Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Are we still doing disappointing Shops? I actively dislike everything it is trying to sell me, and have better skins for everyone besides Zil and the champ I don't own

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

rabidsquid posted:

Jhin looks fun and I look forward to running out of bullets and whiffing my Xerath ult frequently

You say that like it's a bad thing

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Bholder posted:

Somebody please tell me why every rear end in a top hat bans Mundo, is he still OP, nobody ever picks him but he is banned in every game and I'm being yelled at for not banning him.

He's on the same level as Trundle right now IMO. He's not preseason levels of monstrosity, but pretty solid in just about every way, and like Darius, he freaks the poo poo out of people

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I have severe and poorly managed ADHD that is primarily inattentive, and I have never missed a lock in besides when the client used to bug out with the invisible mastery screen when new select first launched. It isn't rocket surgery to hit a button to select a champ, and then hit a button to confirm. Going through 5 lobbies per game played because people choose champions, but won't lock in, is just god drat retarded and means that it can (and way too frequently does) take up to 20 minutes from choosing preferred roles to getting the match started. I definitely prefer it over the shitshow that was pick order drafting, but it adds on the old time from dodging trolls in every 4th or 5th lobby onto every game with the locking in mechanic

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

If you really want to snipe kills and piss everyone off as support, look no further than Lissandra and Illoai. Beefy sponges that require relatively little itemization to deal obnoxious damage. If you aren't confident in your ADC, they are amazing picks since late game Liss can 2 shot ADCs and bottom laners still don't know how to handle real pressure from Illoai.

Recently, I've been maining Gailo, and he works amazingly with the zz/banner support combo. He really struggles with being mana starved until you can get his chalice item, which is usually after 10 minutes thanks to maxing the support and vision item first, but after that, you are basically a killing machine. They need to change his debonair splash though, since he's drinking a mana potion, and it mocks me with the knowing wink of, "yeah, his mana regen is poo poo. Better build for it, we won't even pretend to work on his early game problems now that mana pots are gone."

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

The Mash posted:

I need help coming up with a new one-trick-pony summoner name. Ideally, it should combine my love of Fiora and of Kanye West somehow.

Is Twisted Dark Fencer too deep a cut? Fioras in Paris? I don't think there's enough to work with here

Why is Jayce's winrate so low? He seems a little limited, but really strong

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Oh, if only anyone could have seen this ridiculously overpowered assassin item coming, and recognized the sheer stupidity of putting it in the game

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I have concluded, to the surprise of no one in the community, that duskblade works well on just about every champ that autoattacks. Rush it on a toplaner with DFT and then go full tank to eliminate everything in your path. Thinking of buying lifesteal runes to eliminate the need for bork or hydra for sustain, but that sounds kind of like a waste of IP

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

So edgy... I like some of them, but I just want League to keep taking the piss like they did with DravenDraven. We can look at WH40k and their constant lean towards the grimdark, edgelord, version of their world. Orkz Mario Kart was a real thing! I don't want their edgy bend to start taking the levity out of League like it's taking the fun out of their splashes. Even my favorite skin in the game, the Warwick Grandma got changed so that instead of him trying to look like an old lady, it's a super muscular, aggressive, Warwick in a night gown.

I have some annoying problems with playing Fiora, I have trouble getting all 4 hits on her ult and her Q doesn't seem to target vital points like the description says. Anyone got any solid tips for landing vital hits? I am experimenting with her builds, but I am having legit trouble with just basic mechanics on her ults. I always end up with an hourglass shape and no movement options left

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Kokoro Wish posted:

*looks at new Taric*

*watches his new joke*

Grimdark Edgelord indeed. Hell, it's even better when you use the actual Grimdark Edgelord skin.

Say what you want about those splashes, but I am going to take them over the art from frankly one of the worst artists that Riot has ever employed.

Also I just noticed that yes, Fifth Age Taric is infact providing the light-show at a DJ Sona concert. It's perfect.

