Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cyclonic
Dec 15, 2005

cyclonic posted:

:siren:Time to keep Smite running on Twitch in the background 24/7 :siren:

Just wanted to confirm this is working now.

I was watching Zapman's stream and got gems and a Paladins chest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

bagrada posted:

I have twitch prime from amazon prime so I did the merge account thing for the janus skin then left it on all weekend and got 50 paladins gems, a paladins cards chest, a current smite odyssey chest and around 100 smite gems in small unlabeled packs (of 20 each maybe?). Possible they saw I was new and were trying to reel me in.

They were packs of 15. I got 8 or 9 of them and two Odyssey chests, almost all on the day of the finals. The funny thing is, the bot notifications kept showing up hours after the stream, I got one at 2am.

primelaw
Apr 4, 2012

The most southern dandy robot judge
Be forewarned. All of my abilities disappeared after I turned back into Morrigan after using her ult to transform into Ah Puch. I fixed it by restarting the game.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

primelaw posted:

Be forewarned. All of my abilities disappeared after I turned back into Morrigan after using her ult to transform into Ah Puch. I fixed it by restarting the game.

I chose Kali while in a training arena match and was too slow to select my favored enemy. When I changed back to Morrigan my character was frozen in place in the middle of the battlefield. Stupidly hit B and then I was frozen in place in the respawn area. Had to quit out.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

primelaw posted:

The Reloggan

its happening to everyone, saw a few streamers get it, i got it at one point. itll be ironed out

Caralad
Aug 13, 2007

Clanker loooves garbage
Decided to finally give Smite a go. Name in game is Caralad, always up for someone holding my hand and telling me what poo poo to buy/do/gank.

coca bojangles
Nov 2, 2011

Superhuman hindsight

Caralad posted:

Decided to finally give Smite a go. Name in game is Caralad, always up for someone holding my hand and telling me what poo poo to buy/do/gank.

Invite sent

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
First Rule of Arena: KILL THE MINIONS

because they do the majority work if you manage to herd them in. By the same maxim, ideally you have at least one person clearing them - that's how I generally go for double hunters, one for minions and one for gods.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Shab posted:

If you want to pubstomp and/or learn the ropes these are the dudes I like to recommend:

Support - Ymir
Assassin - Thanatos
Hunter - Neith
Mage - Anubis
Warrior - Odin

Neith is especially fun because if you play like my girlfriend and push a lane while everyone is fighting in the other (clash) the singular pubby who isn't in your group will go off on one about the "BOT hunter" despite us winning both the fight and getting cash injections from the tower.

This never happens whenever we have her do the same thing as any other character (outside of guardians). Pubbies are weird.

cyclonic
Dec 15, 2005

GuyUpNorth posted:

First Rule of Arena: KILL THE MINIONS

:eng101: Minions are worth more points then kills

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Decided to get back into this after a year or so, currently updating the game now. In-game name is RolandJones; while it'll be a few hours before my game is finished patching (and possibly longer before I actually get in the game if I fall asleep before it's done), I wouldn't mind a guild invitation.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
IŽd have slightly different recommendations:

Guardian: start with Kumbhakarna. Can be extremely powerful and annoying yet his kit is very simple and easy to understand.
Mage: start with Poseidon or Ra. Very powerful, easy clear, no complex ability interactions and in case of Poseidon, no difficult skillshots.

The others are spot on.

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat

Mr. Neutron posted:

IŽd have slightly different recommendations:

Guardian: start with Kumbhakarna. Can be extremely powerful and annoying yet his kit is very simple and easy to understand.
Mage: start with Poseidon or Ra. Very powerful, easy clear, no complex ability interactions and in case of Poseidon, no difficult skillshots.

The others are spot on.

He Bo is the manly noob's mage. KILL OR BE KILLED!

