Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Addressing the racial wage gap is infinitely more important than addressing the gender wage gap. Women being "forced" to have kids and work is obviously less of an issue than a class of folks who get paid less no matter what choices they make.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

SedanChair posted:

That's nice, that forms a nice yin-yang with the people who would say the opposite. Your powers combined, you'll make sure no progress is made on either issue.

What can I say, I'm a progressive.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Helsing posted:

I don't know what your particular intention is making that post but I find quite often these kinds of comments are used opportunistically to try and shut down any criticism of the status quo. "Oh how can you be talking about this issue when there's some other issue that you aren't addressing! First fix that issue!"

There are some real problems with lefty or progressive groups focusing on one category of discrimination, such as gender or class, at the expense of others, such as race. It's a particularly big problem in America where race plays so deeply into every other form of politics. But, having acknowledged this, I don't think it follows that we have to choose between addressing racial discrimination rather than gender discrimination, because by far the most effective strategy is to try and fix both of them (and a number of class related issues as well) at the same time, by building effective grass roots and populist movements.

Holy poo poo, this could be BernieBros.txt right here.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
No I'm just saying that is pretty much the exact thing Bernie supporters said to TNC re: reparations.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

ReadyToHuman posted:

So from this I take it to mean the wage gap disappears entirely when women don't decide to have kids?

It narrows significantly, yes. When that's taken into account, the disparity between women and racial minorities becomes enormous, and it makes you wonder why people are focusing on such a small gap when such a huge one exists.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

ReadyToHuman posted:

Hmm so by "yes" you mean "no."

Interesting.

Sorry for disagreeing that narrowing a single-digit gap is less important than narrowing a double-digit one. Or is it just that white women stand to be helped more than minority women that compels you?

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
You seem to have missed the point, which was that there always seems to be a reason why minorities need to play second fiddle to social reforms that, just by happenstance, benefit the white population as much or more than minorities. Your explanation of why they need to take a back seat to women's issues was equally as tonedeaf as those of Berniebros, a common topic of discussion on this forum.

I'm not really sorry that I didn't personally interest you, but hopefully you're not too offended.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

ReadyToHuman posted:

Uh oh, the gap is still there within race too!

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0882775.html

Thanks for proving exactly what I'm saying - that white women still have it worlds better than any minority.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Voyager I posted:

It really is a shame that there's only so much progress to go around and any advancement in one issue must necessarily come at the expense of another related issue.

Last time I checked, progress does come incrementally and doesn't affect all issues equally. Don't get me wrong, I'd be for the "I'm for everything getting better at exactly the same pace" platform if it gelled with reality.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Helsing posted:

:lol:

I guess I should be surprised that trolling through obtuseness is a thing in D&D. The sad thing being it will definitely work because some dumb statements are just too enticing for posters not to reply to.

I don't think calling people out/bragging that you ignored them/posting screenshots of the Leper's Colony is kosher by D&D rules either, my fellow intransigent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Effectronica posted:

VHEM 4 life, brah.

You've got a problem with American capitalism, not antinatalism. Please though, blame the people that must adapt to our system, versus the system itself that rewards people for choosing not to have children.

Radbot fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Feb 8, 2016

• Locked thread