Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
I've been playing top lane Soraka. Liandrys->Rylais->Warmogs->Morrello.

It's great. Also, it's terrible. But also great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

How Rude posted:

stop playing support champions in solo lanes you fuckers

Never

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
I again maintain they should have left the healing passive on Ardent Censer as non-unique.

http://webmup.com/74d87/

http://webmup.com/c79dc/

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
I'm listening to a 16 year old album by Phoenix right now and one of the lines of the song is:

But I'm feeding the enemy
I'm in league with the foe

Basically, I'm saying Phoenix prophesied my life.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
I implore someone to try my Sona build. I swear to god it's extra fun.

Coin->Tear->Iceborn

If you're ahead, build Morello's and sell Coin, if you're behind Spirit Visage and combine coin into Eye.

Finish Tear into Staff

Get Boots of Swiftness somewhere in there.

Last item can be whatever, Deathcap isn't bad if the game hasn't ended because you've made your team unstoppable and you have infinite mana. Also, you can regularly duel anyone 1v1 because you are literally impossible to kill as long as you counter their burst with your staff shield.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
Mmmmm, I don't know how to explain myself very well. I understand how poo poo the build looks on paper, but I've had good success with it. I always tweak it to itemize better against them, and end up building out Talisman pretty often. The Iceborn Gauntlet synergizes well with the passive on Seraph's Embrace, and the slow adds even more speed control to the kit. It's not really a damage build. The tear lets you spam poo poo like crazy in lane, and let's your ADC sustain super easy, making for an easy lane, and then you become crazy tanky in the late game and give a ton of value with your shield and speed spam. The AP from the Seraph's Embrace really adds value to your shields and speeds, the mana from Iceborn feeds into that and keeps you undiveable between the Staff shield, your own shields and heals, and the tankiness from Talisman/Iceborn/Sightstone HP/Spirit Visage. Morello's is only if you somehow snowball super hard in lane and pick up a bunch of kills or something. Mostly you just become unkillable and keep your team moving super fast and help create picks since your speed/ult/slows create opportunity. You can also move closer to the frontline to ult since it's so much harder to dive you, and once you're full build it's really really hard for anyone to 1v1 you. At the very least you always get away, and this lets you push harder into your opponent's jungle and keep up aggressive vision.

The truth is I'm not good enough to explain why it works, but it has worked super well for me, and I've been having a ton of fun playing it. Sona is easily my most played champion, and I've done all the normal, traditional support builds for a long time, and this is just way more fun.+

CubeTheory fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Aug 16, 2016

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

Endorph posted:

iceborn gives you exactly 50 hp more of a shield from the seraph's. i guess the armor helps a little too but sona still dies to everything, since that build barely has any other defense.

i really hope you mean the shield, and not the mana -> ap passive, because 3% of 250 is a whopping 7 AP

Well, first of all, Iceborn Gauntlet has 500 mana, not 250. Second, you're wrong. She doesn't die to everything. I'm not a good enough player to explain it, and I'm not going to continue arguing, but she can spam her W so much and so often that she gets super tanky. I know because I've done it a bunch of times. Talisman has a bunch of armor on it, visage has mr and hp, sightstone has more hp, seraphs has a shield. Most of the build has some sort of defensive stats on it, and this is generally enough to keep you alive while you W every couple of seconds and shield and heal.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

exethan posted:

you're not good enough to play against people who can punish your lovely builds

You're probably right, but it's still fun. And that's what I said it was, fun, not super OP on meta carry Sona.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
Yeah, I'm just gonna quit League of Legends forever now.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

NTT posted:

You deserve this for playing 3s

I was playing 3s vs AI to level up a second account. Those are bots. I lost a game to bots. Well, I was in a game in which we lost to bots, not sure I lost to bots.

I lost to bots.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

Hashtag Yoloswag posted:

i think your bot teammates lost to bots, probably

Oh no, they were talking. They were real. So very, very real.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
The games go quick on new accounts so I find it fast to level them up there.

Edit: unless your teammates are so bad you lose to the bots.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
Never trust your friends.

https://a.pomf.cat/mjsgat.webm

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
Three step plan to fix the tree man:

1. Ranged autos all the time
2. Created bushes grant bonus magic damage to Ivern AND allies
3. Daisy knocks up after three hits AND on summon

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

kingcobweb posted:

Has anyone tested how he interacts with eg titanic hydra? If not I'll play with it tonight

I don't think he gets melee procs on any ranged attacks. At least I'm pretty sure relic shield won't execute on a ranged attack.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
If I wanted to pick just three supports to really focus on, which three would be the best to cover all my bases? I think I've already decided Janna is one of them, and that Braum is definitely not because I dislike playing him a lot.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
New shield mastery seems like it's going to make Sion an unkillable rear end in a top hat if it is any good at all.