*looks at the vast majority of changes to the art of the game*

*compares it to one champion*

Am I the only one who went full sperg with this album? The art is just terrible. So absolutely terrible that it looks like Kickstarter concept art instead of Official Art from one of the biggest competetive gaming companies on the planet. The only legitimately better splashes are Xin's and some of Twitch's, and Twitch had to ruin his best splash and grow a creepily detailed dick nose
http://imgur.com/a/rmsrB

:spergin: alert, but here goes nothing....
It's just trying so hard to be badass with stuff that has nothing to gain by being badass. Nosferatu, the Nutcracker, Xena, Gandalf, and the other references can't just be jokes for the people who understand the reference, they have to be flinging blood, swinging swords, looking over battles, or at the very least scowling at the camera.
Rumble can't relax in his fun, tiki-bar robot, he has to be fighting. He can't even just be a pirate, that's not cool enough, he has to gain a new ability and start firing bullets out of his flamethrower in the middle of a hurricane because he needs to be COOLER!!!!
Shaco has no fun left in any of his skins. We get it, clowns are creepy, however the contrast of innocent, childhood fun and uncanny, inhuman movements and atributes make a clown creepy, a glowing-eyed demon clown is so heavy handed that it becomes stupid.
Raka can't just be under the stars, she has to be casting her Q
Sona isn't a muse anymore, she's just in her normal battle pose, but in a toga with Shirley Temple hair
Talon becomes a glowing-eyed demon with black blood out of loving nowhere
Groovy Zil isn't a peaceful hippy anymore, he's throwing the horns and being intense!!! at something just out of frame

It's not a huge problem and I understand how petty I must seem with this stuff, but it's such a bummer after the King of Fabulousness...

Although I am legitimately upset about Rumble and some of the Shaco ones. Not only about not understanding what makes a killer clown scary, but did no one even check the wiki before starting on the new art and see that Rumble doesn't have a loving gun? How does your official art of the character your company designed not understand the basic parts of the character? Let alone to actually go through the effort to draw a flamethrower, complete with fuel canister and gas lines for the pilot light that ignites the FUEL that leaves the barrel, and then decide that bullets magic themselves into the flamethrower and shell casings fly out of his rear end? His tiki skin has the exact same problem of shooting bullets out of his flamethrower, but at least they show that not working instead of turning it into a minigun for some stupid reason

E: I guess Ryze looks ok too, but his changes are mostly minor ones

The Door Frame fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Apr 6, 2016

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I feel like the LW side items should be better, work together, or at least have other items to build with them. Grievous wounds are so important now that bruisers are ruling the meta, but the < 1000g item to apply them on basic attacks kinda sucks and locks you out of Dominik if you complete Mortal Reminder. Why not bring back the Zephyr and make AS, AD, CD and grievous wounds instead of MS? I think people would buy it then

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

DolphinCop posted:

a lot of people mistakenly buy mortal reminder against soraka because they never read the patch note that grievous wounds doesn't reduce external healing anymore

I am that mistake. What the gently caress Riot?

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I love mecha Sion's ult animation. I love it so drat much. Give him BC, FM, speed boots and the furor enchant. Your passive combines with them to get double/tripple kills in teamfights even if you're killed because no one can escape him

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Do they get on hit bonuses from The Black Cleaver? It just says "deal physical damage" instead of "spell', "basic attack", or "ability" like other on hit bonuses, so I think BC might be a horrifying addition to his kit

E: I still hate the MMR calculator, even after the "overhaul". 11 game winning streak, jumped 2 tiers without a loss, and I'm getting less and less LP every win. Even though I'm consistently winning and moving up the ladder, all of the MMR calculators say that I haven't gained or lost any points since I ended my losing streak, which is just bonkers

The Door Frame fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Apr 21, 2016

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

DolphinCop posted:

sion support how-to guide:

1) enter bush
2) the bush is now yours. guard it with your life

basically just exploit his stun's range indicator being invisible if they cant see you to the fullest maximum potential

So Rengar supp, but better because Sion has a real health pool and 3 cc attacks

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Mikujin posted:

This. Sion is middle-of-the-pack for base HP at level 1, but his HP/level growth is 4th worst, with his base 18 pool ending up at 10th worst across all champions (he actually has fewer base HP at 18 than Sona).

Sion's extra bulk comes almost exclusively from the fact that he likes to build defensively/bulky and that in a solo lane he'll get enough CS to more than supplement his growths (perfect CS at 20 minutes starting with Soul Furnace still doesn't even get him to highest "base", and not maintaining perfection drives him down the list).

Oh yeah I forget about that... I usually jungle with him, and since he gets 5x as much HP for killing large monsters instead of minions, I end up with at least 400 HP from his W passive. And then the bonus %maxHP from Cinderhulk, I routinely hit ~6k HP at full build with only half of my items giving any HP. I think I will ruin someone's normal game tonight and try it

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I love Mecha Sion's animations and his incidental dialogue has some of the better lines in the game, but for the love of God they need to shut him the gently caress up. He will never shut his drat mouth if you have a decent APM. I want to hear his voice clips, I really do, but I would like to hear them a little bit less often

Tired Moritz posted:

man, they really fail at that, huh? I remember Soraka not being much of a problem pre-rework/wounds changes.