Also he is a very "fast" (and fragile) God in that you are constantly spamming abilities which gives the game a different pace than with long-cooldown gods.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I am sad that Ah Puch is not better. :smith:

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat

dogstile posted:

Neith is especially fun because if you play like my girlfriend and push a lane while everyone is fighting in the other (clash) the singular pubby who isn't in your group will go off on one about the "BOT hunter" despite us winning both the fight and getting cash injections from the tower.

This never happens whenever we have her do the same thing as any other character (outside of guardians). Pubbies are weird.

Neith, Athena, Nu Wa, Janus, Xblanaque, all perfectly cromulent gods to do this with since you can still have a bit of a team fight presence with your ult. In Janus' case it can land to do some damage yes, but even if you miss with it you can follow it across the map in like 2 seconds and join the fight like Athena.

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

Turpitude posted:

He Bo is the manly noob's mage. KILL OR BE KILLED!

Also he is a very "fast" (and fragile) God in that you are constantly spamming abilities which gives the game a different pace than with long-cooldown gods.

Yes, this - there is very little more satisfying in Smite than popping someone up into your ult on He Bo

cyclonic
Dec 15, 2005

Orv posted:

I am sad that Ah Puch is not better. :smith:

He's a lovely version of Zeus.

And new Zeus is a lovely version of old Zeus :colbert:

kojicolnair
Mar 18, 2009
Does anyone know if skadi is bugged or something? I've played her a few times and every match I keep losing the dog randomly and the only fix to get it back is to die. Once the dog is gone I can't use her 2 ability at all and it's quite annoying.

Orv
May 4, 2011

cyclonic posted:

He's a lovely version of Zeus.

And new Zeus is a lovely version of old Zeus :colbert:

Yeah what the gently caress is up with the awful shield throw thing? What was wrong with his old kit, or was it just a case of reworking old stuff because it was old?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Turpitude posted:

Neith, Athena, Nu Wa, Janus, Xblanaque, all perfectly cromulent gods to do this with since you can still have a bit of a team fight presence with your ult. In Janus' case it can land to do some damage yes, but even if you miss with it you can follow it across the map in like 2 seconds and join the fight like Athena.

Yeah, most of the time dudes are just mad that we don't want to get her to waste an ult stunning a guy we're going to catch and kill anyway.

cyclonic
Dec 15, 2005

Orv posted:

Yeah what the gently caress is up with the awful shield throw thing? What was wrong with his old kit, or was it just a case of reworking old stuff because it was old?

Zeus went through a lot of changes.

His detonate used to stun targets if they had three charges on them. His shield was a slow cleanse & immunity that gave protections and reflected back auto-attack damage. And his ult used to have a "charge up" time (it self-rooted him, and took about a second for the initial strike to hit, giving you time to jump out and completely avoid the ult). He was relegated to garbage tier because his clear was awful (other mid mages had stronger clear). He sort of worked as ADC but other ADCs were safer/stronger picks and could outclear him. He was in no-man's land - he fit no role in Conquest.

Then out of nowhere* HiRez decides to buff his ult: they reduce the "charge up" time for the ult and allow it to be deployed anywhere (can now be placed in walls or behind walls without needing line of sight). So some pros pick him up and rack up easy spammy kills, then everyone starts playing him. And the playerbase doesn't know how to react or counter anything (because nobody was playing Zeus in the first place) so they cry for him to get nerfs.

So HiRez starts nerfing him, but oddly enough they also buff things that are making him even more a pain in the rear end to play against: damage is getting reduced but casting times are getting shortened; he's even more spammy but does less base damage. People cry more because the stun mechanic is still allowing Zeus to rack up spammy damage, so HiRez brings the nerf bat and beats the poo poo out of him. Damage is further reduced, ranged is reduced, the detonate-stun is now a slow and then no slow at all. Zeus is back to garbage tier and nobody is playing him again.

So HiRez rekits him.

