Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?
Janna:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJ-drpEGRc0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FsFiBXOVK0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

bewilderment posted:

I don't play LoL much at all any more but sometimes I look at streams to reminisce and relax and I'm puzzled by something -
Why is Trundle played as a support now? The ult is nice but that seems like 5 levels of exerting no pressure besides the occasional pillar.

I haven't played since mid S5.
I play a lot of support troll. The pillar is just the most obvious good part of his kit. The real best thing about him among supports is faster than Janna speed with fast attack speed and an auto reset means he has the fastest ward clearing and placing among supports. Safe too, because of speed field and slow field. I think those two things are the only reason he was played in competitive.

Outside of that he's easy to play, and a flex pick. You don't have a combo or a timing ult, and aren't made of paper. Just don't pick him against champs that can ignore him in lane and kill the carry or easily peel and cc chain him so you are actually at risk of death when you try to tank during the normal losing trades: Leona, Blitz, Nautilus, Nami, Brand. Not unless your carry is really really good at dodging poo poo and can farm until you can roam where the the counterpick supports aren't.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

They remade DFG for AD assassins.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

No one on your team built a whisper item, enemy Kindred pressed R.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

What I'm wondering is whether Shaco clone gets its own proc.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Oh poo poo it does http://boards.na.leagueoflegends.com/en/c/gameplay-balance/5TfEHFY3-does-shaco-clone-proc-duskblade

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Now to put Yorick ult on the Shaco...

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

I used to play a lot of devo Shyvana. I had the most success when I was counterjungling as much as possible, and eating all the dragons, crabs, and heralds. As long as you drop a ward in the enemy jungle, smite their wolf and raptor camps as much as possible you're still pressuring the map. Enemy ganks can only come from limited paths, which laners can ward out easier than normal, and will come from someone with a lower level and less gold.

The problem is that people only pay attention to kill notifications and tilt when they get camped, they'll think you're worthless even if you're making more win conditions and gold for your team and yourself than they're getting denied, and also allowing them to farm your jungle because you're farming the enemies'. It's also pretty risky when you don't have at least one strong lane matchup that can push so you have backup.

As devo, try communicating with the team or queuing up with people who know how to help you execute the strat. Playing with devo, don't tilt if you picked a lovely matchup, lose lane, or get camped. If you picked a good matchup, don't ward the wrong the side of the jungle and expose yourself to ganks or get cleaned up (that can put the enemy jungler back in the game), and be ready to fight with them or keep them from getting converged on for free if they get contested. It actually can fun and effective.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Ganking as devo after you've finished the item also delays all the spawn cycles of camps you would have killed, reveals you on the map, and can fail and get you 0 stacks or dead if things go wrong. It's still a good idea if some of your laners are backed on the other side of the map so you shouldn't invade, you know your targets don't have summoners and the other laners don't have global presence. Pretty much if you're sure there's no way you can get counterganked/tped on or otherwise lose the fight or fail the gank. All of these conditions are easier to fulfill the more efficiently you've counterjungled and warded. Before you've finished the devourer enchant it's fine to gank because it can get you the gold to finish the enchant really early. The best thing ever is to countergank or willingly get counterganked, kill everyone, and get like a 5 minute devourer, then go get a pre-6 minute dragon

Whether you've finished the item or not, you absolutely can't sit in a bush and wait, or take a long route and pass up camps. No one should really do this except junglers that only gank, or if you're waiting on a cooldown--Thresh lantern, global ult, another laner to converge. It also can be worth it if your targets have bounties or you're setting up a big objective take.

