Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

ImpAtom posted:

It is 'free IP" in that it gets you champs of unclear value which means it can be worth anywhere from 6300 to like 450. That's better than nothing but renders the chests increasingly lovely the more you play the game while the chests themselves are skill-locked meaning that the majority of people who get them are already people who've played for a while.

The discussion was never about whether or not it was a super great catch up mechanic or not, it's irrelevant. The problem is the "haves" bitching endlessly the moment the "have nots" finally get something of value that the new mechanic isn't pandering to them.

Also it seems like some people are taking "catch up mechanic" to mean "level 1 newbie is set on the fast track to having the same content as the 4-year veterans" when really all it means is "your farm is accelerated in some fashion"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Firebert posted:

It's a video game, not Das Kapital

If you can think of a better way to concisely say "person who is level 30 and has multiple rune pages, all runes and most/all champions" (besides "basement-dweller") I'd like to hear it.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

ImpAtom posted:

This is a really stupid comment. It doesn't need to be 'haves' or 'have nots' because there are several different suggestions about how it can satisfy both in this thread alone.

It's an optics thing.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

ImpAtom posted:

You're moving your goalposts across the goddamn field now and making weird rants about how the HAVES have been oppressing the HAVE NOTS which is silly as hell.

I never said that. Nobody said that.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

ImpAtom posted:

"The problem is the "haves" bitching endlessly the moment the "have nots" finally get something of value that the new mechanic isn't pandering to them" implies that the poor have-nots never get anything of value.

Have no idea where you're getting oppression from that, nor in what way that can be categorized as a rant. I think you're just picking a fight with me over my specific wording.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

ImpAtom posted:

Because it is remarkably dumb wording and you're doing a terrible job of actually explaining why you think this mechanic is good in any way

I have an extra avenue to unlock champions that I didn't have before that is literally free and does not require a whole lot of effort.

ImpAtom posted:

that isn't 'gently caress you, people who are not me."
:ironicat:

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

ImpAtom posted:

You don't actually understand irony, do you? or are actually ignoring what I'm saying in favor of mentally transforming it into "gently caress those have-nots"

The irony is that this whole thing started because "haves" (again if you have a better word I'd like to hear it) were bitching that their free skin generating machine wasn't perfect because it was getting clogged up by all those stupid champion shards and essence, something that is not an issue to the grand majority of the playerbase but was still treated as some giant issue that turned the whole hextech system into a failure.

ImpAtom posted:

Here is a similar mechanic that works just as well:

There is one kind of essence. Champion Shards can be reduced for less essence than skin shards but also redeemed for less essence. Every shard is now worth something to everyone, new players can get champions faster, long-time players can unlock skins.
Sure that'd be great. Never said it couldn't be improved.

ImpAtom posted:

The reason why Riot isn't doing this is because they want people to spend RP on skins and champions, not because of 'optics' or whatever.

Lady Naga posted:

It's only useless if you have all the champions (so, someone who isn't trying to catchup) and I somehow doubt Riot got League to be the biggest MOBA in the world by not implementing ways for people to spend money.
Hey look it's that thing I said a while ago.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

ImpAtom posted:

So... you admit it's a bad system but want people to stop complaining about it because you personally benefit from it?

Riot making money off it doesn't mean it isn't a lovely system for people who are not Riot.

I want people to stop acting like it's the loving end of the world that they are not personally benefiting as much as they'd like from a system that is not designed with them in mind, yes. It's literally the same issue as grognardy WoWlords complaining about Blizzard redesigning the leveling experience or implementing/tuning low-raid difficulties because as a world-first mythic raider that's time they could spend on making new awesome sicknasty high tier raids or whatever.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

ImpAtom posted:

Except it was designed with them in mind. The way chests drop is specifically weighted towards long-time players with a large and diverse pool of champions.

Not really. The chests refresh so slowly that, assuming you're working from the lowest tier of champ IP cost and working up, and you're playing regularly, you're never going to be "wasting" chest refreshes.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

ImpAtom posted:

It isn't chest refreshes that do that, it's the one chest per champion per season limit and the 3 key shards per chest with an increasingly low drop rate that refreshes monthly.

So how does that reward people with an inbuilt wealth of champions? You earn everything at a fixed rate, it's not like someone with all champions can blaze through getting chests and have 150 chests or w/e by the end of the season faster than a poor that is unlocking a new champ every six days.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

ImpAtom posted:

Oh. I see what's going on. You're treating this as "rich people who buy all the champions vs the poors who earn them naturally." That explains a lot.

No I'm treating it as "people who have played long and hard enough to already own all the champions, runes, and have enough rune pages that extras are just for dumb gimmicks."

You know, the thing I've been saying over and over again.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

ImpAtom posted:

Either you are, in fact, saying that or you're using a lot of weird loaded terminology for no reason. When you start framing it as haves/have-nots and 'poors' then I'm going to assume you are, in fact, talking about those things.

I honestly don't know how else to frame it because I can't say "newbies" since that brings to mind the image of someone who just started the game, which is not what I'm talking about. It's an issue of time invested, not money.

