Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Drone_Fragger posted:

So, I'm just going to guess that this new "loot" system there unveiling is going to be the new way to unlock champions and they're probably going to retire IP at some point?

Probably not since what you get from it is random. It's a nice way for a player without many champs to pad out their pool but I don't see them replacing the guaranteed "you're spending x for y champion" of IP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Urgot isn't really meant to be an ADC so much as an anti-carry, and just like reworked Morde he lost all his bite, and with it his niche, to nerfs.

He's kind of on the cusp of playable now with the last QOL changes a while back and items he kinda likes coming into the game and/or getting buffed. You can do reasonably well with him in a solo lane but he's just kind of all over the place and hard to fit into team compositions.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

blah_blah posted:

What? Urgot has gotten nothing but buffs since season 4, and several of his items have gotten better as well (Cleaver, Ghostblade, Maw, etc). He's just a weird champ that requires a fair amount of skill/practice, he has to build a tear which is bad for almost all soloq champs, and he doesn't have a perfect role to play.

Urgot used to have much longer range on his skills especially his lock-on Q and 1-2 ult. He's never really fully recovered from that gutting and only recently has gotten enough incremental and incidental item buffs to crawl into a decent spot.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

CubeTheory posted:

I played the weirdest game of League I've ever played last night. As Morgana support I had a kill at 1 minute and then I had 6 kills and zero deaths at 6 minutes. Ended 13/3/9 at 23 minutes. I'm still not even sure what happened.

dark binding is like a bronzer magnet, in a panic to dodge the thing they almost always end up running right into it

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Miftan posted:

Why the gently caress is poppy allowed to be so strong while building only defensive crap? She's outdamaging me as Renekton!

are you making enough plays with your flash? offensive flash usage is key on keeping renekton relevant mid to late.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

i bet somewhere down the line someone will find some ridiculous on-hit build or something and rengar will go back to being an rear end in a top hat but for entirely different reasons. like kha'zix before he got dumpstered.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Stefan Prodan posted:

Quick poll, chilling or challenging smite on Nocturne?

Mostly just ganking - Chilling

Actively walking into enemy jungle looking for duels - Challenging

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Luna Was Here posted:

splitpushing in bronze league isnt really a bad idea, you can probably pick jax or irelia, run tp, pick a lane past 20 minutes, and attack move up it. if the enemy team continues to aram, just keep pushing, and if they decide to peel back, the ward you placed intelligently will alert you as to when you need to tp to the other side of the map, to take towers there

I've found that GGtop singed is really good at this, I stalled a close but losing game out to 50 minutes until eventually their base just cracked wide open from the constant split pressure and they didn't have any way of pushing back hard enough to prevent me from just constantly rotating until they had too many creeps in their base to leave it.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

I like to get a level in E at 4 just to stack chords faster and have a better approach for the poke. That short burst of movement speed helps a lot in doing hit and runs.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

I've been noticing a weird thing where occasionally when using a targeted ability or even autoattack, I'll instead use it on something closer, whether it's a different champion or a minion. Especially if I'm trying to buffer something while outside its max range. It might be that.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

ap rengar is still good ac tually

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I just started playing this game and I like to play Teemo and Fiddlesticks and my friend tells me that that makes me the biggest rear end in a top hat. Is this true?

Sorry but you need an additional 2 years experience with shaco and double proxying singed to apply for this job

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

the devourer titanic will never sink

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

life tip: almost everyone counters earlygame jax. even singed takes a massive dump on him.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Methanar posted:

Vlad hasn't had a movement speed boost on W in about 5 years.

it decays pretty fast but it's definitely there

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

john isn't bad but you gotta plan attacks in advance and how you'll manage to grab CS and harass without losing one or the other to a reload

he has decent waveclear but if you don't know what you're doing you're bound to miss one or two creeps every wave and that adds up

at least this is my impression from watching several games where a john fell off because they got behind too far in CS

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

quinn is pretty balanced right now, she can still pull off good poo poo but now you actually have to watch the mana bar sometimes because birds have a meaningful cost

i like shiv over RFC but that's because i play her top and my style emphasizes splitpushing over killing mans

i will still kill a mans if i dont like their mug tho

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Arrgytehpirate posted:

My problem with top is I don't like any of the champions. Teemo is fun I guess but the rest suck prolasped rear end

singed is weird and takes a while to "get" but he's by far the most fun I've had in the game. you can take him into almost any matchup and as long as you don't get curbstomped you can come back from any deficits by observing the three peepees: powerfarming, pressuring, and proxying. he has a deceptively strong level 1 too with huge base attack and good sustained damage in poison, just because he has no modifiers doesn't mean his bops don't smart like hell especially with thunderlords or grasp procs in the mix.

run fast, spew icy farts, laugh and spam the mastery emote on CD

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Kashuno posted:

If you don't push the wave into turret at level 1 and watch the enemy laner try and last hit under turret while spamming dance as Singed you are doing it all wrong.

this isn't a good idea in every matchup but in the ones it is it's Mandatory

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

In theory the resource balancing act is that mana-based champions have impactful or low-cooldown abilities gated by managing the mana pool, but they will scale harder into lategame than those with other resources as not only do their abilities get stronger like most of the cast, but they can use them exponentially more frequently than they could at the start of the game.

Energy champions aren't limited by resource attrition so much as short-term resource management. While they'll always recharge after disengaging, running dry in the middle of a fight can be devastating.

Resourceless and special-resource champions are meant have extended windows of weakness waiting on important cooldowns, low-impact skills that nonetheless can be used infinitely to grind the opponent down, or rely on conditional effects from their special resource.

In practice, though, it's actually kind of a big mess with power and weakness all over the place.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

as always if you have a lulu in one of your solo lanes it gets even more ridiculous

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Coco Rodreguiz posted:

Is jungle Zac worse for any reason? He used to be my go to jungler but the last half dozen games with him I just seem to get wrecked. When I play him top I'm fine so I'm not sure if he's worse in the jungle now or if I just lost my magic touch with him.

zac got toned down a long time ago to push him out of lane but he hasn't been touched much since aside from minor tweaks. he's still pretty solid and reliable and runic gave him access to a build with a ridiculous early powerspike at the cost of falling off much harder later.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

rest his guts posted:

Is it possible to carry yourself out of Bronze as a top or do you pretty much have to play ADC? Just started playing again and I pretty much only like playing Fiora, Trundle, Renekton and Xin top

It's very possible to carry top, but it takes some awareness. It helps to know how to splitpush, especially when to stick around and hammer away and when to retreat and waste rotating enemies' time and pressure. You also need to be able to identify good teleport opportunities around the map, unless you took ignite in which case your duty to your team is to crush the other top and if you fail that you're effectively down a summoner as far as they're concerned.

The winning strategy is different for every toplaner though (and there are variations in potential playstyles even then) so the best thing you can do is to look into what is for your favorites and play into it.

For example, Tryndamere and Singed are both very good splitpushers. However, Singed trades in less inherent damage to towers for amazing teamfighting capabilities so he usually wants to take teleport and run a disruption train for his team at key points in the game, while Tryndamere is pretty awful at teamfights so he usually wants to run Ignite and wait to duel someone who tries to stop his split (or spin out of fights he can't handle, wasting enemy pressure).

I find that teamfight tp splitters in general are very good at carrying games(maybe because they're what I'm most comfortable with, mind), but just about any pick can carry if you fulfill their role to its potential.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Sexpansion posted:

Ryze, Varus, Jayce, and TF seem to be the only champions who benefit from the mastery.

Has anyone done any look at what role pick percentages are shaping up to in dynamic queue? When I started playing dynamic queue it seemed like mid was not hard to get; however, that was in normal games. Now that I'm playing ranked and queuing up as mid/jungle it seems like I'm basically playing 100% jungle.

I've seen it on Nasus sometimes, it seems like the best choice when you're gunning for that 5% CDR mastery.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

One possibility is that heal & shield team supports like Soraka, Lulu and Karma are starting to see a lot of play and they stifle her diving capacity significantly

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

The Crusher posted:

So I'm trying windspeaker's blessing over bond of stone on Taric. I haven't done any math really, but bond of stone just seems like a rather negligible amount of damage reduction and it seems like 10% stronger heals and free armor would make a larger difference than 6% damage conversion. Is there any reason why this is just a horrible idea?