You never see devo in pro play because laners take all the camps, you get called to push lanes and take early towers instead of killing jungle camps, and have to build sightstone or have traps. Only the best early game junglers with good CC and huge base damage get to do that.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

I mean, unless you're such a baby that you need your jungler to camp for you every game and for you to snowball, having a devo jungler isn't that much different from having a "regular" jungler that tries to snowball their lanes and hose enemy laners instead of snowballing themselves hosing the other jungler. If your entire teams sucks at taking objectives or the midgame in general, it can even be optimal

If the enemy counterjungles you on devo, then they aren't ganking either. Then it becomes a question of who farms the jungle faster and more efficiently, or who can contest an invade better. Exhaust Shyvana is still good at both of these things, even if the enemy is also good at dueling and farming, like Nidalee, who you body because you can chase her without flash and exhaust her.

The matchup can still be super bad such that the offensive summoner doesn't matter though. Echoes Udyr does everything better, as does Xin, and they dictate any fight against you. They can CC you and run away if they're going to lose ie during the exhaust, then chase you down if they're going to win ie while exhaust is down.

I always play either of them instead of Shyvana if they're unbanned if I really want to win, especially after the dumbass new Runic Echoes and Xin buffs.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

It's not that you're worried about getting counterjungled as devo while you gank, it's that you're being inefficient and taking a high risk. If your laners lost really hard, have no sums, the enemy has sums, have no vision control, the enemy has vision control, there are lower risk things to take, etc. then the likely outcome of a gank is usually getting nothing, or worse, outplayed. The risk is that the enemy will kill your weak laner and/or you then escape with their sums, or if there's a countergank, you all dying and snowballing the enemy team even more. This happens whether you're devo or not.

If the opposite conditions are true, then ganking and farming aren't mutually exclusive: an enemy laner becomes another easy-take objective that you're as stupid to not take on spawn as any other objective. The reason devo is fun and effective that you can win and pressure the map even without having good gank-setup laners that also win lane and push hard--Garen, Graves, Quinn, Cass, Vlad, Sona, Soraka, any assassin. How often do you hear bad junglers complain that all their lanes are pushed so they can't gank? Especially if they're slow farmers that have trouble soloing objectives and dueling? If they were a devo jungler they'd be crushing the enemy jungler and eating every objective by themselves, leaving their own camps for their laners to take, and snowballing instead of starving.

Also like I said, if the enemy jungler is starved, their ganks suck because they either risk running into you in the jungle, or they have to gank predictably and at a lower level with less gold. If you get counterjungled as devo, then the other jungler is wasting their time and you're winning because you farm faster and they aren't ganking.

What you're really afraid of as devo is a better devo jungler or counterjungler (Nunu) with better laners that make your counterjungling really risky. If you pick devo into Nunu Kalista and all your lanes get pushed in, you've got your work cut out for you. You'll have to gank and devo junglers tend to kinda suck at that. You're playing against your strengths.

I absolutely agree that if you farm on a ganking jungler you suck, but you're not a lovely jungler if you control the jungle and only gank when it's low risk, no matter how much your dumbass laners whine. They're only complaining about your being "selfish" because they don't understand all the ways a jungler can carry the game, and only care if a they're the ones that carry the game.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Just to clarify: the devo jungler strategy is a "win more," "disrespect," "pocket" strategy. It's best when you have strong laners and want to shut down the other jungler so they can't bail them out or become relevant at all, and really low probability if the conditions I talked about aren't fulfilled.

It's like picking an AP carry mage support--it lets another position potentially snowball so they can make up for an underfed carry in another position or completely overwhelmingly snowball the game in terms of damage and fights. Even picking it is a gamble, but it's not stupid or always wrong unless you don't understand how or why it works.

slydingdoor fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Feb 24, 2016

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

a medical mystery posted:

The main draw to devourer in solo queue is not necessarily that devourer junglers *carry* so much that they *close* games. Almost all of them are lightspeed objective-takers so if they get an inch they can take a mile.
That's a really good way to put it, but I'd add that It's absolutely not as though non devo junglers or full supports can't close games, they just do it in a much less flashy way, that looks and feels much less like a true "stomp." I really like playing both, and think that when people only play one they can come to hate what they don't understand.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Seriously if you want advice on Morgana play you should be listening to this guy.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

kingcobweb posted:

I've played almost 250 ranked games this season, maybe 700 last season. That is the dumbest game of ranked that I can remember. It had no relationship with League of Legends. I am using up all of my annual "this loving game" points, and I take an honest pledge to not complain about any game in the future as long as this one sticks in my mind. And it's a game that the LP says I "won," but no one wins a game where the biggest threat is support Morgana, Lucian dies 20 times, there are 127 kills, five people have triple-doubles, and it's finally mercifully ended by a quinn/udyr backdoor from the team down 6.1k gold (though even the not-fed support was full build+ at 42 minutes)

If you hate yourself like I hate myself, watch it http://www.replay.gg/search/na/killgoldfish#2120477740

I will send $1 to the person who tells me the best most magical thing or moment

I'm not in it for the money, but there are some primo replays in this. I'll see what I can do.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

http://plays.tv/video/56e1a556a2bac8eacc

http://plays.tv/video/56e1a7c1cf97daf1c2

Here's what I have so far, my bookmarks got erased but I think there are like 4 more to come.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

All right these are the other 3 I am partial to. If they're worth a buck each, donate that $5 to charity.

http://plays.tv/video/56e1b33136cd349d2f
http://plays.tv/s/Ki5vDCBHQWhv
http://plays.tv/video/56e1b987c004308fd7

The best one is between the second one though, tower diving morg, or the graves chase.

slydingdoor fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Mar 10, 2016

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

NTT posted:

Jhin....is good.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Why not both. Learn from your teammates' mistakes as well as your own. Make the potatoes of some retroactive use.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Needs saltyteemo music.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Something like
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x40nZkkP8vw&t=74s

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

I spec goonmans, sometimes the music does stuff. Props to bard for the deny.

Shoutout to Keeby for the ult too.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Their team's Poppy.

My team's Poppy.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

How Rude posted:

i dunno, many of us don't like regular babies posting about how their anecdotal experiences prove whatever childish trappings of the mind led them to a conclusion such as "ranked is an overall worse experience than normals" when you literally just described any old game of low ranked league of legends (normals, by the way, actually have a matchmaking/ranking system, but it is invisible)

drat man, why are you throwing your duo partner to the wolves, that is entirely uncalled for! :mad:

mad props to chumpell, however, for making a Game Winning Play.
Their team's Morgana.

My team's Morgana. :v:

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

How Rude posted:

loving SAVAGE

I need to install plays.tv so i can dox some of your questionable plays
Seriously it's way more fun than guess-the-context scoreboards or had-to-be-there stories or hour-long youtube videos. To make and probably to look at too. More people should do it!

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

SlyFrog posted:

Ok, I managed to get another jungle game recorded through OP.GG.

http://na.op.gg/match/observer/id=2141624173
This game is quickly a stomp and you had nothing to do with it. Here are some tips.

Kite the creeps--krugs, buffs, wolves--both to take less damage and position yourself closer to the next camp and have higher health in case you need to duel or invade or gank or whatnot. Don't attack the little creeps in between the big ones because the extra damage from your red buff does ends up being overkill and it slows your clear. When your top dies and you're right there you don't freeze for her. When you're still farming up to buy devourer, getting that gold is all that matters, you should tax hold the lane. If you did, their top would have to play forward and you could gank them later, if you ever ganked more than once. Instead your top has to play forward and dies more.

After the double kill on the support and mid, you try to help bot push its wave instead of mid. The enemy adc is still alive, so pushing that does nothing. Their mid died though so pushing that would be uncontested. The best choice would probably be to take dragon and crab right then and gotten 7 stacks, or just farmed your stacks if dragon were taken. Instead you end up starting dragon after everyone's respawned, it wastes a lot of time you could have spent stacking.

Your team fights and does a lot of dumb roams happen and you end up having to hold top again. In general, you want to yell at your top--Quinn the best wave catcher in the game, who has no cs--to pick it up then go back to whatever stupid roams she's doing, because she can both cs and be relevant easier than you. On the way to pick up the wave, you take blue, instead of going straight there or taking any other camp. The small camps respawn faster and take less time to kill, so killing them is better for stacking and you might have caught more cs with the time. Also, Lux could have used that blue a minute later, when she backs for being out of mana.