Good

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
Wait, why are the giving Garen built in Black Cleaver on his E. What. wahtahawha

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
Hey guys just checking in to say that Knight's Vow seems pretty good on Taric.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

flyingkiwi posted:

Should have built runic echoes

At level 10, with that gear, initial damage added from Runic Echoes:

6-7 ad from move speed bonus, adds like 4-5 damage on Q/E combined
60 damage on ult
60 damage on hit
Total damage: 132 damage

At level 10, with that gear, initial damage added from Warrior:

36 Q damage
30 E damage
60 Auto damage
Total damage: 126 damage

By building Runic Echoes you would gain 6 initial damage and lose all the subsequent bonus damage on autos/q/e, as well as losing out on the 10% cdr.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

Taitale posted:

You forgot W, which would add another 48 damage over the 4 seconds.

I only took into consideration the initial burst damage because he said it made the build more bursty. The E damage is over taken with a single second auto attack.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

Alris posted:

Is anyone else finding they're unable to spectate games with the new client?

Spectating isn't enable yet, coming in a patch.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
New stat: Intensity

Intensity increases all damage you deal. The more intensity you have, the more effective intensity is. (i.e. 10 Intensity increases damage by 10%, 20 Intensity increases damage by 25%)

Delete critical hits forever.

Crit is a dumb mechanic.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

henkman posted:

What is that supposed to solve

It normalizes critical hit damage while maintaining its snowbally nature. By giving you more dps the more you have, you maintain the flow of a weak early game in exchange for a strong late game without making you just randomly be stronger or weaker based on the number of times you crit with like one crit item. Critical hits feel like a basketball hoop that randomly gets wider or smaller. It sometimes removes the skill in exchange for luck.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

Philip Rivers posted:

Looks like someone got owned by the 1 crit red runepage

I mean, one red crit rune jokes are hilarious and all, but crit does just seem dumb. Why is there a mechanic literally built around a RNG in a game they are trying to position as a sport. Seems weird.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

stump collector posted:

because LEAGUe is an american game and we believe in RNJesus

Oh, is this a Trump thing?

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

Work Friend Keven posted:

this is an esport, so lets delete crit and make a new stat exactly like crit but not as exciting or big play capable.

Is being dealt two aces in poker a "big play"?

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
In poker the big play is playing your cards correctly, not just getting dealt good cards. A great play in League would be leveraging an early strong buy to snowball and win before an opponent's crit build comes together, not buying for early strength then losing a duel because the 20% crit on the other ADC acted like 66% when they crit twice on three autos. The answer cannot be not to fight if yhey have any crit, and if you absolutely play better than them and lose because of RNG then you can't say it's an entirely skill based game.

Let me be clear, though: I'm terrible at League and st my elo the trades are rarely even enough for a lucky crit to be the only difference. I just enjoy game design and Riot is constantly "balancing for the pro meta" and keeping such a large random mechanic is so strange to me.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

Luna Was Here posted:

Well then you can't say Poker is an entirely skill based game either because you could play literally every hand completely perfectly and still get hosed because you called an all in when you have the pair of aces and the other guy gets a 3 of a kind off the river or some emo poo poo like that. Even in games that are considered to run off of pure skill there are elements of luck and chance so even here your analogy sucks poo poo.

My analogy wasn't actually an analog to my argument about crit, it was directed at someone saying that lucky crits were "Big Plays", and you've said nothing related to that at all other then to continue to focus on an offhand comment I made about randomness not being impressive in competition. My analogy about crit in other sports was a basketball hoop that is randomly wider or smaller, and that fits perfectly, but you're too goddamn busy trying to poo poo on me about a poker analogy that you took out of context to address any of actual arguments I made about it being RNG based, something that has no place in a game of pure skill.

Gee, I can't imagine why the traffic through the League threads has slowed down so much.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
You guys think Mikael's Crucible is good on Soraka now even if they don't have priority CC you need to cleanse? All the stats seem so strong for her...

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

kingcobweb posted:

Camillionaire

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
Why did no one tell me about Xerath support in Silver? This poo poo is crazy, you just land every Q and they just die.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

rabidsquid posted:

i wasnt getting them when i played her without the wall stun??

Tested this in a custom a few weeks ago so unless they changed it you don't need to land the stun to get the shield.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
who broke league it's broken

who did it

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

Slaapaav posted:

how do you carry in shitter elo with bard? like i get 5 kills what do i buy on him, cdr? he doesnt do much damage nomatter how fed you are, he cant really push lanes. also nobody really have any idea what he does it seems like.

I disagree

https://a.pomf.cat/xxtgpm.webm

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

kingcobweb posted:

The leap on new Warwick ult is :stonk:

It scales in range on his movespeed????

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

Addamere posted:

Didn't get that in my box, and lol just lol at anyone who spends money on a freemium game

Some people have more money than time but still want to have cool stuff in games they play with their friends??

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

Addamere posted:

lol

What does that have to do with the idea of paying money for a retexture of a fantasy swordsman or armadillo or whatever? The idea of paying for vanity poo poo is silly in my view.

When I purchase skins I usually do it because I like the product they make, I want to support it, and I think a particular skin looks cool. The money>time thing doesn't apply too much to League in particular, but to other freemium games where grinding out items at a huge time sink is possible. People play games for different reasons, and sometimes I just wanna look like a cool space pirate man because he looks cool and that's reason enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

I really want this to be AP Tryndamere.

• Locked thread