Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

lol

"It's complicated, here's a couple thousand words that boil down to (a) the gendergap exists and (b) it's because of discrimination, but because nobody is willing to come out and say they hate women, we'll talk to some Harvard economists for 45 minutes."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

TROIKA CURES GREEK posted:

Yea, this is a great point- if the whole 70 cents on the dollar was remotely true you'd see managers falling over themselves to hire women.

This would only be true if all hiring managers were absolutely perfect and logical machines and not human beings with emotions and prejudices. So this argument falls apart immediately under the barest amount of scrutiny.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
And on that note:

http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2015/12/meritocracy/418074/

quote:

Women, ethnic minorities, and non-U.S.-born employees received a smaller increase in compensation compared with white men, despite holding the same jobs, working in the same units, having the same supervisors, the same human capital, and importantly, receiving the same performance score. Despite stating that “performance is the primary bases for all salary increases,” the reality was that women, minorities, and those born outside the U.S. needed “to work harder and obtain higher performance scores in order to receive similar salary increases to white men.”

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

Who What Now posted:

This would only be true if all hiring managers were absolutely perfect and logical machines and not human beings with emotions and prejudices. So this argument falls apart immediately under the barest amount of scrutiny.

Patriarchy is a hell of a drug

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Who What Now posted:

You're doing this wrong. Instead of treating the rationality of managers as a statement that can be evaluated based on evidence you need to just assume, axiomatically, that all economic actors are perfectly rational. Then, based on this assumption and a few other untested assumptions you deduce conclusions about how the market behaves. These models are far too perfect and elegant for us to risk damaging them by introducing real world observations or data to the glory that is Econ101.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

Helsing posted:

You're doing this wrong. Instead of treating the rationality of managers as a statement that can be evaluated based on evidence you need to just assume, axiomatically, that all economic actors are perfectly rational. Then, based on this assumption and a few other untested assumptions you deduce conclusions about how the market behaves. These models are far too perfect and elegant for us to risk damaging them by introducing real world observations or data to the glory that is Econ101.
Also, it's obvious that no black or gay customers were ever discriminated against because the free market clearly dictates that business owners don't do anything that would make them earn less money. Customers = money. QED

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Defenestration posted:

Also, it's obvious that no black or gay customers were ever discriminated against because the free market clearly dictates that business owners don't do anything that would make them earn less money. Customers = money. QED

And if they do discriminate, just don't shop there any more. Because a competitor who doesn't discriminate will magically appear out of thin air and you can just shop there instead. All hail the Invisible Hand!

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Sometime soon I will make a thread about what I call the 'New New Economy'. I think the wage gap and income inequality have the same solution - a national system of pay grades. Compensation can no longer be kept 'secret' to play individuals against each other and a 'public shaming' mechanism can bring executive pay to a reasonable proportion compared to the janitor.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

computer parts posted:

It is important to emphasize that the women already in the STEM/high paying fields are still much more likely to switch out of those fields than men, and that's primarily due to the work culture.

So like a bunch of companies complain about the "pipeline" where they aren't getting enough female applicants, but even if that were fixed there's still major issues in the work environment that cause women to leave.

In a male-dominated trade, managers tend to start assuming that workers don't have wombs. So they set it up so it's hard to do the job if you are a primary caregiver to children. Think of the video game industry - crunch time and the culture of hanging out, doing nerd stuff after hours, make it really hard for a mother to be really part of the team. If there were a lot of women on the team, people would start to remember that kids exist. Female-dominated industries tend to have more of a "we leave on the dot of five" culture, not because women are lazy, but because daycares close at 6pm. This would be a bit of a culture change for many male-dominated industries, which have a sort of vibe that clocking out is for wimps who need more coffee.

The pipeline is definitely an issue, though. The time to recruit a coder is 10 years old. Not many people get really into code if they start after their early teens. It seems to require the brain malleability of a kid to really click. Many academic subjects are like this. To get women into STEM you need to persuade girls that STEM is fun. And our culture is really bad at that. It's hard to change culture at the click of a finger, no matter how many cool punk girl hackers you write into TV shows.

