Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Firebert posted:

But I really hate Soraka...

Soraka isn't even close to banworthy right now and the reasons people ban her are 1) not understanding how good other supports are 2) that copy/paste story of the monkeys at the bottom of the stairs except the water spray is playing against pre-nerf Soraka

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Wuntvor posted:

I did like my Soraka support as Kog though... Just sat in lane farming until I had like 4.8k gold, bought some items and won the game.

Soraka isn't a *bad* support. If my lane's win condition is "survive laning" then she's an excellent support. If she's not banned and I'm against Janna I'd play Soraka.

But she's still just a healer. She has zero engage, bad disengage, no way to peel people off of her, high mana costs, and the least CC of any support.

She's basically a laning phase gimmick support a la Brand.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Kog is so broken that today I supported a Kog who used his Q and we still won.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

K8.0 posted:

gently caress that. At low elo people are absolutely retarded and will happily go teamfight in the jungle while a wave takes a tower. You should not let this happen if you are a support that has any form of waveclear (So... Blitz, Naut, Vel'koz, Brand, Zyra, Vel'Koz, Zilean). Losing a tower is way worse than your team going 2 for 3 instead of 3 for 2 in a teamfight that no objectives are taken off anyway.

Don't ever buy Sunfire on a support though. It just does nothing good at all.

No

Stop

No

You're wrong.

Support your team and then tell them what to do once you've won the fight.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

a medical mystery posted:

1.) avoid counterjunglers

2.) counterjungle

3.) level 2 cheese gank

4.) being bad at League of Legends

A friend of mine starts buff so that he can kill on an invade. This doesn't sound notable but he does it as Nautilus

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Generic Octopus posted:

I build devo on junglers when problems come along, or when something's going wrong. I find it helps me get straight, go forward, and move ahead.

Devo Udyr and open the gates of steel

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Q. Do You Not Gank? A. We Are Devo

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Legit I don't jungle a champ till I've done multiple solo clears in customs with them. It's actually really important to know the following:

-can I jungle without a leash on either side?
-is it better to start top or bot if I don't get a leash?
-can I go refillable?
-what if I'm half hp from an invade?

I also use it to tune runes/masteries

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Sicke posted:

I think I may stop playing ranked for a while. This dropped me from promos to Bronze 1 all the down to 0 LP Bronze 3. And the worst thing is I won my lane most of the time in these games

Post a replay if you want some Hot Plat Tips!!! Not Taric I don't play Taric. Or Morg really. Basically post a Janna game.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Played Jhin for free, he seems pretty rad+fun tbh. Hate adc though, how badly do i sabotage my team if I take him mid?

Pretty bad. You can play him mid and have it work in the same way that almost any ADC "works" mid, but he doesn't offer the roaming and pushing power that, imo, makes a midlaner a midlaner.

I've had the pleasure of supporting someone who actually did really well multiple times with Jhin. The main difference, I think, is playing him as a bully instead of farming passively (which I see a lot of people advocating). I think 2v2 laning is one of his strengths, with the poke damage from the crit bullet. What he was doing differently from other/worse Jhins was using that bullet on the enemy every time. With a utility or mage support, it makes it really easy to coordinate harass for a ton of damage with minimal mana used. I played Janna, and he just did CS/CS/CS/trade with Janna shield, over and over until their ADC had to leave lane. Also, use Q to CS while reloading instead of Q to harass and CS with autos. This should make it so you get 100% of CS.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Stefan Prodan posted:

So unfortunately it looks like my GP gravy train is comin to an end, which makes me sad because it was my first champ I played a lot and the first champ I ever bought a skin for but anyway

Assuming the 3 keg limit is too much to overcome and still be good for a non-pro shitter like me, any suggestions for a top laner that has a similar playstyle top? As in, someone who can generally be pretty safe and farm-centric and doesn't have many bad matchups but can still contribute a lot to team later. I would go back to playing Pantheon or something but I just feel like there's such a proliferation of like malphite and nautilus and poo poo that I would just be sitting up there farming and then falling off later. I used to play Rumble a bunch and he might be ok after the tweaks/buffs but I kinda feel like it's gonna take more than what he's getting tonight to get him out of the dumpster.

