Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

kingcobweb posted:

No you don't, you just click behind you. There are very few skills that facing matters on in League (Corki, Rumble, and for enemies Cassio)

Shaco's backstab damage too, not sure why that's still in the game but it feels very antiquated

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

there's plenty of other champs whose signature thing is on basic abilities and have a tacked-on "just give 'em some extra AoE for teamfights" ult (Braum, Viktor, Illaoi, Aatrox, etc)

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

ah yess another member of the list of former top laners who will never be good in lane ever again because sated devourer, a jungle item, is in the game

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Shyvana will probably still be playable but this feels like yet another setup for the 'nerf champs that are strong due to overtuned jungle item' -> 'nerf the item a patch later' progression that we've seen so many times

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Tequila Sunrise posted:

So in an earlier PBE build they gave Maokai MR per level, like 1.3 I think. Is this still on there? Latest patch notes don't mention it. If this is, combined with the sapling buff, it may be high time for pine time.

that's in the current PBE cycle, hasn't gotten to live yet but it will

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

op.gg has a fancy new stats page up, similar to champion.gg but has even more stuff. first thing i've noticed is that Maw is one of the highest winrate items on just about every AD champ in the game right now, it's not a great time to be doing magic damage these days.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Illaoi is really not that bad, she needs some small QoL changes but she's good at the things she does and is only slightly below average on winrate right now. Remember Tahm Kench and Darius's reigns of terror and be careful what you wish for re: buffing tanky champs that do a lot of damage. You probably don't want Illaoi to be good enough to be in every game.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Tank Ekko top is pretty strong, once again grasp of the undying just makes all sorts of bullshit viable. Sunfire cape, frozen fist, and just do hit and run trades with the move speed from your passive as often as possible.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Agree that playing too many champions is definitely the easiest mistake to make in this game if you care about improving/climbing. I fall victim to it all the time myself, it's easy to watch some streamer crushing with a new build or read some emphatic post in this thread about how Champion X is secret OP right now and then go and play a couple mediocre games with it in ranked and then next thing you know you have 40 champions played on the season and you're not particularly good at any of them.

If you really want to tryhard climb you should have a default pick for each of your 2 roles, and then 1-2 backup picks for when your main pick has a bad matchup or is out of place in the teamcomp. You can reevaluate and rotate your picks over time as patches change things but it's really rare for a champ to become truly unplayable or truly must-pick in low elo solo queue so you should make sure you're switching it up for your own enjoyment and not just based on hype.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Graves is still a little too strong but he's not really a big problem, just another manifestation of the larger trend of there being way more damage in the game this season than last

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Sexpansion posted:

Also, armor got more expensive and MR got less expensive. Graves, Talon, Zed, etc. are much more viable when maw of malmortius is really good.

Yeah that item is Problematic

I wish Frozen Heart didn't feel so useless now, it used to be one of my favorite items but now if you buy it vs attack speed champs you die anyway to the sated devourer or rageblade since you have no health to soak up the magic damage.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

What do you evolve now on Kha

quick im on the loading screen

I assume it's still Q level 6, E level 11. The other 2 aren't nearly as strong.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

I understand why they made Zhonya's really stat-inefficient since the active is nuts, but I feel like it leaves an itemization gap that could be filled with another seeker's armguard upgrade that's more about the stats

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

I'm still not sure why they're okay with grasp of the undying charging up on minions when they removed that functionality from the other keystones several patches ago. It makes tanks really hard to beat in lane since they don't actually have to expose themselves for the full 4 seconds, they just have to auto once and kite away.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Kashuno posted:

I wasn't playing when they did the ADC update, was their original itemization change plan for that update half as wild as this one is?

aside from numbers tweaks i think everything from the adc update made it to live, so not really. people had a similar reaction to death's dance at the time though, saying that it was going to break [list of champions] and then no one bought it for months when it hit live. the community is not always great at evaluating things.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

foutre posted:

^^^^^
Flash feast 2.0.

Hopefully it will have a similar travel speed as LeBlanc w or even Ahri ultimate so I can make those sick flay denies. This is definitely one of those items that'll be tough to judge until it comes out.

It does seem interesting but definitely a prime candidate for "strong on X champ, let's nerf champ and then the item" as people have suggested.

It's listed at 1200 dash speed which is a bit slower than leblanc W

It's really pretty conservative for a mobility item, I wouldn't be surprised if it makes it through testing especially if the item's stats are undertuned to account for it like on zhonya.

edit: did the math and it's about at 100% stat efficiency so it's not like zhonya where you're paying 500 gold for the active.

Tales of Woe fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Apr 7, 2016

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

I hope solo queue never comes back

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

yorick ult does 100000 true damage to the revenant to kill it when it runs out, they must have accidentally made the damage tracker count that

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

also http://na.op.gg for player stats if that's what you're looking for

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

lucifirius posted:

Since when did Vel'koz have the highest winrate for mid? 53.54%, then Pantheon.

he's been around 52-53% for basically his entire existence, there's just always been some other mage that was higher before now, so he flew under the radar

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Illaoi is good and cool

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

I would still queue solo into dynamic queue even if they brought solo queue back, I don't want to play with 100% tryhard solo carry or die trying players.

I think the main reason they're balking at it is now that they've seen how much longer queue times are at most elos on new champ select (i've gone from 20-30 seconds to several minutes in silver) they don't think fracturing the player base further is healthy for the game, and I'd agree with that.

Of course, I suspect a major underlying cause here is their inability to sell the support role to the required 1/5th of the playerbase, it's come a long way in power level and game impact since season 3 but still no one wants to play it.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

If they actually did what Lyte said and doubled or tripled the IP for supp that would go a long way.