She was a serious problem in lane if your own laning partner wasn't the brightest bulb, but she wasn't exactly the team fight dominating monster she is now. I love Raka more than most people, but even I think she's been too powerful this season. Especially with everyone taking SV now

Aerox posted:

Someone with talent please make a Red Pill Zilean skin.

You barely need to change his Blood Moon Skin, just give him dumb sunglasses, make his robe/kimono thing leather, and put gel pills in his hands

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

He'd have better luck with Quinn or Graves

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I was blaming Yasuo for our loss, but holy poo poo, how do you gently caress up being Tryn that badly?

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Mikujin posted:

As if it somehow needs pointing out: Bronze 5.

You could have just ended the post there haha. Duo jungle is the best plan ever

The Mattybee posted:

Motherfucker do I have to go through and tear apart all of your games again

I did that like a year ago and apparently you listened to nothing I said ever

Not true at all, my KDA is better than last season, I am better at warding/building, I get good CS, and I'm not struggling to climb tiers anymore
If I just wanted to win all of the time I'd play nothing but Sion, Raka, Moaki, or Galio, refine builds, get better with jungle clears, practice positioning in team fights, and practice laning tactics. But that's kinda boring to do every single game, so I advance a rank with and then gently caress around because I only have to win 1 out of the next 2-3 games as soon as I get into promos and I can keep my rank up.

I should probably do that stuff in Normals, but I'm too lazy to click on another queue :effort:

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

RYang posted:

You were bronze IV a year ago.

You are bronze IV today.

Bronze 3 :smug:

Elentor posted:

If you're terrible at the game like me play and build tanky stuff so your positioning mistakes are forgiven by math.

That's why I love to play Sion, so anything that does manage to whittle down my HP pool can't stop my corpse from punching them to death afterwards

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Gridlocked posted:

Ping can be very server dependent, you may have gotten a lovely server for your test.

In LoL stuff: Can anyone give me a Kha'zix crash course? I had only mild success in my first time playing as him last night my two big issues are: I'm currently only using my Ulti to reset the passive rather than as a tool for engage/disengage and I'm not sure what items are great; I see people say "Get Duskblade" but champion.gg has DD and TBC as the big winners.

Play him kind of like a mix between Talon and Rengo.

Leap is your bestest friend foreverest and is an amazing engage/disengage tool. Really, your ult is more for engaging specific targets in a group of enemies and for cheap, early ganks, not your primary method. I can't get the build right enough to play him regularly, but Black Cleaver is great for not dying/taking on less squishy enemies and Ghostblade works wonders with the evolved Camo to make you into a real headache for the other team. Death's Dance has never been super high on my priority list, but I could see it having a similar use to BC if you take Dominik with it

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Illoai supp is essentially the same as Vel supp in my mind. She's who you pick if you aren't confident in your ADC and want to make sure whatever is in bottom lane dies, even if it costs your ADC a lot of missed kills. Illoai is horribly outclassed by Taric, Braum, Blitz, Leona, Nami, Janna and Raka, but against a weaker, heal-less supp like Thresh, Zyra, or Lux, she's a legitimate threat and real lane bully.

I don't know if that will last with the changes to her E, but she "works" as a supp as long as you only build Eye of the Equinox and zz for support items, then build her normal bruiser kit

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

How Rude posted:

smugness aside, Illaoi support is real awful trash garbage. you are putting a melee champion with no crowd control that needs items to do anything midgame in the role that should be able to Do Things midgame with minimal gold. She isn't even semi-reliable like J4 Lux or Pantheon "support", she has straight up no utility or redeeming qualities for the role.

