Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1238457282817675266
Bad news if you were hoping to use the lack of folks going outside as an excuse to enjoy some recreation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006

There is a Chinese summit attempt about to start.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-52157968

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
First COVID-19 patient to summit Everest. I honestly would not be surprised if someone tried.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
First summit in the Chinese Century

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

ZombieLenin posted:

First COVID-19 patient to summit Everest. I honestly would not be surprised if someone tried.

First summit with a ventilator hell yea

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Considering that covid-19 can cause permanent lung damage, sounds like a great plan for summitting a mountain where there isn't enough air to survive.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

It is just the new way to hide the Covid-19 deaths. Instead their death certificate will say mountaineering accident so they can pretend it isn’t as bad as it actually is.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Several hundred thousand attempting the summit seems reckless.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
the chinese government has declared no new deaths on mt everest

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

For those with reduced lung capacity, achieving an altitude of 9,029 ft now counts as summiting.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

photoshopping people onto everest will be a new premium sevrice

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.
Aren’t there already terrible hygiene problems on Everest?

I don’t know how long the virus survives in the cold, but it seems reckless to find out.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Platystemon posted:

I don’t know how long the virus survives in the cold, but it seems reckless to find out.

As a not-actually-alive virus, freezing temps could theoretically keep it live for years, and fecal matter is a large potential vector for it

which is to say, lol

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Platystemon posted:

Temperatures at Everest base camp go from about freezing at night to 60 degrees F in the day during the climbing months of April/May so it's not really very cold

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

drat, it's more extreme than that here right now, I should get some sort of medal.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

As a not-actually-alive virus, freezing temps could theoretically keep it live for years, and fecal matter is a large potential vector for it

which is to say, lol

Up to two years according to related coronavirus studies!

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Oracle posted:

Up to two years according to related coronavirus studies!

Great! So going forward the whole summiting with or without oxygen distinction could be replaced by “with or without COVID.”

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

The first person to summit while actively encouraging covid infection by thawing out a 6 ft diameter of snow and ice around them

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Just sitting up there on the summit, blocking it off because nobody can approach within 6 ft to make you move

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

Captain Hygiene posted:

Just sitting up there on the summit, blocking it off because nobody can approach within 6 ft to make you move

In the future photos of the traffic jams trying to summit will also show the tape strips placed 6 feet apart that have now become part of the normal Sherpa line fixing at the beginning of the climbing season.

Also, people will now be patted on the back for observing social distancing rules when completely ignore other climbers in distress.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.
Indian and Chinese troops have a punch-up at 4000m

Switzerland
Feb 18, 2005
Do what thou must do.
spiffy:

quote:

Mount Everest is Visible From Kathmandu, Nepal for First Time in Living Memory

https://snowbrains.com/everest-visible-kathmandu-nepal-first-time/

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Nature is healing

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jun/06/everyone-is-in-that-fine-line-between-death-and-life-inside-everests-deadliest-queue

You can't properly enjoy the summit because of all the corpses you had to pass by. :(

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

whenever this thread updates my heart grows three sizes

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Doc Fission posted:

whenever this thread updates my heart grows three sizes

Altitude sickness, be careful out there.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Will coronavirus be preserved as well as green boots’ green boots

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Varkk posted:

It is just the new way to hide the Covid-19 deaths. Instead their death certificate will say mountaineering accident so they can pretend it isn’t as bad as it actually is.

All these octogenarian mountaineers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

We're getting complaints about this thread, presumably because of the tone of the OP.

I've rebooted it for you, dear friends.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3933688

Since this thread started in GBS I'll put it to rest in the GBS Graveyard.