Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

TROIKA CURES GREEK posted:

Yea, this is a great point- if the whole 70 cents on the dollar was remotely true you'd see managers falling over themselves to hire women.

This would only be true if all hiring managers were absolutely perfect and logical machines and not human beings with emotions and prejudices. So this argument falls apart immediately under the barest amount of scrutiny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Defenestration posted:

Also, it's obvious that no black or gay customers were ever discriminated against because the free market clearly dictates that business owners don't do anything that would make them earn less money. Customers = money. QED

And if they do discriminate, just don't shop there any more. Because a competitor who doesn't discriminate will magically appear out of thin air and you can just shop there instead. All hail the Invisible Hand!

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

anne frank fanfic posted:

The wage gap exists, but its women who get paid more than men as of 2015.

[citation needed]

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Claverjoe posted:

Do you really think that in a country of 300 million people, there is not enough employers who wouldn't have the intelligence to exploit that particular gap if it was there?

I mean, while I'm no fan of the rich and wealthy, I'd feel dishonest if a starting assumption was "all employers and hiring managers are mouth-breathing idiots".

They don't have to be mouth-breathing idiots to hold prejudices. Sexism is still incredibly pervasive in our society, particularly among the older people who make up hiring managers and/or small business owners.

E:f,b

E2:

Claverjoe posted:

Wouldn't the exploitation itself reflect in lower unemployment and higher percentage of participation in the labor market if it was 30% when everything else being equal, such as job choice?

Although why the gently caress do people keep bringing up the 30% rate when absolutely nobody ITT has claimed that as accurate?

Who What Now fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Feb 1, 2016

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Claverjoe posted:

Yes, and those held prejudices would encourage them to only pay for women at a lower rate, I'm fine with that statement. Why would prejudice be stuck at the line of "never hire women, they aren't any good at working".

Besides, my point was that the gap was largely about job choice, and the sexism behind that, not a 30% wage gap that is touted in most of the news articles I see.

My apologies, I was going off the 72% value that is often repeated in the media. Would you like to offer a percentage value for a starting point of discussion? I have zero issue going with a different starting point.

EDIT:To spell out where I'm coming from: I'm in agreement there is a wage gap, based largely in sexist attitudes, but that the origins are a bit more subtle than what is considered common wisdom.

Where are you still seeing that percentage lately? Every single serious source I've read in the last decade all say it's somewhere in the mid single digits range, between 4-7%. The only places I ever see 30% in this day and age is on MRA blogs bitching about how it's not actually 30% because *shits pants uncontrollably*.

Edit:

To be clear, I'm not disagreeing with what you're saying, I'm just confused as to who you're saying it too because almost every other poster here has already said the same things.

Who What Now fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Feb 1, 2016

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Radbot posted:

Addressing the racial wage gap is infinitely more important than addressing the gender wage gap. Women being "forced" to have kids and work is obviously less of an issue than a class of folks who get paid less no matter what choices they make.

Good thing it's not a zero-sum game?

Claverjoe posted:

Well, for examples of recent mainstream news articles I offer these two as examples:

http://money.cnn.com/2015/11/18/news/gender-pay-gap/

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/obama-announce-new-rules-closing-gender-pay-gap-n506941

So, how serious should we take mainstream media is the question I suppose. I don't think it is particularly contentious that the general narrative is shaped by the media conglomerates, and to ignore it is to write off our understanding of how the wage gap is perceived in popular discourse.

At the risk of appealing to in-group vanity, I'm perfectly happy to assume D&D is somewhat more informed, but not at the risk of not starting the discussion at the point that is presented by the popular media.

Fair enough. I guess it just seemed like you were trying to seriously dispel a myth for the benefit of people who aren't even in this thread. But if that's not the case then I apologize.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Radbot posted:

You seem to have missed the point, which was that there always seems to be a reason why minorities need to play second fiddle to social reforms that, just by happenstance, benefit the white population as much or more than minorities. Your explanation of why they need to take a back seat to women's issues was equally as tonedeaf as those of Berniebros, a common topic of discussion on this forum.

I'm not really sorry that I didn't personally interest you, but hopefully you're not too offended.

Who says they have to take a back seat? They can easily be pursued simultaneously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Radbot posted:

I don't think calling people out/bragging that you ignored them/posting screenshots of the Leper's Colony is kosher by D&D rules either, my fellow intransigent.

It's considered cheerleading, yes.

• Locked thread