Luxury Communism
Aug 22, 2015

by Lowtax

BarbarianElephant posted:

In a male-dominated trade, managers tend to start assuming that workers don't have wombs. So they set it up so it's hard to do the job if you are a primary caregiver to children. Think of the video game industry - crunch time and the culture of hanging out, doing nerd stuff after hours, make it really hard for a mother to be really part of the team. If there were a lot of women on the team, people would start to remember that kids exist. Female-dominated industries tend to have more of a "we leave on the dot of five" culture, not because women are lazy, but because daycares close at 6pm. This would be a bit of a culture change for many male-dominated industries, which have a sort of vibe that clocking out is for wimps who need more coffee.

The actual solution to this is doing away with the notion that women are in any way the "better" or "default" primary caregiver. The fact that "women on the team" are what remind people that "kids exist" is itself merely symptomatic of a much deeper level of cultural misogyny.

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

TROIKA CURES GREEK posted:

Yes OP, after statistical controls are performed the gap disappears. Problem is there are lots of poorly designed studies that fail to do this which is why you still hear about it.

Eh, last I read it was a 7-10% gap, not 30, let me go digging later this week when I have some downtime.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

McDowell posted:

Sometime soon I will make a thread about what I call the 'New New Economy'. I think the wage gap and income inequality have the same solution - a national system of pay grades. Compensation can no longer be kept 'secret' to play individuals against each other and a 'public shaming' mechanism can bring executive pay to a reasonable proportion compared to the janitor.

If the only way your plan can work is by prepending it with "After glorious revolution" I think you need a new plan.

anne frank fanfic
Oct 31, 2005
The wage gap exists, but its women who get paid more than men as of 2015.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

HootTheOwl posted:

If the only way your plan can work is by prepending it with "After glorious revolution" I think you need a new plan.

Actually I am talking about something that could be done legislatively if there was political will - but it would probably need to go as far as a package of Constitutional Amendments or a Convention. But I will offer Saint Hillary an offering and atone for my sin of imagination.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

anne frank fanfic posted:

The wage gap exists, but its women who get paid more than men as of 2015.

[citation needed]

ReadyToHuman
Jan 8, 2016

computer parts posted:

- The highest paying jobs are predominantly male (and women tend to quit these jobs faster than men)

Amusingly, when a job is regarded as a job women go for, it's valued less.

Software engineering was valued far less when it was mostly done by women and men were predominantly in hardware, for one example.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

ReadyToHuman posted:

Software engineering was valued far less when it was mostly done by women and men were predominantly in hardware, for one example.

Computer programming in the age of the ENIAC was very different from computer programming now. Conflating them is naive or dishonest. The work that the women computer programmers did during WWII was pretty menial and was stuff like opening/closing switches.

ReadyToHuman
Jan 8, 2016

silence_kit posted:

Computer programming in the age of the ENIAC was very different from computer programming now. Conflating them is naive or dishonest. The work that the women computer programmers did during WWII was pretty menial and was stuff like opening/closing switches.

Weirdly this didn't end with ENIAC

and lol yes it's all opening/closing switches in one manner or another, in varying degrees of complexity.

ReadyToHuman
Jan 8, 2016

Yes programming now with high-level natural languages and module libraries and interpreters is very different from having to code reams and reams of machine language. Menial.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

Who What Now posted:

[citation needed]

Respected journal "Things MRAs Actually Believe" of course.