You answered your own question, friend

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Stefan Prodan posted:

but I hate those guuuuuys

I mean part of it is i just kinda like hipster picks that not a ton of people play, even though GP sees a lot of pro pick/bans I hardly ever see him in our games, that's part of the reason I play nocturne jungle a lot too

Kennen, Kayle, Trundle, Diana

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Diana owns, she's a champ with no kill pressure pre-6 that still pushes the wave super hard so she has absolutely zero ways to escape a gank especially since usually you don't take your E until level 7 or 8

Wait that's why she sucks. GOd drat it.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Both of these toplaners deserve death

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Verviticus posted:

soloqteleport.gif.avi

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Verviticus posted:

fiddlesticks hit literally 0 people with his ult the entire game. he frequently ulted to like, kill wraiths or something? i have no idea

I diagnose your team with an acute case of Playing Against Janna

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Servaetes posted:

I still don't want to hear your guide about Janna I'm sorry man

Here it is https://www.reddit.com/r/leagueoflegends/comments/47ug09/an_alternate_guide_for_when_to_play_what_support/

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
How about when you could instantly recall and they disabled ranked

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

K8.0 posted:

Yasuo looking like Singed is definitely a weird bug.

Almost as many dashes as Ekko

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

The Crusher posted:

I liked the one where mashing the sight trinket button allowed Sion's ult to turn on a dime.

And the other one where you could just press H

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Luna Was Here posted:

Who is professor milk

He makes funny videos

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
"All these bronze players are awful people that never pick crowd control. Not like me, the true lord and savior who doesn't belong in this shithole, so I'll get out using Master Yi" -a permanently bronze player

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
I watched the Naut loss and tried to record commentary, but my mic was off the whole time :|

You're in bronze because you don't understand the basics of how bot lane works.
  • hit level two first
  • kill them
  • you've won the lane, that's it

So the way to play a melee support at level one is very clear-cut. You use a charge on the first minion, then back off the wave. You go up to the second wave (melees), and auto them constantly until they're all dead. As the last one dies, you move up to the opponents and throw out your engage the split-second you hit 2. Instead, here's what you did:
  • use charges on first wave (I think?)
  • stand around taking Cait autos and Malph Q's
  • run away from them because you're at half HP even while chugging pots
  • hit level two after them
  • lose an all-in because you had half their combined HP
And the lane is basically over from there. There were other mistakes, but for now, the step-one-subsection-one of being a decent support is achieving and winning the level two all-in.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

rabidsquid posted:

Help thread I can't decide between buying Lucian and Draven

Lucian

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Gridlocked posted:

Ok so I'm apperntly a retard because I always use my first 2 shield charges as melee support on the first wave.

Why do you use one then back off? I'm sure you recover one in time to use it on the cannon on wave 3.

Is it because it causes you to push the wave and make the level 2 all in harder?

The reason you use the first one immediately is so that it recharges for the cannon.

The reason you save it for the second wave is exactly what you said, it speeds up the push for level 2 by a few autoattacks worth of time.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Lady Naga posted:

Do you wanna pay my debts?

Just straighten out those parentheses into absolute value

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Kashuno posted:

I can't wait to see DRAGON WHO DESTROYS WORLDS get owned by such powerful beings as yordle with a blowgun, guy with a pistol, and girl who shoots rainbows.

Kindred is literally Death yet needs help at level one to kill a frog on shrooms

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
that site told me my AP Zac game where I did awful and was mindlessly carried by our MF was masters-tier. Man, being good at League seems so easy when everyone else on the team wins hard

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

rabidsquid posted:

What is that website? Also does any website exist that shows the old stats that carry.gg did, I know one popped up for awhile but closed down already

triumph.gg but it kinda sucks, imo

I still want to know what that site is that someone screencapped that showed winrate by time of day! That one seems great!