Yeah I support this idea still, you'd likely have to only award the bonus on wins in order to curb the number of people queuing as support for the bonus without the intention of actually playing support in-game, but it'd definitely help.

i think the support role being framed as the ADC babysitter for so long really hurt its perception, people freaking love lee sin jungle which has a comparable power curve to a support

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

I've played 160 ranked games so far this season and have only had 2 or 3 games where I was the 1 in a 1+4. The only one of those that was a bad experience was the one where I was playing jungle and my teammates weren't following up on my ganks or initiations; the others I played top lane and let the 4-stack make the majority of the plays and it didn't really feel any different from a solo queue game. I can deal with this every so often if it's the price of having the entire playerbase in one queue.

Also, the level of toxicity in my ranked games is wayyyy down from previous seasons but that's probably more attributable to new champ select than dynamic queue

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

I've disconnected from a couple games this season without getting put in low priority queue, maybe lyte just doesn't like you

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

if support is a huge bottleneck in dynamic queue where there's still duos who want to play bot lane together and such, imagine how bad it would be in a solo only queue. how many support players are actually going to ditch the queue where they can support their friends for the one where they're stuck with a random tryhard egomaniacal adc player?

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

the follow-up changes on morde made him a playable solo laner again, you can basically just play him the same as before the rework now except he has a bit of sustain with the W so you don't need WotA and can rush Rylai's instead

stormraiders surge is very good on him

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

they've gotten most of the assassins to reasonable spots at this point, i'd say only Akali, Talon, Evelynn, and Rengar need significant reworks.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Udyr doesn't really belong in that list, he wants to be chasing people or being chased around the map at 100mph, not standing in the middle of 5 enemies

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

does aatrox actually lose to maokai 1v1 now with even items/levels or did i just do something horribly wrong?

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

How Rude posted:

aatrox is weak as hell and has few good matchups toplane. tanks in general at the moment roll over auto attacking AD toplaners pretty hard with Icebourne Sunfire.

if you want to play an AD damagey toplaner Fiora, Pantheon, and Gangplank are much better options for beating up tanks early.

my irelia was banned in this particular game and aatrox is my next best carry top and has the best winrate vs maokai in champion.gg data so i thought it'd be a fine pick

but instead he just outdamaged my sustain with base damage alone. to be fair i did solo kill him before he finished sunfire but after that it was all over

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Yeah thanks for the ideas. It's just counterintuitive when sustained damage + sustain champs aren't naturally beating tanks in lane since it seems like that should be the 'counter'

i'm annoyed that they reverted that grasp of the undying nerf on pbe, they've changed all the other ones to be less powerful in the laning phase but not that one and it's really heavily dictating what's being played in top lane now

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

I think its because fundamentally League is such a meat mash / let numbers decide game, that play elements like kiting are non existent

actually kiting is really really strong in this game, its just that it's hard to convince your teammates to not run directly at the other team on sight in solo queue

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Zhonyas and Abyssal becoming CDR items (plus the new dash item) is probably going to obsolete CDR runes on solo laners

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Prokhor posted:

I've made the best decision of my life and made my new account YorickOTP. I suppose I should have played Yorick before I made this decision but things are going well. Does anyone have any experience playing him? He feels like he clears the jungle really well just kiting camps with ghouls but he has no CC at all so actually being a jungler is not something I do but it's free money later. Mana is my greatest weakness with Yorick. That, and CS. Do you just keep dropping ghouls on your enemy laner or do you use them to finish off creeps and increase your damage to push faster. Am I being too aggressive with my ghouls? I find that he runs out of mana super fast. YOOOOORICK

this is brave considering yorick is next up to get a full scale rework now that taric is done. he's also not in a great place until then, he's a former extreme lane bully who's been falling behind in the toplane arms race and has to work harder to win lane now. i think they said they want to turn him into the waveclear/wave control juggernaut as his niche but i have no idea what that looks like in practice. try to imagine ziggs as a bruiser i guess. i can't.

manamune is essentially mandatory on him. iceborn gauntlet has better synergy with the manamune but he also is one of the better black cleaver stackers (ghouls apply stacks) so your 2nd damage item should probably be one of those two depending on whether the enemy team has a frontline to shred. i wouldn't build more than 2 damage items on yorick.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

vayne is still in a lot of games in silver world

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Are there any viable bruisers left other than Irelia who can rush trinity force and then build all defensive items while running around the map killing people? Jax used to be another but rageblade/gunblade is too good to pass up on him now. Hecarim? This has always been my favorite toplane build but people are starting to ban Irelia now so I need a backup.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Firebert posted:

I think Irelia rushes Rageblade too, I think Hecarim is the only one left that goes tri into full tank.

I've been skipping rageblade on Irelia unless my teamcomp is garbage and I'm planning to split most of the game, it's definitely not as good on her as on Jax and it really makes it a lot more difficult to roam or teamfight successfully when you don't have all of your combat stats up front.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

zed just had a high winrate/playrate for a few patches recently before the W nerf, i think banning him is fine under those circumstances. for most of his lifetime he's been a classic '48% winrate but people are scared of playing against him' champ though, same deal as leblanc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

my ban priority is always extreme outliers (currently Ekko) > teammate requests > champs with high pick rates and good win rates (currently Graves, Soraka, Blitz)

also there's too many champs that do close enough to the same thing as Zed for 'he could get fed and 1-shot people' to be a legitimate ban reason, whereas if you ban Soraka or Blitz then you're guaranteed to not have to deal with their poo poo since they're unique on the roster

• Locked thread