Lyesh
Apr 9, 2003

silence_kit posted:

ENIAC programs look like this:

That's completely hosed up and insane, but it's recognizable as something even more basic than machine code. These programs were written by women who had degrees in math and were able to calculate ballistics equations by hand. If you want to call that menial, then you can't get away with calling this not menial:

Lyesh fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Feb 1, 2016

ReadyToHuman
Jan 8, 2016

Lyesh posted:

That's completely hosed up an insane, but it's recognizable as something even more basic than machine code. These programs were written by women who had degrees in math and were able to calculate ballistics equations by hand. If you want to call that menial, then you can't get away with calling this not menial:

Dang it's almost like work is less valued when it's mostly women doing it??

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Lyesh posted:

That's completely hosed up and insane, but it's recognizable as something even more basic than machine code. These programs were written by women who had degrees in math and were able to calculate ballistics equations by hand. If you want to call that menial, then you can't get away with calling this not menial:

I'm not sure you understand what menial is. This isn't a pissing contest, I've had to do that sort of thing before in processor design classes. It's not particularly hard, it's detail oriented and you have to be trained in it but it's the sort of trained monkey thing we typically do once these days and then write a program to handle it from there. It's like old school human computers, we got rid of them when we could get electronic computers to do the same thing.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

McDowell posted:

Just talk about pay with your coworkers, in actual real dollar amounts. Nothing is legally keeping it secret (the opposite, in fact!)

That said, nothing particularly bad happens in Sweden where everyone's pay is a matter of public record.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
If I have seen further than others, it is because I have stood on the shoulders of trained monkeys. I mean women.

Lyesh
Apr 9, 2003

NovemberMike posted:

I'm not sure you understand what menial is. This isn't a pissing contest, I've had to do that sort of thing before in processor design classes. It's not particularly hard, it's detail oriented and you have to be trained in it but it's the sort of trained monkey thing we typically do once these days and then write a program to handle it from there. It's like old school human computers, we got rid of them when we could get electronic computers to do the same thing.

There WAS NO TRAINING for them though. They came up with the notation and wrote the programs, etc. That's the hard part that you do once. That's programming.

You also don't get to say it's not a pissing contest when people in a male-dominated field are trying to justify the high salaries and prestige of their field as compared to the similar things that happened in the field when it was dominated by women and low salary/prestige. Writing programs in assembler (let alone machine language) is tedious and detail-oriented, but it sure as hell isn't menial.

Lyesh fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Feb 1, 2016

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

ShadowHawk posted:

Just talk about pay with your coworkers, in actual real dollar amounts. Nothing is legally keeping it secret (the opposite, in fact!)

That said, nothing particularly bad happens in Sweden where everyone's pay is a matter of public record.

Im some (if not most) work places in America this will literally gently caress you.

It needs to become a political plank.

walgreenslatino
Jun 2, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
The argument that "well, if there really was a wage gap then managers would be falling over themselves to hire women" doesn't make any sense, because the whole reason for the alleged wage gap is women are perceived as less capable, less desirable employees. Why would there be a lower employment rate for women if their value as employees is seen as less?

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

ReadyToHuman posted:

You've got the cause and effect backwards here I think, historically a job has been considered "for women" because of it's low value, not the other way around.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Jarmak posted:

You've got the cause and effect backwards here I think, historically a job has been considered "for women" because of it's low value, not the other way around.

That's not true (or at least not in all cases): when the industrial revolution came around and factory work became the standard way of earning a living, female factory workers were typically paid just under half of what the male factory workers were paid. These were new jobs that didn't exist before the creation of manufactories, and both male and female workers were employed in the same jobs, especially in the creation of wool and cotton goods, and shoe-making, as well as packaging in several industries. In all of those cases the average wage for a female worker is often less than half of that for male workers.

ReadyToHuman
Jan 8, 2016

Jarmak posted:

You'd think so, but it turns out no.

In Russia, for another example, the majority of Doctors are women, and it's one of the lowest-paid professions they have.

http://www.pravdareport.com/society/stories/18-10-2010/115411-doctors_russia_usa-0/

ReadyToHuman fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Feb 1, 2016

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Luxury Communism posted:

The actual solution to this is doing away with the notion that women are in any way the "better" or "default" primary caregiver. The fact that "women on the team" are what remind people that "kids exist" is itself merely symptomatic of a much deeper level of cultural misogyny.

