Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Sometime soon I will make a thread about what I call the 'New New Economy'. I think the wage gap and income inequality have the same solution - a national system of pay grades. Compensation can no longer be kept 'secret' to play individuals against each other and a 'public shaming' mechanism can bring executive pay to a reasonable proportion compared to the janitor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

HootTheOwl posted:

If the only way your plan can work is by prepending it with "After glorious revolution" I think you need a new plan.

Actually I am talking about something that could be done legislatively if there was political will - but it would probably need to go as far as a package of Constitutional Amendments or a Convention. But I will offer Saint Hillary an offering and atone for my sin of imagination.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

ShadowHawk posted:

Just talk about pay with your coworkers, in actual real dollar amounts. Nothing is legally keeping it secret (the opposite, in fact!)

That said, nothing particularly bad happens in Sweden where everyone's pay is a matter of public record.

Im some (if not most) work places in America this will literally gently caress you.

It needs to become a political plank.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Helsing posted:

There's probably a related issue here of corporate culture often demanding insane working hours. It's kind of surreal when you realize that the economy simultaneously over works people and yet cannot find enough jobs for the entire populace. Some of that can at attributed to a mismatch in skills but I also think part of the problem is that there are people who work to live and then there are people who live to work, and right now much of the world seems to be run by the people who live to work. They are quite happy pulling 60-70+ hour weeks as a computer joceky, investment bankers or lawyers or CEOs because frankly they have no life worth living outside their workplace, but unfortunately they're setting norms that the rest of the economy is supposed to follow.

I remember hearing some gossip about a guy who does investment banking but didn't like to work weekends. The rest of his office thought this was totally bizarre and other house wives in his community marveled at the fact that he would be at home with his kids rather than making more money at the office. This is a guy who was already unquestionably in the top 1% of the income distribution (realistically, probably the 1% of the 1%) but people were still confused that he wasn't spending every waking moment trying to get even more cash.

At least the old feudal aristocracy seemed to live a life worth envying.

Achievers (20% of population) include the leaders in business, the professions, and government. Competent, self-reliant, efficient, Achievers tend to be materialistic, hard-working, oriented to fame and success, and comfort loving. These are the affluent people who have created the economic system in response to the American dream. As such, they are the defenders of the economic status quo. Achievers are among the best adjusted of Americans, being well satisfied with their place in the system. Only 5% of Achievers come from minority backgrounds.

Achievers are psychologically more advanced than Emulators in having a wider spectrum of values, in being more open and trusting, and in clearly having brought their ambitions into better alignment with reality. Achievers are supporters of technology and are open to progress, but they resist radical change. After all, they are on top and too radical a change might shake them off!

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Your manager could be in your poo poo - other employees might freak out - you get odd / fewer shifts, etc.

Basically anything they can to punish you for talking turkey and possibly organizing short of the legal thresholds of retribution.

Mc Do Well fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Feb 8, 2016

• Locked thread