Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
One should probably consider the unemployment gap too, on top of the wage gap. On that front, men seem to be hit harder in recessions, which from what I can tell is only partly because of male-dominated industries being more likely to shed workers. If those jobs which do disappear in greater numbers during recessions (or the current oil glut) are in like oil and gas, which I believe pay really well given the level of education/training required, wouldn't that mean a volatile job market in those industries would have an out-sized effect on male wages? Not saying this offsets the difference necessarily, but it does make a certain kind of sense that there would be higher pay in industries where your job security is low.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

ReadyToHuman posted:

You'd think so, but it turns out no.

In Russia, for another example, the majority of Doctors are women, and it's one of the lowest-paid professions they have.

http://www.pravdareport.com/society/stories/18-10-2010/115411-doctors_russia_usa-0/
You assume doctors aren't considered low value in Russia.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

ReadyToHuman posted:

That's actually the opposite of what any stringing together of my posts would deduce I assume
Okay, let me rephrase it. You assume it's considered low value because it's a female dominated profession, when it could in fact be considered low value no matter the who dominates it, because the people running Russia don't give a poo poo about the people living in Russia and don't feel any pressure to even maintain an adequate healthcare system. (Since they can just go to Switzerland or whatever if they're sick.) The fact that it's considered low value could be why it's full of women though, as Jarmak said, as apparently women were substituted for men in the financial sector as soon as that came to be seen as high value.

• Locked thread