Their top pushes a wave to tower and you turn around from chickens to go there to catch it, then try to push tower, but they return after you get only 5 hits on their tower. If a wave hits the tower and the laner isn't hitting the tower, they backed. Pushing that lane will do nothing unless their tower is really low. You can instead farm bot and be closer to the ARAMing mid, and be able to get the dragon, which probably would get you sated right then.

Stop creeping after you get sated. Run around killing people or split pushing and dueling--make use of your power spike. You kill a few people with your team, then eventually solo split top and get all the towers but by then your team already won the game 4v5.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

SlyFrog posted:

I will have some questions on the rest of this, but this immediately stood out to me. I actually did this differently in this game, because of recent comments from another game review here yesterday, where the reviewer criticized the jungler for not killing the little creeps early. He said the little creeps do all the damage, and you should attack and kill them. Previously, I had been simply beating down the big creep first, but had specifically started doing damage to and killing the little creeps earlier because of that comment.

Which is right?

(Also, thanks for taking a look at it. I am already trying to internalize some of the things you reference that I know I do wrong, in particularly spending too much time post-sated still taking camps and such, as opposed to running around creating havoc and pushing lanes and poo poo.)
I think you try to hit the small creeps each once to spread the red buff instead of focusing each at a couple camps. I was fast forwarding more after I saw you weren't kiting them. As for always killing the smalls for all camps rather than chickens--which I forgot to mention that the smalls can be kited a bit--I like to always kill the big ones first so I don't spaghetti and waste a krug buff stun on a small creep, and more importantly in case I get invaded. I'd rather have a better chance of last hitting the big one or having a 50/50 smite than not. I try to invade a lot and it's mattered. As long as you always have potions running and kite the melee creeps the HP saved isn't as important.

Unless you're khazix obviously, then you always always kill the smalls first because it's always faster and you are a squishy baby bug that gets wrecked otherwise.

e; Whoever told you this probably plays Nunu or something. Nunu also doesn't care about being invaded or 50/50 smite fights except at his first buff, where he can actually die or not have consume up because he has to use it on cooldown.

slydingdoor fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Mar 30, 2016

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Someone show us a replay roasting someone. This is the best I have.

e; I forgot about this one.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Silver support here main here, I need some tips from the community. How can I carry goon5's as Thresh, my favorite champion, when everyone else is all plats?? Instead I always feel like I single-handedly throw every game and tilt the team..... Anyway, I'd appreciate any feedback on my latest, a heartbreaker.

slydingdoor fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Apr 3, 2016

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Okay here's a replay of a really bad Sona game. I should have gone Mikhael's against a team with so much hard CC, I know.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

AHH FUGH posted:

Post a full game using op.gg or replay.gg and not just the highlights

Basically first building a thornmail on a support isn't a good idea since you don't have the HP to back it up

Also it's mainly your Vel'Koz's fault for not getting a Zhonyas versus a (virtually) full AD comp and a Zed with Duskblade and for dying 15 times

If you really wanna improve, post a game where you do absolutely horribly and it's solo queue and I can review it
Realtalk though I'll defend the thornmail because I actually put thought into it. When I bought it I had 1950 gold with face, sightstone, swifties, and 2 cloth. I wanted 2 pinks for shrooms, so I could either buy some combination of FH, ruby sightstone, or randuins components or just finish a thornmail.

I hit tab and saw the enemy team had % health damage from bork, liandries, and duskblade, so I thought building health would be less good against them, and our Gragas already had glacial shroud, so he'd finish his FH before me anyway (it ended up being ibg, whoops). I figured I had 500 bonus hp (plus 45 from masteries but whatever) and two shields, so the thornmail was the most EHP against AD I could buy at that moment for sure. The armor would help me tank towers or objectives too, in case our tanks were down and we needed to take them.

