Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
People talk about a wage gap, say that women only make 70 some odd cents to the dollar that men make. I've seen people post studies that prove it. Then I've seen other people say that's not true, and they post studies that prove it. I don't know much about things, so I got no idea who's right. I want this settled just for my own benefit. Do women really get paid less than men for the same work?

And none of that "well, women tend towards lower wage jobs so," or "women don't get maternity leave so," faffery.

Here's the question: "Statistically speaking, in the United States of America, in the year 2016, if a man and a woman work the same job, have the same job title, put in the same hours, etc., are they paid the same?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
In discussions of the wage gap I've seen previously, the people who brought up women working lower wage jobs thing did it to argue against the wage gap. "Of course a nurse is going to be paid less than a doctor", they would say. I'm surprised to see that used as an argument for the existence of a wage gap.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Defenestration posted:

I did not earn equal pay for equal work at my last job. My grad school buddy, hired 2 months after me, had the same position, in a female-dominated industry, and he still earned thousands more.

The mayor of Boston thinks that holding negotiating classes for women will solve this. Meanwhile, I advocated for myself for 9 months, insisting on equal pay for equal work. I never got it. Instead I got called "pushy." So I left.

My former coworkers are still not getting wage parity, years later.

Arguing about statistical trends and the validity of experimental results is a red herring devised to excuse bad behavior on the part of large corporations. You don't need to prove what the aggregate percentage difference is (and by extension how smart and scientific you are) in order to hold employers accountable.

If you don't mind me asking, why didn't you report your employer to the government? Or sue them?

• Locked thread