No it's good. 45% CDR + strong heals and resist buffs = pull off bullshit attrition fights

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

good thing to do on devourer junglers is to steal chicken buff every time you can and plant deep vision. while their ganks aren't always great they tend to be solid countergankers that can take great advantage of the overcommitment of a gank.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

slydingdoor posted:

Just to clarify: the devo jungler strategy is a "win more," "disrespect," "pocket" strategy. It's best when you have strong laners and want to shut down the other jungler so they can't bail them out or become relevant at all, and really low probability if the conditions I talked about aren't fulfilled.

It's like picking an AP carry mage support--it lets another position potentially snowball so they can make up for an underfed carry in another position or completely overwhelmingly snowball the game in terms of damage and fights. Even picking it is a gamble, but it's not stupid or always wrong unless you don't understand how or why it works.

The main draw to devourer in solo queue is not necessarily that devourer junglers *carry* so much that they *close* games. Almost all of them are lightspeed objective-takers so if they get an inch they can take a mile.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

henkman posted:

Why do people still want to start buffs when they jungle

1.) avoid counterjunglers

2.) counterjungle

3.) level 2 cheese gank

4.) being bad at League of Legends

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

even a worthless cheesy ap nashor's pseudoassassin build would just get more overall out of devourer

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Lady Naga posted:

Aw is Illaoi bad? I played against her and while I had no idea what her kit did and she got stomped all over she seemed kinda fun :smith:

Illaoi has a bunch of bad matchups because she only really shines when she gets to dictate where a fight happens.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Blitz is funny in that in low elo you win through enemy panic and mistakes while higher up you win by exploiting positioning and terrain mechanics to trap people into forks where dodging hook subjects them to your ADC's damage or followup CC or forces out a flash.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Radical posted:

people that pick naut and build zzrot should be arrested

i love people who pick naut and build zzrot, it means i can pick singed and build zzrot and push their poo poo in

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Tired Moritz posted:

Also, what is this "tank akali" I've been hearing about?

her energy restore on Q became flat at all levels and people (starting in korea IIRC) started to realize that if E is maxed first and Q is made a one-point wonder, she becomes really good at long, drawn-out fights because of her stack-on-kill mobility and innate sustain, and the sunfire+titanic core started seeing play

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

i think illaoi can be an OK midlaner specifically against assassins. she can't usually be killed by their allins and can even turn them around and bait jungle ganks into getting double killed, and she can push the lane pretty well to force an opportunity cost for the assassin's roams

she can't roam for poo poo herself though so there's that. and while Heimerdinger's much squishier he does the same thing better.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Lady Naga posted:

What exactly is the logic behind shoving your top opponent underneath their tower because I always thought it was advantageous to CS under your own tower since it prevents people from diving on you?

It denies farm and sets you up to dive or force an advantageous 2v2 countergank with your jungler. Or even just force enemy jungle attention top, there are a few toplaners who don't care about getting ganked early as long as they're drawing pressure away from other lanes.

E: You especially want to push as hard as you can when there's a significant opportunity cost to ganking you, like if your team is in position to take dragon or are 4 man pressuring a different lane.

Catgirl Al Capone fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Mar 5, 2016

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

SlyFrog posted:

League of Legends - it's terrible to be pushed under your own tower. It's terrible to shove the lane under their tower. It's terrible.

a complicated cacophony of contextual conditions calcified by concurrent combinations, I coldly and condescendingly conjecture

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

caitlyn's traps should be ridiculously good but it feels like half of the time enemies walk right through them

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

henkman posted:

How exactly is akali supposed to peel anyone anyway lol

she does have a slow field but that's pretty much it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

SlyFrog posted:

I actually have an issue with Singed (that I have discovered over the last couple of days) that when I'm in a complicated team fight or something, I can't tell if I actually have his Q activated or not. Especially with his ult active spewing off the green poo poo as well.

There were a number of fights yesterday where I swear I pressed Q, only to discover five seconds later that it either got shut off by something, or I had apparently not pressed it in the first place.

Part of the problem is it being a toggle - with other skills, it's really drat obvious that it didn't "trigger." With Singed's Q, you only know if you're staring at the Q icon, or you can tell after a few seconds 'hey, there's no green spew." That become harder to do if poo poo's flying everywhere and there are particle effects all over (and, as mentioned, if your ult is active).

I play Singed a lot and turning on colorblind mode helped. The poison becomes a much more contrasting and stark blue hue.

• Locked thread