They decide to fix one weakness by changing his defensive shield into another spammy ability. It helped his clear, and also made his chain lighting actually useful in 1v1 situations. The trade-off is that he lost any kind of defensive or counter measure in his kit, but if you think about it, it's a buff in disguise because he now has three damaging abilities instead of two (besides the ult). Oh and they buff his ult again by making it basically instant-cast.

tl;dr- HiRez didn't have a loving clue what to do with Zeus, and the changes they made didn't make any sense. His original kit had a stun mechanic to help confirm the ult damage, but when they made the ult free ez damage, everyone cried he was OP.

*Not necessarily out of nowhere. This is when HiRez is making "post-hit/post-fire" buffs to every god so that you can start chaining abilities together quickly instead of waiting for a short internal cooldown

Orv
May 4, 2011
Huh, that's what I get for not playing for two years or whatever it was. I hate how he feels now, so I guess it doesn't matter that much since I won't be playing him.

Unrelated, Chaac is pretty fun.

cyclonic
Dec 15, 2005

Chaac is awesome and is a well balanced warrior. He's my recommendation for anyone starting new.

Pimp Drakula
Oct 12, 2013

If you like Chaac try Hades, he's like Magical Chaac and I've been playing him almost exclusively because of how well he seems to contribute to any team composition in the Belligerent Skeleton role (note that I play Arena almost exclusively, this probably applies less in Conquest). Everything he does is big and flashy and falls somewhere between distracting and crippling to the enemy team so with the right build and a little coordination you can have two or three enemies pissed off at you without much recourse while your teammates land unchallenged ults on them.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Shab posted:

If you want to pubstomp and/or learn the ropes these are the dudes I like to recommend:

Support - Ymir
Assassin - Thanatos
Hunter - Neith
Mage - Anubis
Warrior - Odin

I like Arachne as an assassin/jungler as she's one of my favorites. She excels in conquest or siege, and much less so in other modes, but learning her is simple and you can work more on positioning yourself and farming then worrying about someone with a much more nuanced kit.

Here is Nate's 4 step Arachne tutorial:

Step 1: Web your opponent
Step 2: Dump Kit
Step 3: Hold auto-attack button
Step 4: Profit.

Use your ultimate as an escape or a chase down, not as an initiate.

cyclonic
Dec 15, 2005

Roland Jones posted:

Decided to get back into this after a year or so, currently updating the game now. In-game name is RolandJones; while it'll be a few hours before my game is finished patching (and possibly longer before I actually get in the game if I fall asleep before it's done), I wouldn't mind a guild invitation.

Invite sent!

primelaw
Apr 4, 2012

The Nastier Nate posted:

I like Arachne as an assassin/jungler as she's one of my favorites. She excels in conquest or siege, and much less so in other modes, but learning her is simple and you can work more on positioning yourself and farming then worrying about someone with a much more nuanced kit.

Here is Nate's 4 step Arachne tutorial:

Step 1: Web your opponent
Step 2: Dump Kit
Step 3: Hold auto-attack button
Step 4: Profit.

Use your ultimate as an escape or a chase down, not as an initiate.

I really enjoy putting everything into the poison bite first because the healing tends to be ridiculous. I honestly don't have much trouble playing in any game mode except maybe assault though.

I honestly picked up Cabraken as my first guardian, but I'm also a big dumb :v:

cyclonic
Dec 15, 2005

Cabrakan is an assassin in guardian's clothings.

primelaw
Apr 4, 2012

Nothing quite like early soul reaver and Polynomicon and doing 90% of their health in two hits :v:

I actually prefer him over most assassins since he can take a bruising too.

cyclonic
Dec 15, 2005

kojicolnair posted:

Does anyone know if skadi is bugged or something? I've played her a few times and every match I keep losing the dog randomly and the only fix to get it back is to die. Once the dog is gone I can't use her 2 ability at all and it's quite annoying.

I haven't played Skadi yet, but there's a reddit post discussing this.