Yeah, like I said, she's completely outclassed by real supports, but against weaker ones, or paired with a bad ADC, she can hold/control the lane through tentacle smashes. I stopped taking her pretty early in the season because people finally learned how to not die to her E while trying to back, and learned to focus her when she pulls their spirit. I'd assume that now that the novelty has worn off and everyone build tank anyways, she's significantly less useful to the team, but the last time I played her she was still fairly strong, if not the most helpful lane companion

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

I play Shen support

I used to play him everywhere... I miss his old Q and its heal. I did play a game as top New Shen and it went well, but I'm hesitant to go back to maining jungle Shen

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

Zyra is already good, her poke is just inconsistent because of the plant AI and also her passive is trashssive

Her passive is meh for a solo laner, but her plants are just loving frustrating. Nothing like rooting a champ with two melee plants next to him, only to have them striking minions instead. Plus they die waaay too easily, it feels like their HP doesn't scale at all and I can't find a tooltip that clearly indicates their HP or defenses

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I wish it was consistent, predictable damage, like Yorrick's ghosts, but I can't argue that they do quite a lot when they get going

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

a medical mystery posted:

if you get in range to right click they consider looking at your right click target for like 3 seconds but lol if youre ever in range to right click

Plus, if you're in range for Zyra to AA her enemies, you usually have much bigger problems than what your plants are targeting, like the very finite time on her root.
I hope they upgrade her seeds to slow like Mao or Jihn, so she has a defensive use for them. Or at least increase their duration so that she can realistically use them as vision traps

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

RealFoxy posted:

Um, no not even close. Vel'Koz has a lot of poke and reasonable CC to follow-up on, can deal pretty good damage at most points of a game. Illaoi is a burst Juggernaut that has an annoying mechanic to lane against and does nothing without items.

Both lvl 6 Illoai and Vel can singlehandedly kill enemy ADC, supp, and a ganker with limited help from their own ADC if pressed. They can both, if not win, at least hold, solo bot if need be. In my mind, you would pick them for the same reason, so they get lumped together regardless of their respective strengths or abilities. I think this is where the confusion of my "Illoai is basically the same support as Vel" statement is coming from.

I would also lump Morg, Ziggs, Lux, Annie, Morde, Trundle, Quinn, and Aniva in that same category of "laning partner who will kind of support the ADC, but is really there to do what the ADC can't." Blitz, Sona, and some other hard supps could feasibly fall in that category too, but they are built for supporting instead of being solo laners who can thrive early-mid game on the razor thin margins of a support budget, and then build out from that early lead

I could be wrong in my weird, meta-classifications of supports, but I'm well aware that Illoai has different strengths and abilities from Vel-Koz. I'm not great by any stretch of the imagination, but I am definitely not that bad at this game

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Bholder posted:

But you can be a retard who whiffs Q every time it's off cooldown and you can still land hooks by accident!

Better than Thresh or Naut, you don't fly into the enemy on bad hooks

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

RealFoxy posted:

Why are you playing Morde, Quinn, Lux, Ziggs, and Anivia support

I only play Quinn out of those, but the other 4 are common enough to see one every fifth or sixth game. Less so Morde since people bitched enough to nerf the EXP share and let him solo lane, but I still see one every so often. Also, I remember a recent 2-3 page long slapfight about Lux's viability as a support, so I don't know why you'd be surprised at all to see her on the list

And I play Quinn to live the gimmick of "Quinn can do anything".
She turns into an AD scaling caster if you support with her. She has a blind that scales with AP so you can build the frosty eye supp item and Banner without wasting too much inventory space, she has a slow/dash, and she has a vision ability; so she actually has some utility in her kit besides just the gimmick. Plus, you can build the weirder items that ADC's never actually use like Mortal Reminder or Wit's End so that you can have utility in team fights.
It's really more of a thing to do if you're bored or if you know for a fact that you need a second ADC in lane who can do things besides shoot fast and crit. I wouldn't recommend her for serious play in almost any situation, but it is more viable than any other ADC in the support role

Y'all are so drat serious about what a champion can and can't do, experiment a little, have fun with the game. How else would we have Tank Ekko, Jungle Graves, Panth Mid, Brand Supp, and all of those out of place champions that dominate the meta if everyone played their champion in its designated role with its intended build? I get that it's not "just a game" since pro play has real money on the line, but try new things and enjoy the dumb fun of it because for the grand majority of us, it's just a game

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Firebert posted:

But, none of these are crazy out of place? People have been building Ekko tank since his release because his kit is absurd, Graves' clears are insane and he takes no damage from monsters, Panth shits on squishies, and mages have been played as support since the beginning of time.

AP Quinn support or Ziggs support or Illaoi support is loving absurd and useless.

Firebert posted:

mages have been played as support since the beginning of time.
Ziggs support is loving absurd and useless.