Sadly that would result in a worsening of working conditions because the partner in the relationship would then get the kids and the woman thus is able to put in too much time in at work.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

ReadyToHuman posted:

In Russia, for another example, the majority of Doctors are women, and it's one of the lowest-paid professions they have.

http://www.pravdareport.com/society/stories/18-10-2010/115411-doctors_russia_usa-0/
You assume doctors aren't considered low value in Russia.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

botany posted:

That's not true (or at least not in all cases): when the industrial revolution came around and factory work became the standard way of earning a living, female factory workers were typically paid just under half of what the male factory workers were paid. These were new jobs that didn't exist before the creation of manufactories, and both male and female workers were employed in the same jobs, especially in the creation of wool and cotton goods, and shoe-making, as well as packaging in several industries. In all of those cases the average wage for a female worker is often less than half of that for male workers.

I'm not sure what that has to do with what I said

edit: it's also just wrong, women generally worked different factory jobs then men, specifically they came into the factory workforce en mass with the invention of the power loom because the child labor that were the chief workers of that industry weren't tall enough to operate it.

ReadyToHuman posted:

This also doesn't address what I said at all, it's clearly considered a low value profession in Russia

Jarmak fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Feb 1, 2016

ReadyToHuman
Jan 8, 2016

A Buttery Pastry posted:

You assume doctors aren't considered low value in Russia.

That's actually the opposite of what any stringing together of my posts would deduce I assume

ReadyToHuman
Jan 8, 2016

Jarmak posted:

This also doesn't address what I said at all, it's clearly considered a low value profession in Russia

Weird how it is the same job but valued differently.

Weird.

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

walgreenslatino posted:

The argument that "well, if there really was a wage gap then managers would be falling over themselves to hire women" doesn't make any sense, because the whole reason for the alleged wage gap is women are perceived as less capable, less desirable employees. Why would there be a lower employment rate for women if their value as employees is seen as less?

Do you really think that in a country of 300 million people, there is not enough employers who wouldn't have the intelligence to exploit that particular gap if it was there?

I mean, while I'm no fan of the rich and wealthy, I'd feel dishonest if a starting assumption was "all employers and hiring managers are mouth-breathing idiots".

ReadyToHuman
Jan 8, 2016

It's an amusing resilient handwave, to watch unfolding.

Well see it isn't so much a wage gap as it is women just don't pursue high-value professions for some reason.

Well here's the same job in the same place different time periods, when the work was more difficult and more foundational and primarly women it was less valued, and here's the same job at the same time, in different places, and it's valued less where women do it more, for some reason.

Now, we could think "Huh there's a pattern of women's work being devalued" or we can just think those foolish women keep seeking out undervalued work. Dang it women! Stop doing that! You're making a wage gap!

Lyesh
Apr 9, 2003

Claverjoe posted:

Do you really think that in a country of 300 million people, there is not enough employers who wouldn't have the intelligence to exploit that particular gap if it was there?

I mean, while I'm no fan of the rich and wealthy, I'd feel dishonest if a starting assumption was "all employers and hiring managers are mouth-breathing idiots".

They don't have to be mouth-breathing idiots for there to be a gap. They just have to value being sexist and various other qualities that have nothing to do with job performance (notoriously difficult to measure).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
There are also cultural expectations that make women "bad workers"- it is acceptable, even somewhat expected for a father to be neglectful to their children because of work requirements, but women must balance between necessary childcare and appearing to be working too little, which is a difficult process that gets harder the higher up the ladder you move. As a consequence, a woman who puts in the same effort and time as a man is obviously neglecting her children if she has them, so she's definitely not the kind of person you want to work with. If she puts in adequate time for her children, she's not a hard worker.

If a woman doesn't have children, of course, this produces its own prejudices that work against her.

• Locked thread