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
gently caress

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

wodin posted:

I've been learning top lane this season, and it's generally been a lot of fun. However, I really have no idea how to handle a strong ganking jungler getting up in my business. The thought is that I simply hang back near the turret and farm, but that feels like it puts my opponent too far ahead and I ultimately end up losing a lot of farm. It's made a little worse by playing Illaoi who needs to bully early, but still.

Any particular recommendations?

Learn how to manage a wave so you can bully without pushing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oy1SgaDlAB0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XYUCsioJBQ

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Lady Naga posted:

I've yet to find a secondary role I really like. I loved playing mid in DOTA but for whatever reason I can't stand most AP casters in League. Jungle is something that's theoretically appealing to me as a shitter who'd rather farm a bunch and solo but the skill floor is much higher than most other lanes and I hate having to decide when to gank and when to farm. I used to really like support but it seems like it's getting harder and harder to find decent ADCs and I hate not being able to make the plays all by myself.

The free champ rotation this week sucks really bad too.

Support owns, try Leona, who's probably the most HAM playmaking champ in the game

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Yeah it's not as much fun now that it's mainstream :( used to roll up to the lane with the only zzrot and now I don't even finish it first

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

henkman posted:

zz'rot/banner of command was my favorite build on supports. When I saw top laners in LCS build it I knew my secret FreeLo Green build was done for

Dude I was trying to hype this build MONTHS ago and people thought I was just bein goofy

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Speaking of being terrible and in bronze, could I ask for some critique?

http://www.replay.gg/search/na/Leadout#2115323877
http://www.replay.gg/search/na/Leadout#2115249333

I think I kept my ADC suitably fed and watered in both, and did a fair amount of saving teammates from certain death later in the game, but I also screwed up a lot trying to save teammates from their own screwups and dying in the process. I'm also sure I'm screwing up in plenty of other ways that I'm not even aware of, so I come seeking enlightenment.

Someone already hit most of the points in the first replay but I felt like making a video! So I did!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhmPmxAoQnk

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Daemonlasher posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMsgXYneolY

Champ is pretty horrible though to be honest, all of her power comes from fighting around her tentacles and once people realize that she loses all her fighting capabilities outside of a massive ult. With no tricks to avoid/soak up CC she gets kited super easily.

Out of curiosity would anyone be interested in free coaching / replay reviews? I'm starting up streaming again and setting a more relaxed schedule so I don't feel burnt out, going to do something called teacher Tuesdays/ and maybe thursday, looking to probably stream 3 times a week for now until I get into the groove of things (also school keeps me busy). On Tuesdays I can spend something like 2-3 hours doing 1 to 1 coaching and then spend an hour or so teaching general concepts for everyone else in the stream. If anyone has any ideas please feel free to shoot! For people interested, I can cover any role except jungle up to Diamond, jungle is the only role I really don't play (I mean I can try, it just probably won't be as useful as an actual jungler teaching you.)

I'd love this!! If I wasn't flat broke I'd pay for coaching

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Daemonlasher posted:

Sweet, what's your IGN? I'll add you and ask for skype at some point, I can't do it this week (3 papers + midterm) but I will be starting up the following week. And it's all free of charge since I'm just starting up streaming and trying to get peeps to come hang out.

I'm KillGoldfish, I added you a while back when we were temporary teammates in that disaster of a goon tournament

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Arrgytehpirate posted:

At least you haven't had to dodge ADC Yi, ADC Quinn, and Top Ahri

It's blowing my mind that adc quinn is now something one "has to dodge" instead of her most obviously good role

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Lady Naga posted:

Guys help I...I think I love League :ohdear:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bvwFTLOAtc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Kashuno posted:

Soo I've picked Zac back up and god drat is he fun right now. he is such a total shithead in the jungle and his ganks are preposterous. I have been going W>Q>E to start, then maxing R>E>Q>W for that extra E range on ganks. His clear is still pretty fast and I never feel like I have to go back early. It's awesome.

Edit: I misread. Zac owns

• Locked thread