Right, I forgot Ziggs was a bruiser
And that assassin is synonymous with tank. And that Quinn and Graves, both ADC's built for laning, specifically retooled for laning, are some of the best Junglers this season. And that we just had a page defending "Tank Karma" builds. But that's not out of character or against what those champions are designed for at all

Say what you want, but I would be more upset with Urgot ADC than a gimmick support, and he is supposed to be an ADC.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

kingcobweb posted:

Like I played twitch mid a couple times, it is bad, don't do it

The Door Frame posted:

It's really more of a thing to do if you're bored... I wouldn't recommend her for serious play in almost any situation

:thejoke:

I write my experiences playing the relevant champions because I don't mind looking silly while playing League, but I don't think I've actually said that it was a good idea to play any of the champions I mentioned as supports. I know I said Illoai used to work, but I also said that I stopped playing her anymore because people learned how to fight against her, and that that inexperience was more than half of the reason she worked at all.

Bottom of the ladder seems to be a completely different game than most of the posters here experience. I would recommend smurfing a bit, you get to experience all of the madness that happens when you have a bunch of lovely players, a couple of super toxic douchenozzles, a bunch of smurfs, and a bunch of tryhards who suck, all in the same game

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

blah_blah posted:

I'm not sure why you would think that either Quinn or Graves are built for laning or were reworked to make them better laners. When you look at Quinn's reworked ult, you really shouldn't be thinking 'boy ... they sure did retool her for laning'.

Support is actually not that flexible of a role. You need lots of CC, lots of poke with good bases and reasonable mana costs, or lots of sustain/shields that can be cast on opposing champions, and at least *some* utility to make yourself viable in the role. You can't scale off AD/AS because there is no good build path for you, and you have to have a decent early game. There are actually a surprisingly low number of champions in the game that fit that description.

Midlane is actually a very flexible role as long as you're not blind picking, which is why off-meta stuff like Irelia/Yi/Wukong/J4/Pantheon/Quinn are all viable and in some cases very strong in the matchup. Probably close to half the champions in the game are viable in mid, as long as you aren't picking first.

Eh, I say that for the same reason that Urgot and Morde are "ADC's", they were part of the marksmen update that focused on ADC's. Plus, almost every patch, their ability to jungle goes down a little bit more, like just this patch, Graves' direct AD->Damage ratio got slightly nerfed and his crits were buffed. Most jungle builds don't add in crit chance until later in the game, and even then, it's rarely higher than 60%, which leads me to believe they intend to gently push him towards lane. Top lane, if need be, but lane in general

Support is extremely flexible as long as both sides are being just as flexible. As I say almost every single time, real supports completely outclass gimmicks, but if the enemy has no real supports by their 4th pick, you're generally safe with Heimer, Aniva, or whoever has a respectable health pool, some CC, or just high enough base stats to secure early kills.
That's actually a lot of the reason I stopped maining support, even though I love support champions. As I got slightly higher MMR, I would run into more Sonas, Rakas, Blitzes, and the like, and they would wreck my gimicky poo poo. As much as I love doing stupid poo poo, I like winning more, so I moved into the jungle and into top lane, where dumb bullshit is just par for the course.

Where else could my most successful champion be a tank built specifically for kamikaze attacks, if not the jungle?

E:

Verviticus posted:

arent you bronze 3? yes you are

I'm better than 16% of all of the players on the NA servers. As sad as that is, by virtue of the legions of shitmongers who play this game, I'm statistically not that bad. Not great, but better than 1/6 of everyone on the continent who plays ranked

The Door Frame fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Apr 29, 2016

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Verviticus posted:

its not obvious

you are very below average. you are quite bad

Eh, fair enough. I would argue that that I'm still better than a couple hundred thousand players, but that's a bit of a facile argument and I hill I wouldn't choose to die on

I just wish that at least the client worked the way I wanted it to. I've been unable to login all afternoon and just want my League fix before I have to study more

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

KicksYouInHalf posted:

im not literally the worst player on the planet, okay????

See? This guy gets it.

I was going by the number of ranked tiers: bronze, silver, gold, platinum, diamond, master, challenger. Bronze is 1/7 of number of tiers, and me being 1/6 of the way up of the ladder made total sense until I actually thought about it. Hence my immediate admission of it being a facile argument

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Zmej posted:

so your rank from last seasons affects you, right? because I once placed in bronze years ago with a friend. then last time I duo'd my friend got gold and I got silver. I was p salty.

so if I try again this year, will I run into the same problem?

quote:

A baseline MMR has been changed by the latest Riot patch. (2016/2/20)

Maybe? I remember a lot of people complaining that they got placed lower than they used to be, but it self corrects fairly quickly

• Locked thread