Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Weldon Pemberton
May 19, 2012

Instead of having slapfights about whether race or gender wage gaps are more important without providing any data, let's post a bit about the US racial wage gap as well. Here's what I can find from looking around, anyone who's more knowledgeable on the subject please chime in.

Here's a source comparing different races and genders' pay grades over time. This information is from multiple US government sources. As of 2015, black men make less than white women before controls. Black women fare worst of all, making 64% of a white man's salary before controls.

A study from the University of Wisconsin-Madison argued that about half of the black-white pay gap was due to "human capital and region", 20% was explained by the concentration of blacks in low-status occupations, and the rest is unexplained (but probably at least partially due to direct discrimination). Another in Social Science Quarterly found that blacks made less than whites working in the same industry. These studies are over 10 years old, though. In discussion on other races, White Latinos were found to make more than non-white Latinos (see the last link, this is regardless of immigration status). Obviously, discussion of Latinos has much to do with immigration in the general case, though. There doesn't seem to be much information on Native Americans, although they are the poorest of all. Asian-Americans are the only race that make more than whites.

There are many issues to discuss here. Besides discrimination, we have to take into account the concentration of different races in different fields, globalization, region (blacks are concentrated in the South which is backwards economically), poverty and access to education, cultural attitudes and expectations.

Here's a few statistics on Western countries that I dug up just from googling around. This is all just about the general gap regarding gender. Please examine these sources and discuss whether or not they're a pile of poo poo, or come up with alternative studies:

- The figure of 4-10%, 6%, or thereabouts was brought up by many as the accepted figure after controls are applied. This appears to be based on data from CONSAD, the OECD, AAUW and the US Department of Labour. I believe this only applies to the US?
- Effectronica mentioned the 2015 Pew study on the US gender wage gap. Here it is, as you can see s/he was telling the truth about the gap being 16% before controls. For younger women, however, they only make 7% less. The uncontrolled gap seems to be narrowing over time. This study doesn't say anything about people in the same job with the same qualifications.
- Here's a Guardian article about the UK study mentioned upthread, where it was found that women in their 20s outearned men of the same age. This study was based on data from the Office of National Statistics. It was found that after 30, the trend reversed, suggesting that social expectations may have more relevance than discrimination in this case. The overall unadjusted gap appears to be 19.7% in the UK. If you follow that link, you can also see a map of the unadjusted gap across Europe.
- The Australian Government claimed that the unadjusted gap was 17.87% in 2009. A 2010 article that examined the gap while controlling for occupation and qualifications found that "major part of the earnings gap is simply due to women managers being female... [despite the] characteristics of male and female managers being remarkably similar, their earnings are very different, suggesting that discrimination plays an important role in this outcome." An organization called Catalyst found that occupations traditionally dominated by men actually had a smaller pay gap than those traditionally dominated by women, while economist Paul Miller found that the gap was much larger among high earners (those in the 95th percentile). The gap also seems to be more severe in Western Australia.

Stuff people should provide more info on:

- Is there better information about the pay gap after controls in countries that are not the US?
- Anyone got any info on non-Western countries? I also want to hear more about the racial pay gap in countries other than the US.
- More up-to-date info on black women- most of the relevant stuff I could find was from the 90s.
- Anne Frank fanfic just said women outearn men at the top levels of corporate infrastructure, while other posters literally said the exact opposite, and the statistics I posted above seem to favour the latter. I'd like people to post their source for both.
- Anybody got any interesting statistics about different fields that have particularly large or small pay gaps?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weldon Pemberton
May 19, 2012

Ughhh I'm not editing again it takes too long to re-copy in the links. Please pretend I said "as of 2013" in that second paragraph.

• Locked thread