Like I've had League since 2011 or so, but I didn't really play it until this season. I'm a "newbie" in terms of experience and time invested but I still have a handful of champs built up from the various on and off play sessions I've had before.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

ImpAtom posted:

How about just 'casual player' and 'long-time player' or something? You're doing everything you can to frame it as a 'battle' between those cruel basement-dwelling grognard haves and the plucky innocent poor have-nots who just want their free champions and are complaining that the former dares to have any opinion besides shutting up.

You keep saying it's ironic' but really you just want people to not say bad things about a system that benefits you and not them because... some reason? Why are they wrong to complain? If Riot fixes the system will it hurt you in some way? You're just going "shut up! Stop saying bad things" but not explaining why anyone should except by calling them grognard basement-dwellers who don't deserve an opinion.

Lady Naga posted:

It's literally the same issue as grognardy WoWlords complaining about Blizzard redesigning the leveling experience or implementing/tuning low-raid difficulties because as a world-first mythic raider that's time they could spend on making new awesome sicknasty high tier raids or whatever.

We have an entire thread dedicated to making fun of those people, am I not allowed to do the same for a similar breed of dork?

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

henkman posted:

lmfao the only thing people have said is that they don't think they should be able to get shards for things they already own and from that you get that they somehow want to what? Keep people with less champions from getting them or something?

Are you really this loving stupid or disingenuous?

Why?

ImpAtom posted:

No, because you're drawing a pretty poor comparison between the two. In the case of your example a WoW grognard is going "gently caress those new players, only I deserve to have fun." That is not what is happening here where it is not an either/or situation. As near as I can tell nobody has said anything arguing that casual players should be hosed over.
In both cases it's a tiny minority at the very top complaining that they're not being catered to or were somehow "left out" and in both cases it is amusing to witness their total lack of perspective.

Lady Naga fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Mar 30, 2016

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Herbotron posted:

I just wanted to step in to this to say that lady naga is a bad poster but everyone arguing with them are not any better atm. Thank you for reading my post, I hate all of you.

I'm actually good, though.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

ImpAtom posted:

So your argument at this point boils down to "the people at the high end of a game should never express any opinion about a feature and how it impacts them" which is pretty dumb because there are a lot of cases where developers in fact make needless changes that impact those players poorly or don't think about how their changes impact the endgame.

They're allowed to complain about it just as much as I'm allowed to say that their complaints are meaningless in the grand scheme of things and some extra perspective might be needed. If you have this big of a problem with me saying "you're kind of dumb for complaining so much about something 3% of the overall playerbase will experience" then I'm not sure how you manage to scroll past any kind of mock thread without exploding into some giant diatribe of indignation about how actually it's not cool to shut down their complaints.

Lady Naga fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Mar 30, 2016

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

ImpAtom posted:

Because most of the mock threads are making fun of absurd people being stupid for no reason or being absurdly hyperbolic and threatening to kill a developer or something, not the mere idea that people complain about things. :ssh:

I would say that endlessly kvetching about something that only affects 3% of players is being absurd for no reason.

Whoa, deja-vu

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

RealFoxy posted:

You'll always be a have-not to me lady naga

Lady Naga posted:

If you can think of a better way to concisely say "person who is level 30 and has multiple rune pages, all runes and most/all champions" (besides "basement-dweller") I'd like to hear it.

I even fuckin' put it in scare quotes to emphasise the fact that it wasn't an altogether serious term but w/e it's cool to take pot shots at the thread whipping boy.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Jfc stop posting for a day or two.

Did that last time everyone decided to swoop in and peck at me, didn't really work.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Spiros posted:

You aren't a righteous persecuted minority. You're someone new to the game who feels their uninformed opinions are the law. Listen to what people who are more experienced/smarter than you until you're more qualified to give your opinion.

Never said I was. I have never offered any significant opinion on League-specific design decisions (though people assumed I was anyway because ???). In fact, this is sort of the exact opposite situation where older players should probably listen to the newer ones who are saying that the system, while imperfect, is nowhere near as bad as they think it is and maybe they need some perspective (I'm not the only one who said this either, just the only one with enough brain problems to continue an argument past the point of who cares).

ImpAtom posted:

Then you're being weird and reductive. The fact that something only represents a small percentage of the base doesn't mean it isn't a flaw or that they're wrong for complaining. v:shobon:v A lot of relatively important things in MOBAs and MMOs only impact a small percentage of the overall player base but they're still things that people can hope to be fixed for some reason or another.
It's annoying to listen to, in the same way that it is annoying for a wage-slave employee to hear their boss complain that he has to pay an extra 5% on taxes, or in the way that it is annoying for a casual WoW player to listen to high-tier raiders complain that because Blizz decided to tune LFR they don't get more world-firsts to accomplish.

Lady Naga fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Mar 30, 2016

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

RealFoxy posted:

Take the advice of AustrianMook or Itsjustdrew and stop posting for a solid six months until you figure out what it is exactly you're supposed to be mad at.

I'm not mad at anything lmao.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Fluffdaddy posted:

Maybe because you manage to be the worst goddamn poster in this entire thread, which is a feat in itself.

I am sorry that I do not reach your lofty posting goals, Fluffdaddy.

• Locked thread