So it's not just you.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Pimp Drakula posted:

If you like Chaac try Hades, he's like Magical Chaac and I've been playing him almost exclusively because of how well he seems to contribute to any team composition in the Belligerent Skeleton role (note that I play Arena almost exclusively, this probably applies less in Conquest). Everything he does is big and flashy and falls somewhere between distracting and crippling to the enemy team so with the right build and a little coordination you can have two or three enemies pissed off at you without much recourse while your teammates land unchallenged ults on them.

Hades used to be a guardian but he started becoming a top pick in solo lane because of his clear and ability to farm safely because he had the magic damage and defense to do it and a sustain on top of that. He used to be a nightmare to deal with to warriors,because a)range b)ult, also he could steal your solo jungle buff without impunity, just walk away scot free even if you were hitting it because he can just burrow right to it and poke it down harder than you.

also my best The Morrigan game, only died at the titan to a random janus ult, he fired one off lucky at our group, i didn't see it coming cos everyone was lumped up. Just one shotted.

Lastgirl fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Jan 12, 2017

Pimp Drakula
Oct 12, 2013

When three enemies bead out of a Morrigan as Hades ult only for real Hades to pop up and ult immediately next to it in the path of retreat

cyclonic
Dec 15, 2005

Anyone getting rewards from watching Smite on Twitch? I haven't gotten anything in almost three days now.

VELOUR SPACESUIT
Feb 4, 2008

Well well well, this looks to be one disturbingly erotic post

cyclonic posted:

Anyone getting rewards from watching Smite on Twitch? I haven't gotten anything in almost three days now.

Same. I got gems from watching SWC and I have been leaving big Smite streamers up in the background and haven't received anything.

Also, hyped about Season 4 patch notes today. The map changes and new items they have hinted at seem pretty rad.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

New Skadi skin is simultaneously the best and worst skin ever made and I love it.

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat
Not happy with the Vamana visual update, he's perfect(ly ugly) just the way he is

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

I watched the entire patch notes live while chatting with a friend on Discord. Hirez constantly found new ways to baffle us throughout the entire thing.

cyclonic
Dec 15, 2005

HiRez again shows they don't know how to balance healers.

edit- for reference, here are the changes to Ra's heal over the years:
RELEASE STATS
Solar Blessing
Ra summons a pillar of blessed light that lasts for 6s. Allies inside the blessing are healed for 10/20/30/40/50 (+10% of your magical power) per second and gain a 10/15/20/25/30 magical and physical power bonus. Enemies are damaged for 20/35/50/65/80 (+20% of your magical power) magical damage and incur a 10/15/20/25/30 magical and physical power debuff. Cost - 65/75/85/95/105 mana. Cooldown - 18s.

Feb 28, 2013
Base healing has been reduced from 10/20/30/40/50 to 10/15/20/25/30 per tick.
Base damage has been reduced from 20/35/50/65/80 to 20/30/40/50/60 per tick.

Mar 15, 2013
The base healing has been increased from 10/15/20/25/30 to 10/18/26/34/42.
The base damage has been increased from 20/30/40/50/60 to 20/32/44/56/68.

Mar 28, 2013
The healing has been increased from 10/18/26/34/42 to 15/25/35/45/55.

Sep 18, 2013
The physical and magical power buff and debuff has been removed from this ability.
The base healing has been increased from 15/25/35/45/55 per tick to 20/30/40/50/60.
The magical contribution of the healing has been increased from 10% to 15%.

Season 4.1:
Decreased Base Healing from 20/30/40/50/60 → 10/20/30/40/50 per tick
Decreased Magical Power scaling on healing from 15% → 10% per tick
Now Provides 10/15/20/25/30 Magical and Physical Protections to allies inside the Ability

Patiently awaiting the protections to change to power so we come around full circle.

cyclonic fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Jan 19, 2017

beaner69
Sep 12, 2009
They should balance them by removing their healing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cyclonic
Dec 15, 2005

I missed a majority of the items on the live stream, but the patch notes are up now.

These items. These god balance changes. :psyduck:

• Locked thread