Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.
I'm just getting in at the ground floor, grinding out Theme Deck VS and Tournaments, and using the booster packs to trade for more booster packs, but so far this game seems really scarcely documented online? I can't really find any information on the current meta, or constructed decks, outside of the top, top-tier stuff.

That's probably a really, really good thing for savvy players, but I might just be wrong, and looking in stupid places? I'm looking for something that cam grind out the VS ladder quicker than the Garchomp Theme Deck can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.
Thanks for the link to the Facebook group. I'll scour that for info later :D

I think Mach Strike has to be the best deck. It has a 2-card combo that kills almost any card in the format, another 2-card combo which is literally "tutor for any card", and can be used even if both Pokemon are on the bench, or used twice per turn if you have both Lucarios out. The tutor effect feels like you're playing a card game in the Yugioh anime, where you can constantly pull out the one terrible Item or Supporter card which just happens to be the one thing that gets you the win.

It's a crazy Starter Deck that feels like playing Type-1 MTG, and from what I gather, the constructed game is so full of similar effects that I'm absolutely sold on giving it a solid go for the next few weeks :D

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

PMush Perfect posted:

I mean, I've been playing competitive card games on and off for something like a decade now, I'm just not as confident about my Garchomp deck as I was a couple weeks ago.

I smashed two starter decks together, traded for the Talonflame, and I'm having a blast playing it. It seems like the kind of deck where that will reward a player who spends the time to learn it intimately, and can think two steps ahead in terms of what to fetch with Talonflame and Lucario.

If you're in any doubt, then tweak the Trainer Pool slightly, to find the balance between cards that help you get your Cynthia combo off more reliably, and cards that pro-actively stop the opponent achieving their goals. It's probably going to be a tough balance, but very rewarding.

I can't imagine playing this deck in real life, though. I'd spend 50% of each match shuffling my deck.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I'm still grinding with the Garchomp / Talonflame deck posted a few pages ago, but I'm running into a lot of Glaceon-EX.

Any suggestions for a 'basic' beatstick to throw in, that gets around Crystal Ray?

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

Matsuri posted:

Safeguard Carbink! It's on the VS ladder right now.

Trip report :

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

PleasantDirge posted:

I traded the packs matsuri traded me for the shell of the deck, got a list? I saw Donald playing the deck on stream and it seemed pretty fun.

No idea who came up with it, but it was posted a few pages ago, and it's one of my favorite TCG decks of all time. It's super elegant, has a decent toolbox, can fetch solutions, and deals 220 damage every turn.

Carbink gets the job done, although I was kind of expecting to buy some GX thing with a massive attack, using the 40 Guardians Rising packs I've amassed, while playing this thing ^^;

4 x Talonflame (Aero Blitz)
1 x Carbink (Safeguard)

4 x Gible (Ascension)
2 x Gabite (Ascension)
4 x Garchomp (Royal Blades)

2 x Riolu (Detect)
2 x Lucario (Precognitive Aura)

1 x Field Blower
2 x Professor's Letter
4 x Puzzle Of Time
4 x Rare Candy
1 x Rescue Stretcher