When at the end of the game I had 50 gold and full slots, two pinks and an elixirI figured I'd spent it as efficiently as possible. The one I guess regret I have is I didn't take into account that the face shield is based off bonus health. Maybe it could have made the difference trying to save people.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Thanks none of you guys for answering the other armor stack reasons, and I forgot one. Now I know some of you Janna mains have never been in this position, but hen you're 5/0, even if you're the support you have a bounty worth 1500 gold, and if one Graves pellet misses instead of hitting when he suicides to kill you, that bounty might be the difference between your enemies completing two BTs on their next back before the next fight. Then those BTs might be the difference between their winning that fight with 4 or with 3, which can make the difference between getting double inhib'd and just single, etc. So it might make some sense to squeeze out every defensive stat you can on your budget when you're against a team of all fed dudes that can kill you before cdr gets you another rotation. It's called the butterfly effect, a popular hypothetical example of chaos theory which illustrates how small initial differences may lead to large unforeseen consequences over time. In conclusion, I'll never jokingly ask plats and jp diamonds or whatever for help when I post a for fun video ever again.

With respect.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Transient People posted:

How could you have a 1500 gold bounty? It's just 90 gold globally and 300 to your killer...
Yeah I was unclear. First shutdown's 300 kill 150 assist 450 team so 900 total. Then the second's 300 kill 150 assist 150 team for 600 total. Sum 1500.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

I listed a bunch of reasons why it might have been the right situational buy at that particular time in that particular game that no one noticed or answered. Instead they just kept repeating the same canned responses... Huh, maybe I stumbled upon the truths that the secret cult of elite support mains don't want people like me to know! :tinfoil:

Nah, I'm boosted and I know it :golfclap:

Also before the next person naga's this out

slydingdoor posted:

I'll never jokingly ask [...] for help when I post a for fun video ever again.
pk's the one who was boosting me.

slydingdoor fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Apr 4, 2016

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

keeby no

slydingdoor posted:

I'm boosted and I know it :golfclap:[please don't be] next person [to naga] this out
Seriously someone else will rubio the conventional support knowledge I and everyone knows is at worst 99.999% correct.

Yes, Graves and Kog'maw are terrible. The favorite thing I heard about the latter was some streamer saying "playing this champ makes you worse at ad carry." You can't kite or animation cancel, just standing there autoing any damage guy in range or letting jesus take the wheel when you need to chase is always the play. At worst you need to press the flash or bork button or juke, all of which are pretty easy when the champ demands no mechanical skill.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

slydingdoor posted:

Seriously someone else will rubio the conventional support knowledge I and everyone knows is at worst 99.999% correct.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

They whitewashed her too. And Taric. :sigh:

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

It's a Vayne tumble with three quarters of an Ahri W at the end. Because Riot design goals vs results usually don't quite match up I'm gonna bet against them and say Rocket Belt becomes an item that buffs "dive/initiate harder" champs more than "initiate without flash" champs who will still suck and need an instant, wall jumping blink to accomplish anything. I bet it will be built on the likes of Ahri Akali Fiddlesticks Diana Katarina Leblanc and any other already mobile "get-in" AP assassin I forgot or appears because of reworks or is released.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Sona might find it usable against a comp that sucks at engage. Bard too. Comedy option: Lux and Orianna.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Heh, wonder if the mana regen item nerfs will get midlaners taking smite again. Hunter's Talisman is a cheap mana regen item early, the "in the jungle" requirement basically means "on the ramp" for midlaners, where most of them try to snipe from fog of war anyway. Having to upgrade the jungle item and the enchant later for 2675 or whatever would suck, but shooting a mini luden's proc on a large monster for 18% missing mana back looks pretty good compared to other stuff for late game if a champ sucks at stacking tear.

It'd be great, more laners taking camps to auto win their lanes with the early level 2, the same infinite mana late game poke, more jungle item nerfs.

• Locked thread