's rules was a single digit.

In Magic, at least, even cards with obsolete card types like "Interrupt" were all changed through rules errata to be the card type "Instant" because the batch was eliminated when the the stack was introduced in Sixth Edition in 1999. A card called Opt that just got reprinted in the latest set, Ixalan, now has the ability to scry. The original edition was given rules errata to scry because the card's ability was the same thing as a card ability created a few years later, so it was changed. The new edition just reflects that change. I'm sure if Professor Oak were ever reprinted, it would gain the subtype Supporter.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I bought a Shining Legends trainer box today and one of the packs had a Zoroark GX in it. I am going to relive my Wigglytuff days through this pocket man, yes I am.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
What's this I've heard about Tapu Lele GX likely getting a reprint in some kind of box set? My FLGS owner told me that they tend to reprint expensive as hell cards, but he's also notorious for being a loving idiot. But I would like to not pay ~$45 a hit for Tapu Lele GX and would be willing to wait if that's true. I know that it got reprinted in a supplemental Japanese set, but the release schedule and supplements for Japanese cards is different than it is abroad.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
In Magic, there's a card called The Scarab God that is $45 on the secondary market. When it rotates out of Standard, its price will be cut in half or more because it only has a home in a casual format and not in any tournament sanctioned formats like Modern or Legacy. It will hold some value, but not like it has now. I'm used to thr idea of paying a lot of money for singles in Magic, but if a card's worth a gazillion dollars because it's only good in a format with rotation and useless in the eternal formats, then I tend to just avoid it and play a different deck.

Tapu Lele GX is a thing in Expanded, so I know that I can get a lot of mileage out of it.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I have three copies of Tapu Lele GX now and I have no idea what deck I want to make with them. How much longer until I break down and hand over the money for one of the subscription-based websites?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Matsuri posted:

Oh, I definitely like playing competitively. Is there a place where I can learn the meta better so I can at least predict what certain decks are trying to do, or is it "really everyone plays Lele and the rest doesn't really matter as much"? Because it's really hard to get those and I really don't feel like buying 40+ pack codes just to get one Lele.

Don't buy packs to get cards. This is true for paper collectible/trading card games and digital cards. Ever ever ever ever ever.

If you ever want a particular single, find another person to trade with or someone that sells digital Pokémon cards.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Matsuri posted:

Hmm. Do you know any good vendors? I just thought what people did was essentially trade pack codes for cards in the trade center. Price of being naďve, I suppose.

I don't know of any major Pokémon TCG Online vendors because I do not play the digital version. I know that I've seen digital copies of Tapu Lele GX on eBay going for around $15. From the descriptions I've read, you pay for the card on eBay and provide your account name to the seller. They will find you and try to initiate a trade with you at an arranged time. They offer the card you paid for and you just have to offer a junk common.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Fritzler posted:

This is technically against the TOS and people have been banned/suspended for it. It is not against the rules to buy codes for packs and then trade those packs for Lele. I believe the latter would also be cheaper.

Edit: I don’t care if you do it, just FYI

Are users able to trade digital packs?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I finally got all the cards together for a Garbodor/Dramp GX deck. Here we go!

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I seem to play with people at my FLGS that really don't like the fact that I have Tapu Lele or Zoroark-GX.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I like playing Pokémon cards and all but I think I'm going to let go of these cards. I'm the type of person that prefers being able to play with a competitive crowd and I feel like an rear end in a top hat for beating up on a more casual group of people. It also turns out the guy that runs the store I play Pokémon and Magic at is a scumbag that uses player information from people not participating in events that night to inflate his number of tournament participants. I know that with Magic, Wizards allows for more product allotment and better deals if a store can gather bigger crowds for events, and I wouldn't be surprised if the Pokémon Company does the same.

What a shag :(

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Matsuri posted:

I saw you mention that in the Magic thread. gently caress that, man, it'd make me want to bow out too.

I'd like to play Pokemon on paper, but is it weird that I don't really feel like investing the money into it when I'll happily do that and then some for Magic, even though I don't go out to play as often as I used to? That, and I've seen the crowd for Pokemon games at my LGSs-- a lot of them are kids and I don't really feel right being my Spike-y self and stomping them with high tier decks.

Maybe sell your cards and use some of that money to come build decks online and play? It's obviously not quite the same, but I have a hell of a lot more fun playing PCTGO than I do MTGO.

I'm probably just going to send them in to Cool Stuff Inc. and trade them in for expensive Modern staples that I want. I already did that with a bunch of Standard cards I had in Magic right before Iconic Masters released in November.

I don't have anything against the online version of the Pokémon TCG, but it seems to be a bit more of a hassle to sell a collection if I ever needed to compared to MTGO.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Matsuri posted:

jesus christ this dude had the most obnoxious deck and the fact that literally all of it was completely blinged out made it that much more obnoxious

I know that it's just a matter of pointing the cursor over a card to review it, but god drat do those rainbow foils look hard to tell apart.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Matsuri posted:

Four Decidueye-GX (ping ping ping ping) and 2 Zoroark-GX as card filter and finisher. I don't think this dude even had anything but double colorless in his deck; he never used the Decidueyes for anything but the pinging. So loving annoying and slow to sit through.

EDIT: My mistake, 3 of each. More proof that the full rainbow set was loving hard to distinguish.

Even if the reason is to max out the secondary market value of the deck, people like to do that poo poo because it scares and confuses others. It's like playing with a completely foreign-language deck; you can confuse the poo poo out of people with it if they aren't paying attention.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Alter Reality Games accepted my trade-in and I've got $240 worth of ARG funny money to blow on their website for Magic cards.

It was fun while it lasted.

• Locked thread