Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
I opened about 300 boosters over the last two days and made my first deck today, hooray! I've gone 5-1 in random vs matches but I see the OP says I have maybe twice as much energy as I should have? How are people running decks with such low amounts of energy, or are you stuffing your trainer pools with energy searches and energy retrievals?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Toshimo posted:

Despite what the OP says, the average deck does not have less than 10 energy. Most fair decks (ones that rely on drawing and playing cards normally) probably start with 18-20 energy. It's not until you get into hyper-specialized decks with a bunch of combos, crazy amounts of card draw, and discard pile recursion, that you see those sorts of <10 energy decks.

I figured as much. I've seen some really impressive decks running with a ridiculously low energy count by running very tight strategies relying on one card actually using any energy and every other Pokémon sitting on the bench for abilities, but I'm glad to hear that's not the only valid deck configuration!

I'm currently running with a deck based around Trevenant Break, with Metwo EX and Mega Mewtwo EX for backup. There's an Aegislash in there too to mop up anything that didn't get taken out by Trevenant Break's Silent Fear. Four of those Psychic energies that reduce retreat cost, two of the stadiums that reduce energy cost of attacks... The rest is mostly filler with the usual Supporter cards and a few Evosodas. I'll grab a deck list tomorrow if anyone's interested in helping me tweak it? I haven't built a Pokémon deck for about 11 years! I know that running a single colour deck isn't the smartest move, but there were just too many awesome psychic types in this block :v:

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
Yesssss

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

rlloyd3 posted:

Discovered this yesterday and started playing, after having quit the TCG shortly after Team Rocket came out (so like...15? years ago). Holy gently caress is this scratching a huge nostalgia itch.

Team Rocket was the best God drat expansion. The art on those was sweet as hell. I quit same as you, in the Gym Leaders set. The game's changed quite a bit!

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Poison Mushroom posted:

As a general rule, if you get two of a theme deck, and mash together the best cards from it, you usually get one pretty decently playable deck for online stuff. The weakness of the precon decks is that they dabble in too many Pokemon lines, instead of just playing a bunch of a few good ones. They also tend to not have 4 of the best Trainers, either.

The other problem with playing Theme decks online is that you forget that the modifications you made in real life don't appear in the game :v: I spent ages trying to draw Vanilluxe in the Druddigon deck playing online before I realised it's not in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Asehujiko posted:

Does this game let you get older cards or is it the most recent x years only? I want to run a deck of nothing but the OG hitmonchans, scythers and electabuzzes like I'm 10 again.

Inspired by this post I decided to dig through my cupboard to see how many of my cards I still had. I'm missing 5 out of 102 cards in the Base Set :smith: Related: Does anyone want to sell me a Scoop Up, Full Heal, Maintenance, Pokémon Flute and Revive? :v:
God drat though the art on these cards. It's strikingly different to the modern cards. I also dug out some of my movie promotional cards and they're all in a folder together now :3:

• Locked thread