Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Pimpmust posted:

Hmm, thought I saw some interesting statistics/study on what happened when a formely female-dominated or male-dominated sector switched around (rather rapidly), like if there was suddenly a majority of male nurses within ~a decade, and what that meant for pay.
Can't recall which sector (or country) it was though.

There is also evidence of a "glass escalator." Men in female dominated professions are promoted much faster because of these gendered expectations. That is, even when a man wants to be an elementary school teacher, he will get promoted to administration much faster than women, for example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

rakovsky maybe posted:

The wage gap is the opposite for people under 30 though. Millennial women are paid more than men and have a higher percentage of college degrees. Men, especially black men, are being left behind.

That is, as far as I can tell, based on one study in the UK that was much hyped. Minority women are still far below everyone else in income even when controlling for credentials in the US. The higher percentage of college degrees doesn't do much to address the wage gap, since the main reasons for that are still related to how relatively closed skilled trade occupations still are for women (think plumbers, electricians, etc) and how low paying female dominated majors are (social work, nursing, etc).

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
And on that note:

http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2015/12/meritocracy/418074/

quote:

Women, ethnic minorities, and non-U.S.-born employees received a smaller increase in compensation compared with white men, despite holding the same jobs, working in the same units, having the same supervisors, the same human capital, and importantly, receiving the same performance score. Despite stating that “performance is the primary bases for all salary increases,” the reality was that women, minorities, and those born outside the U.S. needed “to work harder and obtain higher performance scores in order to receive similar salary increases to white men.”

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Jarmak posted:

I feel like this it's dying out a bit, though it may be personal anecdotes giving me a false impression. When I first married my wife I was still in the army (which is still in the 1950s when it comes to gender roles) and I got this a bit. But the thing is it doesn't even make sense by the sexist role logic, I always responded by saying "so you think a she should have married some rich super successful guy normally? Okay so the fact that she married me when I had nothing but looks and personality and the salary of an army private it's supposed to make me feel emasculated... how?"

Usually the response was a dumbfounded look. The whole concept it's dumb, old school gender roles make being the lesser economic partner an achievement as a man with even the slightest bit of critical thinking.

It's kind of amusing though because since I've become part of the student veteran community it seems like I see more and more the exact opposite, I literally walked into a veteran's lounge a month or two ago to about 5 guys gossiping about who had the girlfriend with the most promising or prestigious career.

I think the wage gap is a problem, but I honestly feel like it's an artifact of feminism not having been successful enough for long enough for large amounts of women to have moved into leadership roles that can typically take 20-30 years to reach. I know it's easy to say this as a man but I think by the end of this decade this will be all but gone.

I also admit my views have been coloured by being married to a women that I had a long and rather ugly fight with because she refused to identify as female in her law school application because she was too proud to stomach the idea of not beating out her male peers by pure academic merit. An argument I only won by playing the "you privileged gently caress this isn't a game, anyone I grew up with would literally kill for this opportunity" card.

So I guess I should also say my views are also coloured by having a substantial number of women in my life that are significantly more privileged then I.

But things are more complicated than that, even within prestigious careers. I work on labor issues within academia. One of the patterns in academia is that even as gender representation has started to even out across many fields, there is still a huge difference across types of universities. In particular, women are much more likely to be underrepresented in research universities when compared to teaching oriented universities. For a long time the thinking was that teaching oriented universities had lower research expectations, and therefore lower workloads, so women were self selecting into them. After further research, turns out that the workload difference is non-existent. Faculty at research universities work just as many hours as faculty in teaching intensive ones, though they do different things. So how come women end up in teaching oriented institutions much more frequently? One big reason is geographic mobility. To land a research oriented job, the person has to be willing to move across the country for a postdoc, then again for a tenure track job. And as it turns out partners/families are a lot less willing to relocate like this for the wife's job, as opposed to the husband's job. Since there are more teaching oriented universities, and they tend to have less requirements in terms of specialty, they end up being particularly attractive for geographically restricted women. I.e., women end up being a lot more likely to end up at the local community or liberal arts college because they will just want to hire a general biologist, while research universities will have a very narrow specialty requirement that would likely require someone to move halfway cross the country to land at a research university.

I personally know a case of a female scientist who gave up a job making 70k+ to teach at a local college making low 40s because her bank manager husband got transferred. Likewise, I know a former harvard associate professor who went to a state school because of her husband's career, despite the fact that harvard paid more than both their new jobs combined.

And while my work is focused specifically on academia, this is part of a broader pattern. Lot's of young people say they want their marriages to be egalitarian and share the burden of child-rearing and so on equally. But when that is not possible (be it because one career requires moving a lot, or because one career has long hours, etc), the fall back position still is man becomes the breadwinner.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/31/upshot/millennial-men-find-work-and-family-hard-to-balance.html?_r=0

• Locked thread